News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

After TOC, which course to play in town...New, Eden or ?
« on: October 01, 2023, 04:58:14 PM »
I am visiting St. Andrews for the first time soon!

Of the four courses located nearest to TOC which are most fun to play. Which golf course features the most distinctive (worthy of study) holes?

Thank you!!

Is TOC always closed on Sunday?

Sean_A

Re: After TOC, which course to play in town...New, Eden or ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 05:05:05 PM »
The New Course

Yes, unless a tournament is on.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 05:35:39 PM »
Mark,
Check your PMs.
Cheers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 06:53:41 PM »
Good thread. This question was harder to answer than I expected for my own visit.

Then, it turned out a tournament kept the New, Jubilee, and Eden fully booked up while I was in town.

For what it's worth, my own conclusion was to prioritize New, Eden, Jubilee in that order. New seems to have the best reputation overall. Jubilee vs Eden sounds more like a question of preference, where Jubilee is a sterner test and Eden is fairly gentle on one's scorecard.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 06:59:24 PM »
The New Course (Old Tom) is the best round of golf I’ve ever had in my life. I liked it better than TOC. The one thing I would note. If my memory serves me, there is a good jump in time from the New Course to the Eden course (Colt).
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 06:03:23 AM »
Matt

Back in the day Tom MacWood would have had you believe that it was actually Hall Blyth who designed the New but whatever the truth of that (my money would be on Old Tom) the course has had some significant alterations along the way. If memory serves me correctly, the most significant changes were by Colt but Adam might be able to confirm.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 07:09:40 AM »
The best holes are on the Eden.  The worst are on the Eden.  On balance, New is better.  But the best of Eden is very good.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 09:39:09 AM »
Matt

Back in the day Tom MacWood would have had you believe that it was actually Hall Blyth who designed the New but whatever the truth of that (my money would be on Old Tom) the course has had some significant alterations along the way. If memory serves me correctly, the most significant changes were by Colt but Adam might be able to confirm.

Niall

Yes, Colt almost entirely rebuilt the New course in 1919/20. The golf correspondent of the St Andrews Citizen said "The New Course is being entirely revolutionised in character, and local golfers will scarcely recognise some of the holes when the work is completed.... the hand of Mr H. S. Colt is everywhere in evidence."

The course should be listed as a Morris/Hall Blyth/Colt design.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 10:19:09 AM »
Matt

Niall

Yes, Colt almost entirely rebuilt the New course in 1919/20. The golf correspondent of the St Andrews Citizen said "The New Course is being entirely revolutionised in character, and local golfers will scarcely recognise some of the holes when the work is completed.... the hand of Mr H. S. Colt is everywhere in evidence."

Adam - I would say it is more a Colt course as a lot of the Blyth (first time I have heard this) and Morris course were gone - based on a newspaper article that MM has provided to me a long while ago detailing all the changes made to the course with a few diagrams.

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2023, 10:47:32 AM »
Matt

Niall

Adam - I would say it is more a Colt course as a lot of the Blyth (first time I have heard this) and Morris course were gone - based on a newspaper article that MM has provided to me a long while ago detailing all the changes made to the course with a few diagrams.

The Hall Blyth case revolves round him having produced a plan of the course but he also did that for various iterations of the Gullane courses, North Berwick, Luffness New, Kilspindie, Muirfield etc without having designed the layouts. He was however on the Committee that oversaw and eventually tweaked the 1895 changes to NB so I suppose you could give him some slight credit there.

Niall   

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 10:49:07 AM »
The best holes are on the Eden.  The worst are on the Eden.  On balance, New is better.  But the best of Eden is very good.

Design attributions aside, this sums it up fairly succinctly.

Niall

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 10:53:41 AM »

Design attributions aside, this sums it up fairly succinctly.

Niall

Agree - I have played the Eden the most - it has great holes the crossover par 3s - 5 and 8 its a pity that it has been chopped and changed there is still an opportunity to make it better as today there are better course builders than in the 1990s when they did the new holes which felt out of synch with the rest of the course

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 03:12:56 PM »
Did they change it when the practice area was built? Jubilee was fun the one time I played it but can’t remember much. I think the New would be better thought of if it were not next to the Old.

mike_beene

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2023, 03:14:53 PM »
And please spend time around town and the ruins. Breathtaking!!!

Doug Bolls

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2023, 06:51:27 PM »
And a pint or two at the Dunvegan!

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2023, 02:09:39 AM »

Eden doesn't have any better holes than 9 New. I would also say 3&5 are among the best holes of the two courses.

Ciao

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2023, 05:21:25 AM »

Eden doesn't have any better holes than 9 New. I would also say 3&5 are among the best holes of the two courses.

Ciao
It has holes as good (5, 8 are every bit as good).  I didn't mean that New doesn't have some excellent golf (it does0 but that the best of Eden is better but the worst far, far worse.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 11:53:30 AM »
Head on down to Crail, easy to get too and a great course.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 02:13:50 PM »
Head on down to Crail, easy to get too and a great course.
I think both Eden and New are better courses and I'm biased in favour of Crail.

Brian Walshe

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2023, 03:28:27 AM »
As difficult as I find this to say, I agree with Mark.  New is better than Eden because as good as most of the greens complexes on the front 9 on Eden are the back 9 has a couple of crimes against golf. I'd play New or the front nine on Eden twice before I'd play Crail.  And just to mix things up, I'd play Elie before any of them.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2023, 04:11:19 AM »
As difficult as I find this to say, I agree with Mark.  New is better than Eden because as good as most of the greens complexes on the front 9 on Eden are the back 9 has a couple of crimes against golf. I'd play New or the front nine on Eden twice before I'd play Crail.  And just to mix things up, I'd play Elie before any of them.
It's as hard for me to say this but I have to fully agree with Brian.  Of the four courses mentioned in his post, Elie is the clear winner.  But then I'm even more biased regarding Elie than I am Crail.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2023, 08:14:07 AM »
I am not biased.

I have not played New, but among the other three, Elie is the choice if you have to pick one. We have played it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times even with several holes both times in some challenging weather.

From an architecture standpoint, Eden is stronger than Crail Balcomie because of the green complexes, but the setting at Crail would make it my second choice. And there are some really good holes too, particularly the stretch from 2 through 8.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2023, 08:45:46 AM »
Mark asked about the four courses closest to TOC 🤷. I assume he has his reasons. 😎

Ciao

Mark Pearce

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2023, 09:03:48 AM »
Mark asked about the four courses closest to TOC 🤷. I assume he has his reasons. 😎

Ciao
And I think we have answered.  I played at Elie last year with a guest who got the bus from St Andrews, so if travel is the issue, Elie's very doable without a car.  Crail far less so, because the club's a good couple of miles out of town.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2023, 12:36:52 PM »
The New by a landslide. Worth it just to play number nine.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back