News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Open Competitions are the key to bargain golf in the UK
« on: November 07, 2023, 02:31:39 PM »
Many American golfers would like to play golf in Scotland but think it’s too darned expensive. Tour operators want thousands of dollars for package tours featuring a half-dozen “trophy” courses and expensive lodging.
But what if you could book top-drawer golf courses in Scotland, or throughout the United Kingdom, for an average of $20 to $60 each? Would you start making travel plans? And if your trip offered a little competition, golf with the locals, and post-round socializing at their clubs, would that make the prospect more attractive?
All this is possible when you discover Open Competitions—the best-kept secret to booking bargain golf in the United Kingdom.
Hundreds of Open Competitions are held throughout the UK from March through October at courses big and small, famous and obscure. Incredibly, entry fees typically range from £15 to £45 (roughly $19 to $57). Events are held in a variety of categories: Seniors, Scratch, Men’s, Ladies, Mixed Couples, Pairs, Teams, Juniors, and “Special Interest” (e.g., parent/child). Groups of any size can enlist, a boon for single golfers but just as good for twos, threes, fours, or more.
Read more:
https://linksmagazine.com/open-competitions-bargain-golf-uk

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe_Tucholski

Re: Open Competitions are the key to bargain golf in the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 07:22:50 PM »
I've played in a number.  I do think courses are getting smart to Americans playing in their open comps.  I booked into the Thursday comp at Enniscrone in June and received an e-mail the next day that I wasn't eligible with my GHIN number and needed to be a Golf Ireland member.   Honestly couldn't blame them and played with a reciprocal rate as an overseas member elsewhere.  They let me keep my tee time so still played with locals (who were in the comp).

The multi day events across different courses seem to almost target visitors from overseas.  They seem to be like society events and have a decent discount, but not quite as solid as the genuine open comps.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 12:16:01 AM »
I've played in a number.  I do think courses are getting smart to Americans playing in their open comps.  I booked into the Thursday comp at Enniscrone in June and received an e-mail the next day that I wasn't eligible with my GHIN number and needed to be a Golf Ireland member.   Honestly couldn't blame them and played with a reciprocal rate as an overseas member elsewhere.  They let me keep my tee time so still played with locals (who were in the comp).

The multi day events across different courses seem to almost target visitors from overseas.  They seem to be like society events and have a decent discount, but not quite as solid as the genuine open comps.

Most will only accept those with an official handicap, those without are excluded. 

Not quite sure how an Irish Club excluding those who are not Golf Ireland members is "getting wise to Americans". I hold an Irish passport and I'd be excluded. As ever read the small print.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ken Moum

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 12:25:08 AM »
Joe, I can see  why they might feel that way, but the fact is that the "World Handicap System," isn't.  Not yet anyway.

My wife and I played in eight comps this summer and were welcomed with open arms. BUT, in every case our handicaps were an issue.

We could open the GHIN app and give them our index, thereby getting a course handicap. (Every course had a chart posted to do that.)

But they use a web-based scoring system and we were never able to access it.

The WHS is a nice idea, but it's not there yet
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 01:12:18 AM »

Most will only accept those with an official handicap, those without are excluded. 

Not quite sure how an Irish Club excluding those who are not Golf Ireland members is "getting wise to Americans". I hold an Irish passport and I'd be excluded. As ever read the small print.

Tony pretty sure my handicap associated with the United States Golf Association's (USGA) Golf Handicap Information Network (GHIN) is official.

Maybe I should have said they are getting wise to visitors playing in open comps.  Kind of goes along with the prices in Scotland thread...and as I said I don't blame them.

James Reader

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 02:43:43 AM »
Golf Empire is a fantastic resource if you’re looking for open competitions in the UK.

https://www.golfempire.co.uk/

JohnVDB

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 08:26:54 PM »
The problem with handicapping has primarily been because they couldn’t lookup overseas handicaps anymore.  In Scotland, the clubs can currently only see handicaps from Scotland, England and Wales.

This was a problem when events such as Dornoch’s Carnegie Shield had large amounts of overseas entrants. The staff there had asked me if there was a solution.

I had contact with one of the staff at the USGA a few weeks ago and learned that this will no longer be a problem starting in January or February. Clubs will have access to handicaps throughout the world. Basically Scotland, England and Wales have been beta testing the new system.

That being said, I suppose Enniscrone only wants Irish players in the “open” event.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2023, 05:34:57 AM »
For many clubs these are intended as an opportunity to show prospective members what the club and course is like.  International visitors weren't a prime motivation and as shown, sometimes disqualified.

An Open week eg Deal or Brora offers a real opportunity to be a member for a week.
Both of these are also very popular with the members and there are cash prizes as additional incentive.

For many golfers it does offer an opportunity to play courses they wouldn't otherwise spring for. Some make a point of returning year after year to a course and an event they love.

A consequence of inflated green fees is that for most golfers, destination courses have become play once and done.  Sad as a great course reveals itself over multiple plays.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 05:47:12 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Steve Wilson

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2023, 12:49:27 PM »
I happened to be in the pro shop at Golspie during one of their Open competitions.  A young man from France came in with his group and was trying to get his handicap straightened out.  He thought he should have been playing to a nine and the system had him down at 31.  It took some time but the pro was able to access the proper site or files and was able to adjust his score with the proper handicap.  So he went from a nett 54 to a 76.  So, yes there are problems in the handicap system.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Ken Moum

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 11:32:22 PM »
I happened to be in the pro shop at Golspie during one of their Open competitions.  A young man from France came in with his group and was trying to get his handicap straightened out.  He thought he should have been playing to a nine and the system had him down at 31.  It took some time but the pro was able to access the proper site or files and was able to adjust his score with the proper handicap.  So he went from a nett 54 to a 76.  So, yes there are problems in the handicap system.

Gotta give him credit for reporting it.  I know some people who'd have taken the prize and acted like they were winners.

Fortunately I no longer associate with them.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Steve Wilson

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 09:22:46 AM »
That was the cool thing about the incident, Ken.  The young man was genuinely distressed. 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back