News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Great interludes
« on: January 01, 2024, 12:06:37 PM »
When I was active in my parish, I had a great musician. We played music together for thirty years. One of the things she did best happened between verses. For instance, Joy to The World was generally the last hymn sung on Christmas Eve. She would play an interlude between the third and fourth verses, building into a resounding fourth verse. The anticipation of the fourth verse was so palpable that people sang the fourth verse thunderously.

The same thing can apply to golf. The interlude between green and tee can generate excitement, hope, and exhilaration. The walks to the 15th tee, then the 16th tee at Cypress, are interludes that are second to none. They build tension and excitement. The first time I played The European Club, the walk from 14 green to 15 tee opened up a vista north and south on the Irish Sea. Even now, after many dozens of plays, I can’t wait for that 50-yard walk.

The walks from 12 green to 13 tee, and 3 green to 4 tee at Pacific Dunes create anticipation and a little fear.

While those walks do not appear on your scorecard, they add to the game's overall experience.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 03:55:54 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

Re: Great interludes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 12:27:23 PM »
The walk from the 2nd green to the 3rd tee at Royal Dornoch, where a view of much of the course is revealed, is well known. If you are there in mid-May, when the gorse that encircles the course is in full yellow bloom, the view is stunning.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 01:15:19 PM »
The walk from the 2nd green to the 3rd tee at Royal Dornoch, where a view of much of the course is revealed, is well known. If you are there in mid-May, when the gorse that encircles the course is in full yellow bloom, the view is stunning.

Six to seven is pretty nice too.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 01:16:42 PM »
Yes, indeed it is. :)

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 01:22:58 PM »

Great thread:

The beautiful path through the dunes between 11 and 12 at Pacific Grove, with the ocean reveal.

At Lions Muny in Austin, on the long walk between 11 and 12, there is a route that takes you underneath a century oak, full canopy to the ground in every direction.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 11:51:13 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 01:44:40 PM »
The walk to the 9th tee at Cruden Bay is worth the exertion.

I also have good memories of the walk from 4 to 5 at the River Club at Kohler given the beauty of the 5th hole.

14 to 15 at Crail Balcomie does not create a sense of expectation, but it sure is scenic.

Happy New Year to all.

Ben Sims

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 01:51:48 PM »
There’s going to be a walk from 2 green to 3 tee at Cabot Highlands that’s going to be pretty legit. I won’t spoil it, but it’s gonna be a pretty cool transition.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 02:18:56 PM »
If you walk it, instead of taking the shuttle, the walk from 13 to 14 at Bandon Trails leaves you breathless in more than one way.
St. John of the Cross

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 03:13:17 PM »

I was giving a tour to a newcomer there last year and I had built up the reveal, only to find that it's nowhere near as dramatic as it used to be, now that they've tucked the 3rd tee down lower to keep the new houses on the left of the hole safe.  Times have changed in Dornoch!

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 03:27:25 PM »
Tom -

I first played Dornoch in 2000, so I have only played the 3rd hole from its current tee. It don't know how impressive the "reveal" from the prior walk used to be, but the current one is still very good.

And the view walking the length of the new 7th hole is VERY impressive.

DT

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 03:29:05 PM »
I'm reminded of the walk from #3 green to #4 tee at Pacific Dunes.  What a reveal!

WW

Tal Oz

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 04:36:36 PM »
Friar's Head with the bridge from 15 green to 16 tee being breathtaking.

I'd nominate the elevator at Bel-Air to 10 tee.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 04:51:25 PM »
Friar's Head with the bridge from 15 green to 16 tee being breathtaking.

It is an unexpected walk on your first time there.

St. John of the Cross

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 05:11:50 PM »
The walk from 5 green to 6 tee at The Creek where LI Sound comes into view as well as the remaining twelve holes is a favorite.

The walk from the approach to the top of the plateau on 15 at Sleepy Hollow with the punchbowl green, 2nd green, 16th green and the Hudson and Palisades on the perimeter is almost sensory overload in the best way possible.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 05:57:56 PM by Tim Martin »

JohnVDB

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 05:46:32 PM »
I'm reminded of the walk from #3 green to #4 tee at Pacific Dunes.  What a reveal!

WW

The walk up from the second green to the third tee is also a great reveal.  You up there and see all that golf course out there.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2024, 06:22:53 PM »
Barnbougle has a nice little walk after #4.
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2024, 08:54:09 PM »
3 to 4 at Ballyneal is also a great one. 

I hesitate to mention it, because it's way better if you don't know it's coming, you really wouldn't expect it right then.  Indeed I did not expect it myself when I walked up around that corner the first time, looking for a way to connect the routing down to the lower part of the property.  Found it!

Phil Young

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2024, 11:09:22 PM »
I will never forget the awe I felt when I finished the third hole on Bethpage Black during my first round on it in my teens. There between trees was a path leading downhill to a long tee box that pointed to a plateau, the corner of the fairway which went around a massive bunker that led to the longest and largest bunker I had ever even imagined on the face of the slope leading up to another plateau with the fairway leading on past massive bunkers in the front of the green that sat to the left of the fairway...

It was so unexpected, especially at my age and one who had never even set foot on a 'country club' golf course, and awe-inspiring To this day that is one the greatest view I have ever seen on any course. It changed the way I would look at every golf course I've ever set my foot on. Since then, when I am on a course for the first time, I spend most of my time wondering what entered the architects mind when he designed that hole and course, what he envisioned before creating what lay before me.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2024, 11:22:51 PM »
Tommy--

Thank you so very much for creating this superbly positive thread!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2024, 11:24:49 PM »
   I’m partial to the walk from the 14th green to 15th tee at Teeth of the Dog. It’s a dark, tree covered 100 yard walk past Oscar de la Renta’s old house. When you turn a corner, the Caribbean Sea appears before you. Very special.

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2024, 04:27:05 AM »
The 3rd to 4th at St Pat’s is cool. Ascend about 20 feet during a short walk and bam. Great view: Good hole. Short walk. The interlude was playing 1-3. Perfect.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 04:32:59 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2024, 08:50:42 AM »
The 3rd to 4th at St Pat’s is cool. Ascend about 20 feet during a short walk and bam. Great view: Good hole. Short walk. The interlude was playing 1-3. Perfect.
Ciao

Agree about the above.

St Patricks 13th green to 14th tee also.

Carne has a few - can't work out the numbering there these days - used to be 10th tee to 11th tee of the original-9 - and also 1st tee to 2nd green on what was the Kilmore-9. 8th to 9th on Kilmore-9 damn good too.

Two great places to play golf.

atb

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2024, 10:36:20 AM »
14 to 15 at Crail Balcomie does not create a sense of expectation, but it sure is scenic.
That's a lovely walk.  Sadly, as you suggest, it also coincides with knowing that the best golf holes on the course are all behind you!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2024, 10:46:17 AM »
I used to love the walk from the back of Yale's 9th green up the hill to the 10th tee, on an eroding path through the thick forest understory. The ground became sandy and the railroad tie steps were irregular and eroding and it was a good little workout, but there was something about making it to the 10th tee and seeing that hole and 18.

Alas, about eight or nine years ago, they re-routed a cart path, which used to take a long, circuitous route through the forest, that's now like a super highway...and there isn't even a standalone walking path.

There's still a very good route from the front of the 9th green to the 10th hole (or clubhouse) along Greist Pond which is attractive if you forgive a few bits of unattractive fencing around the pump house and other debris.

And there's also a terrific walk down and up from the 13th tee to the green. It isn't trolley friendly and the steps can be treacherous when wet, but it is always a nice moment for the group to walk and chat during that transfer.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:00:38 AM by Colin Sheehan »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2024, 11:05:37 AM »
There are probably numerous spots at both Shanqin Bay and Cape Wickham. Lovely sites with great views from the clubhouses as well.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back