News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: OT - The benefits of switching to "lamb mowers"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 03:01:42 PM »
Ugh, the subscriptions of NYT and WP.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 03:32:09 PM »
In the bay area there is a company that does this with goats. They are typically hired by the city to clear out brush in particularly difficult terrain or dense wooded areas, especially around fire season. I typically see them when cycling or hiking through the ridge lines in more out-of-the-way areas.

David, you can probably see them if you walk through the Presidio with any regularity. I've seen them multiple times, just east of Harrison Blvd, near the Rob Hill Campground. I've also seen them on the East Ridge Trail in Oakland.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 03:40:19 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
I’ve been saying for years that sheep mow, I mean nibble, grass to the perfect fairway height and not in straight or pre-ordained lines either and that goats are terrific at clearing scrub and brush and the like from all sorts of terrain.
While in some parts of the World there may be issues with other animals attacking or wanting to eat them for lunch in many places if folk could get over their prejudices regarding aspects of conditioning the game would be less expensive and a damn sight better off and likely would be less susceptible to criticism by the likes of environmental and political lobbyists etc.
There said it!
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 04:41:07 AM »
I’ve been saying for years that sheep mow, I mean nibble, grass to the perfect fairway height and not in straight or pre-ordained lines either and that goats are terrific at clearing scrub and brush and the like from all sorts of terrain.
While in some parts of the World there may be issues with other animals attacking or wanting to eat them for lunch in many places if folk could get over their prejudices regarding aspects of conditioning the game would be less expensive and a damn sight better off and likely would be less susceptible to criticism by the likes of environmental and political lobbyists etc.
There said it!
Atb

I agree. Plus, it’s usually the case that sheep grazed courses have great golf turf. Sheepshit is a small price to pay. Besides, I am sure a machine exists or can be easily adapted to sweep shit.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 01:52:08 PM »
There said it!
Atb

I agree. Plus, it’s usually the case that sheep grazed courses have great golf turf. Sheepshit is a small price to pay. Besides, I am sure a machine exists or can be easily adapted to sweep shit.

Ciao

The turf height is fantastic.
In my limited but interested research they don't appear to love bermuda, though opinions(of people no the sheep) seem mixed.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 10:46:19 AM »
There said it!
Atb

Ciao

I believe that TOC had grazing up until about 1911 or 1912. The R&A looked in to bringing it back some time in the mid 1920's from memory and wrote to a number of clubs seeking advice and experience. In the end they didn't do it, probably because any perceived benefits were outweighed by the downside.

I'd imagine that would still be the case for most clubs. Certainly I recall asking a friend and former member of this site if he ever considered having grazing on his 9 hole course and IIRC he had considered it and was fairly emphatic in discounting it as a good idea. There's a tendency to think you simply put the sheep on and leave them to their own devices but there is a lot of animal husbandry involved (or so I'm told).

While we all love the likes of Brora and Minch, the reason why there are animals grazing on those courses is because the land is common/common good and therefore the clubs don't have exclusive use of it. If it wasn't for that, would those courses still have animal grazing ? I suspect not. And if the clubs were given the chance now to get rid of the sheep and the cows would they take it ? I suspect that a fair proportion of the members would jump at it.

Niall
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 11:13:05 AM by Niall C »

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 06:19:30 AM »
There said it!
Atb

Ciao

I believe that TOC had grazing up until about 1911 or 1912. The R&A looked in to bringing it back some time in the mid 1920's from memory and wrote to a number of clubs seeking advice and experience. In the end they didn't do it, probably because any perceived benefits were outweighed by the downside.

I'd imagine that would still be the case for most clubs. Certainly I recall asking a friend and former member of this site if he ever considered having grazing on his 9 hole course and IIRC he had considered it and was fairly emphatic in discounting it as a good idea. There's a tendency to think you simply put the sheep on and leave them to their own devices but there is a lot of animal husbandry involved (or so I'm told).

While we all love the likes of Brora and Minch, the reason why there are animals grazing on those courses is because the land is common/common good and therefore the clubs don't have exclusive use of it. If it wasn't for that, would those courses still have animal grazing ? I suspect not. And if the clubs were given the chance now to get rid of the sheep and the cows would they take it ? I suspect that a fair proportion of the members would jump at it.

Niall

Of course most clubs don’t want animals. I believe this to be bad take if only because multiple use of land makes sense…especially if you like lamb 😎. I think things like chemical applications and fences are a pain in the ass. But I never liked the idea of grazing cows, it’s a necessary evil here and there.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back