News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

New Courses
« on: October 12, 2023, 10:29:29 AM »
With so many exciting courses around the world recently opened or opening in the near future, which one would you want to join and why?

Ira

Mark Pearce

Re: New Courses
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 03:21:36 AM »
If I'm joining a golf club, it's the club that matters though the course should be "good enough".  I wouldn't want to join a club that didn't really function as a club.  For me, the perfect golf club is the Golf House Club, which plays on a course that is much, much better than "good enough".  I'm already a member there, so the answer is none of them.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 06:54:38 AM »
Lido for the reason I’m a fan of Macdonald/Doak and have always been intrigued by the original. All the reviews have been glowingly positive.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 07:38:56 AM »
If I'm joining a golf club, it's the club that matters though the course should be "good enough".  I wouldn't want to join a club that didn't really function as a club.  For me, the perfect golf club is the Golf House Club, which plays on a course that is much, much better than "good enough".  I'm already a member there, so the answer is none of them.

Mark,

As you know, I agree completely with you about the Golf House Club. Unfortunately, my wife still does not want to spend the whole summer in Scotland as much as she loves it there. Elie was her favorite round of our recent 9 different courses trip. And the club could not have been more welcoming.

Ira

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 09:52:14 AM »
Ira

The whole summer in Scotland ? You mean she doesn't want to spend more than a long weekend over here ?

Niall

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 11:08:55 AM »
Ira

The whole summer in Scotland ? You mean she doesn't want to spend more than a long weekend over here ?

Niall

I have been bugging her to spend 3-4 months every year. She likes the two week trips. Her reasons are good so I cannot really complain especially because she loves to travel for golf.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 11:17:28 AM »
Ira

Niall

I have been bugging her to spend 3-4 months every year. She likes the two week trips. Her reasons are good so I cannot really complain especially because she loves to travel for golf.

Is it the food? ;D

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 04:17:54 AM »
Ira

Niall
Luxury. Our summer fell on a Wednesday again.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 02:09:53 PM »
I think in real life I’d say Jay Blasi’s GGPGC redesign for location reasons alone, though I don’t think they will have a club. I’m doing fine, but not summer-in-Scotland fine.

With my mixed feelings about the American private system and my heavy preference for links golf, if money and location are no object, I’d probably go with Te Arai, though the no pet’s policy raises an eyebrow.

It’s really amazing that so many artist of engineering are creating these masterpieces. I feel like I’ve not yet lived through a golf renaissance in my lifetime, but it really feels like we are fully in the middle of one now.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 02:11:44 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tim Gallant

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 02:25:14 PM »
I would love to see Old Barnwell. From what I've seen in photos, it looks like they've done a great job of blending interesting, varied golf, with some victorian era features, and also features that you might see on a Braid course. I love the look of the 16th green. Most great modern courses now try to hide earthwork and make it blend in to the surrounds, which is great. But I do like the idea of being intentional with not doing that to achieve a different look or feel/play.

The Lido is an obvious one, and I'm hoping to get there in the next year or two.

I'm also excited to see Cabot Highlands. A new course in Scotland is always neat, and it will be wonderful to see what Clyde can do as Lead Associate. I know how funky he likes his GCA, so I fully expect some quirk and fun in there.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 04:08:16 AM »
Yes, Old Barnwell interests me a ton. Brian isn't afraid to break from the natural looking mantra of recent years which I highly appreciate. Everything Brian gets involved with looks high quality.

7 Mile Beach also intrigues me.

So far as joining? None have remotely interested me.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 03:07:28 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jim Tang

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 09:02:01 AM »
Te Arai looks to be ideal. Links golf next to the ocean, through exposed sandy dunes in weather that is much warmer than what Ireland or Scotland has to offer. I've heard great things about Old Barnwell and I appreciate the ethos of the club.

There are so many exciting projects under development around the world. It's difficult to keep track of all of them.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2023, 01:08:05 PM »
I will answer my own question.

Old Barnwell—the ethic and ethics seem spot on.

Tree Farm—Zac Blair’s persistence and intelligence deserve huge kudos.

Sedge Valley—Swinley Forest is a particular favorite.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2023, 07:20:40 PM »
Cabot St. Lucia is #1 for me. As a citizen of NJ, something really excellent for a warmer winter sounds perfect!

Old Barnwell. As the previous poster, Ira Fishman, said it best: the ethic and ethics seem spot on. I also am a great admirer of Brian Schneider and Blake Conant's work.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 07:48:07 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Brian Finn

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2023, 04:50:50 PM »
Does anyone have any information on 21 Golf Club?  Near Aiken, SC.  Apparently, 2 courses planned - one King-Collins original design, and the second actual construction of MacKenzie's mythical El Boqueron.  I just heard about it for the first time this morning.  Their website has a fair bit of info.
www.21golfclub.com

New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2023, 10:36:03 PM »
Does anyone have any information on 21 Golf Club?  Near Aiken, SC.  Apparently, 2 courses planned - one King-Collins original design, and the second actual construction of MacKenzie's mythical El Boqueron.  I just heard about it for the first time this morning.  Their website has a fair bit of info.
www.21golfclub.com

That seems super cool, the Lost MacKenzie course looks like it could be really unique.  With how Lido turned out, I am excited to see what could become of this other lost historical course.  And this time in my own backyard.
[/size][/color]
[/size]I might get to play Old Barnwell for the first time Friday.  I have driven the property a few times during construction.  I can't wait to see it grassed.[/color]
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back