News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: The LaCava incident. How would you have reacted?
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2023, 09:39:11 PM »
No-one makes the European fans out to be saints.  No-one has in this thread.  No-one has anywhere else.
Complete bull right there. Plenty of people - European fans, Euro media - have said as much.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2023, 03:57:32 AM »
https://golf.com/news/fred-couples-rory-mcilroy-joe-lacava-dust-up/

From his vantage point, Couples said he didn’t see any “disrespectful” behavior from LaCava — who, it should be noted, caddied for Couples for more than two decades — as McIlroy would later characterize LaCava’s actions.
“I want someone to tell me where anything that happened is disrespectful,” Couples said. “I didn’t see it. Patrick screamed, which he doesn’t do very often and he tipped his fake cap. We all were on the front of the green. No one moved. We just took our hats off and made little circles with our hats.  ;D

But what, did someone do a Justin Leonard, ran across the green? Patrick didn’t.”  :o

Mark Pearce

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2023, 04:22:13 AM »
No-one makes the European fans out to be saints.  No-one has in this thread.  No-one has anywhere else.
Complete bull right there. Plenty of people - European fans, Euro media - have said as much.
Yeah.  That's how you roll.  No proof, bare assertion.  If there are plenty of examples, give me a handful.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2023, 07:53:41 PM »
Yeah.  That's how you roll.  No proof, bare assertion. If there are plenty of examples, give me a handful.
Ha! Sure thing, Mark. I'm consistently one of the few people here who present actual evidence, data, and information that goes beyond the anecdotal.

I don't need to give you a handful. You said "nobody," so one is sufficient. And, to be perfectly blunt… I don't really feel the need to go look something up for you. I'm confident that you can find one (or twenty) such statements amongst the European writers in a few minutes. You do know that European writers are STILL bitter about 1999, right?

You can search for articles that reference how European fans don't cheer for bad shots or balls in the water or missed putts by team USA (they do). You can search for articles that talk about how European fans don't get nasty or involve the player's wives or girlfriends (it's a small minority even in the U.S. crowds, but they exist in Europe, too). You can search for articles about how European fans are all just a happy, cheerful bunch with great songs (the songs are good, don't get me wrong, but the fans are also rooting against team USA, and are vocal about it too).

Heck, listen to a few of the podcasts from NLU about the Ryder Cup. Their history podcasts contain a bunch of these types of quotes.

Or don't, Mark. I don't really care to take the time to show you what I already know to be true.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Jason Thurman

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2023, 12:04:07 AM »
But like... cite a quote? Nobody is gonna jack up their YouTube algorithm for the sake of your argument lol.

I'd focus real hard and I would give the putt a hell of a run, ideally making it. Regardless of outcome, the first thing I would say into a nearby microphone would be something like "Well, I try not to party in my opponents' lines after I make a birdie putt, but they haven't had a lot to celebrate this week so they just got a little carried away. It's understandable. Hats off indeed it was a hell of a putt."
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2023, 03:57:59 AM »
But like... cite a quote? Nobody is gonna jack up their YouTube algorithm for the sake of your argument lol.
LoL
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2023, 09:10:40 AM »
Thing is… I know what I've seen and heard and read, and there's nothing to be gained in proving Mark wrong here except to spend five or ten minutes of my life looking into something I know to be true.

Since I was on Twitter (or X), a quick search there will reveal these sentiments: that Euro fans have been better at not cheering bad shots by the opposition, etc. Limit the search to 2021 and you'll find a LOT more "oh, the Euro fans never behave like that, they never cheer bad shots, they never taunt players, etc."

https://twitter.com/Seventy2MX/status/1708486692405940669
https://twitter.com/MidwestGolfJake/status/1709200764831187410
https://twitter.com/MichaelVerity/status/1708193815104827399
https://twitter.com/AlmostFamous349/status/1708131832099737984 - This guy's apparently still pissed about 1991 and 1999.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2023, 11:10:41 AM »
Given New Yorkers already have a less than stellar reputation at big golfing events...

Bethpage 2025 could be next level in the bad behavior/drama department

David Cronan

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2023, 11:40:59 AM »
Given New Yorkers already have a less than stellar reputation at big golfing events...

Sporting event + legalized gambling on said event + alcohol + boisterous fans + proximity of fans to participating athletes + encouragement of fan participation by aforementioned athletes + xenophobic behavior in event comprised of teams from 2 continents

= Potential ShatShow that may very well alter the competition moving forward

Kalen Braley

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2023, 12:35:14 PM »
David great summation.

Most of those have been happening for quite awhile now, but with the more recent popularity of bet on anything, anywhere, anytime from your phone...it could really start having a big impact on outcomes like it did this past summer. It only takes 1 in a sea of tens of thousands.

https://golf.com/lifestyle/celebrities/mardy-fish-backswing-scream-acc/

Tim Martin

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2023, 03:06:59 PM »
If they had adjustable hats instead of fitted this never would have happened….

Rob Marshall

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2023, 08:51:27 PM »
If they had adjustable hats instead of fitted this never would have happened….

Lol,
That’s what I was thinking. They can fit the clothes but not the hat? The two of them don’t do the advance trip. The agent/father of one says they should be paid. Faxon says they want to be paid…….hum
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2023, 09:15:30 PM »

Yeah… it could be bad. David Cronan's post drives that point home.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Carl Johnson

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2023, 09:30:37 PM »
I've no interest in these team events any longer.  Boorish behavior all around.  Hey, we have the NHL for that.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2023, 09:47:25 PM »
I've no interest in these team events any longer.  Boorish behavior all around.  Hey, we have the NHL for that.
Not much until the playoffs, when it's not only allowed but massively encouraged.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Rob Marshall

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2023, 10:37:19 PM »
I’ve always been amazed that there are guys on teams whose job revolves around what would land your average Joe with a felony charge. Never understood it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2023, 08:29:42 AM »
 Would the atmosphere be any different in 2025 if the event was being held in Philadelphia or Boston? For anybody that wants to play for god and country on the biggest stage Bethpage is it. Game on! :)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2023, 11:37:36 AM »
Sporting event + legalized gambling on said event + alcohol + boisterous fans + proximity of fans to participating athletes + encouragement of fan participation by aforementioned athletes + xenophobic behavior in event comprised of teams from 2 continents
= Potential ShatShow that may very well alter the competition moving forward
Just what I was getting at in my initial OP.
And later on how to react or plan to react going ahead as a player/Captain/organiser etc if/when inappropriate or hostile behaviour etc etc occur.
Atb

Kalen Braley

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2023, 11:56:09 AM »
Would the atmosphere be any different in 2025 if the event was being held in Philadelphia or Boston? For anybody that wants to play for god and country on the biggest stage Bethpage is it. Game on! :)

Tim,

Perhaps if we're talking baseball or football, I would think Philly is your pick if your goal is providing a very hostile environment for the opponent. When it comes to golf thou, its gotta be either NYC or perhaps Scottsdale, AZ as a close second.  ;)

Thomas,

I think your last point gets a bit tricky.  Why would the organizers be interested in taming down the Ryder Cup?  If anything the drama/bad blood is only going to bring in more clicks, ratings, and new eyeballs to the event.  Its a bit like a massive pileup on the turnpike, you can't help but look.

Tim Martin

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2023, 12:15:04 PM »

Tim,

Perhaps if we're talking baseball or football, I would think Philly is your pick if your goal is providing a very hostile environment for the opponent. When it comes to golf thou, it’s gotta be either NYC or perhaps Scottsdale, AZ as a close second.  ;)

Kalen-My point is that whether it’s NY, Philadelphia or Boston they would all be appropriately patriotic. ;D

Rob Marshall

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2023, 12:20:19 PM »

Tim,

Perhaps if we're talking baseball or football, I would think Philly is your pick if your goal is providing a very hostile environment for the opponent. When it comes to golf thou, its gotta be either NYC or perhaps Scottsdale, AZ as a close second.  ;)

Thomas,

I think your last point gets a bit tricky.  Why would the organizers be interested in taming down the Ryder Cup?  If anything the drama/bad blood is only going to bring in more clicks, ratings, and new eyeballs to the event.  Its a bit like a massive pileup on the turnpike, you can't help but look.

I would think Philly would be the worst for any sport...............

Kalen Braley

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2023, 02:38:49 PM »

Tim,

Thomas,

Rob,

My recollection of the last US Open is that patrons were well behaved, but my memory could be fuzzy there.

P.S.  I agree in principle otherwise.  There's a YouTube video of some Vikings fans walking thru the stadium parking lot to attend a game in Philly a few weeks back, but I really can't post that here.  I get hissing and cursing at the other team, but my Lord, the fans too?  ;)

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2023, 06:43:06 PM »
As an aside - at what point in the 1980s or 1990s did players and caddies begin shaking hands at the end of a round?
As someone who caddies maybe 10-12 professional tournaments a year, it still seems very odd to me.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2023, 08:00:03 PM »

Tim,

Thomas,

Rob,

My recollection of the last US Open is that patrons were well behaved, but my memory could be fuzzy there.

P.S.  I agree in principle otherwise.  There's a YouTube video of some Vikings fans walking thru the stadium parking lot to attend a game in Philly a few weeks back, but I really can't post that here.  I get hissing and cursing at the other team, but my Lord, the fans too?  ;)

I’m sure it was fine for the US Open since there was no home team. I think a Ryder Cup is where there would be an issue.

Mike Schott

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2023, 09:41:53 PM »
Geezo, 24 years on, and nothing changes when it comes to Team USA's behaviour  ::)
The Euros (and their fans) are hardly the saints they're made out to be by… themselves and their media, either.

Completely agree Erik. While it's easy for the home team to get caught in the moment on their turf with their fans, if they really wanted a friendlier match, they should all have taken the attitude shown by Jon Rahm in his post match interview on Sunday. I certainly don't dislike Rory but he does let his emotions usurp common courtesy more often than he should. LaCava was caught up in the moment at that moment alone.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back