News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Are big green side fans still in vogue?
« on: October 24, 2023, 09:45:29 AM »
Going through my emails from some time ago I was quite upset about green side fans. I feel like I’m not seeing them as often, or ever. Was I right in that they were nothing but a tribute to a bloated budget? Or, were fans a genius plot to convince memberships that tree removal isn’t the worst thing that can happen on a course?

Playing with fans on during a rain is a treat I will not miss.

Tom_Doak

Re: Are big green side fans still in vogue?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 09:48:09 AM »
Fans were a crutch to try and grow Bentgrass in places it wouldn't grow.

Now most of those courses have Bermuda grass greens.  Some of them have also installed millions of dollars worth of cooling apparatus under the greens, so you don't have to look at a fan.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 10:20:56 AM »
I owe an apology to turf research. Loved “crutch”.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 10:22:01 AM »
I owe an apology to turf research. Loved “crutch”.

Since I was hard on you in the other thread..

This is all accurate.  :D
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 11:28:08 AM »
They are still used at Pinehurst #9.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 11:41:47 AM »
I saw some this summer in Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina, but yes, courses that could afford it have changed from bent to some hybrid Bermuda. Given the quality of grasses today, I think older courses with bent would have used Bermuda when they built them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 12:24:31 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Marshall

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 12:23:04 PM »
The is on on the 7th green on Oak Hill East
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 12:36:49 PM »

Given the recent renovation coupled with the climate of Rochester, NY you have to ask if they are insane.

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 12:38:33 PM »
OSU Scarlet tends to use one on #16 in the dog days of summer. I've never quite understood that since the green is relatively elevated and open.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 07:44:13 PM »
On courses in the SE that still have Bent greens, including my club, fans are not only still here, they’re pretty essential.  They aren’t used on all greens; just the ones with poor air circulation because of trees.  And many times, these are not trees that can be thinned out or cut down because they’re not on golf course property.  I think we have them well under half the holes, and it seems a VERY small price to pay for having good greens throughout the summer.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 08:50:59 PM »

Given the recent renovation coupled with the climate of Rochester, NY you have to ask if they are insane.

You mocking my climate?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2023, 09:32:50 PM »
I thought Rochester was RoMo land. Played Oak Hill a few years ago. Best climate for golf I ever saw.

Here’s a nice drone video of the 7th. Wow.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/golf/pga/2023/05/17/oak-hill-country-club-drone-video-of-each-hole-pga-championship/70214613007/

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2023, 09:38:39 PM »
I thought Rochester was RoMo land. Played Oak Hill a few years ago. Best climate for golf I ever saw.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/golf/pga/2023/05/17/oak-hill-country-club-drone-video-of-each-hole-pga-championship/70214613007/

Best climate for golf one month a year?

archie_struthers

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2023, 10:19:01 PM »
 8)

Global Cooling

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2023, 10:45:17 PM »
They exist in the summer in Dallas. They are essential for human survival in August, which is also a less busy time.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2023, 08:58:33 AM »
I saw some this summer in Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina, but yes, courses that could afford it have changed from bent to some hybrid Bermuda. Given the quality of grasses today, I think older courses with bent would have used Bermuda when they built them.

Tommy,

I think there’s more to it than just money.  There are new strains of bent, like Pure Eclipse, that courses with plenty of money have recently put in; Raleigh CC, which is the flagship of the McConnell Golf group, where money is plentiful, and Alamance CC have both done this.

My club will be hosting the NC Amateur next year, and not only are we still Bent grass, but our greens could hardly be better.  Supers have gotten a LOT better at managing Bent in the heat of summer; I think they “follow the science” more now, instead of a formulaic schedule of two big core aeration’s per year like the old days.  The courses in the SE that DO still have Bent, have better greens than they’ve ever had.

And, at the risk of getting deeper in the weeds than I should, I think some issues with Bermuda have cropped up. One is segregation; on courses that were early adopters of Champion, like Duke, you’ll see the grain change a couple of times on a long putt.  Another issue with Bermuda, at least in certain areas, is the need to cover them in the cold.  It takes a LOT of manpower to put the covers on and then to take them off, they sit by the greens for 5 months of the year, then have to be stored the rest of the time.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 09:07:00 AM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Rob Marshall

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2023, 10:22:00 AM »

Best climate for golf one month a year?

Come on at least two months..................May is always hit or miss and usually a miss.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back