News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Damage at Golspie GC
« on: October 29, 2023, 01:33:04 PM »
I am afraid the recent and continuing storms in Scotland have brought a recurrence of the coastal erosion and flooding that hit Golspie GC hard 10-12 years ago. I have seen a few photos and they are not a pretty sight.

There has been erosion of the sea wall along the 4th hole. There is massive flooding in the areas in front of the 5th & 17th tees and the 6th & 7th tees. 

There has been erosion along the coastline in Golspie for at least 100 years. The golf course and the town itself are at risk.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 06:52:34 PM by David_Tepper »

jeffwarne

Re: Damage at Golspie GC
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 01:50:17 PM »
Sorry to hear David.
Golspie was the highlight of our recent trip(even though I had been there before-better than ever)
Please keep us posted.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 02:21:38 PM »
There’s some horrific video and photos on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/golspiegolfclub1889
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 05:29:02 PM »
For those not aware, the course used to start at the end of town. What is now the 3rd hole at Golspie used to be the first hole and what is now the 2nd green used to the 18th green.

The original clubhouse (photo linked below) was located between what used to be the 1st tee (now the 3rd tee) and the water. It was lost to coastal erosion a long time ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rcahms/9320663220
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 05:42:25 PM by David_Tepper »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 04:02:18 AM »
Forecast not good for later in the week either, with another storm coming in.

East Coast of Scotland has taken some battering this past month.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 07:33:29 AM »
I hate to see this.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 07:58:18 AM »
Not nice to see and fingers crossed hopefully all will be okay at any course which suffers or has a damage issue but it's worth remembering that the type of links terrain that is so popular for golf was itself essentially created by storms, eroded and deposited material etc.
atb

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 10:38:37 AM »
Fingers indeed crossed. It is a very special place.

Ira

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 05:18:34 AM »
Fear for a few other courses too. Carnoustie seems to have suffered considerable flooding. Hope the vulnerable holes at the likes of Montrose are ok.
Atb

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 07:06:23 AM »
There's some damage at Balcomie, as the course was closed yesterday.  Not sure how bad.  I assume that the holes to suffer will have bee 4 and 5, which in the past have seen significant deposits of sand during storms.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David_Tepper

Steve Wilson

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 01:12:09 PM »
The good news from Golspie is that the course has reopened but the bad news is that holes 5, 6, and 7 are still closed.  I haven't gleaned from their emails when they think the course will be fully reopened. 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 04:48:38 PM »
Word is Royal Dornoch suffered some (minor) damage as well. Ocean debris was thrown on to the 9th fairway and there was some erosion in the dunes protecting the 12th & 13 holes. 

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »
Terrible- I had a wonderful time there in September, hope to make it back there again. Keep us posted.

Ken Moum

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2023, 11:30:31 PM »
Terrible- I had a wonderful time there in September, hope to make it back there again. Keep us posted.

The latest communication from the club had this to say, "Please note that the course has been fully reopened albeit with some new water features on the 6th[/size] and playing a shortened 7[/color]th[/size] but both will be clear before long.  Special thanks to the Greens Staff for a heroic effort."[/color]
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2023, 06:09:38 AM »

The latest communication from the club had this to say, "Please note that the course has been fully reopened albeit with some new water features on the 6th and playing a shortened 7th but both will be clear before long.  Special thanks to the Greens Staff for a heroic effort."
I can't remember a year when we've had so much rain in Northern Britain.  My home club (heathland/parkland) was closed for three weeks, not because of damage but simply because of the volume of rain that had fallen.  Even now we're on several temporary greens and our par 5 3rd plays as a short par 4 because of a brand new water feature. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back