News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bodo

TPC Sawgrass - Pete Dye's Best Course or Most Famous?
« on: March 06, 2023, 12:39:20 PM »
Seeing this is Players week and the unofficial 5th major of the year, it calls for a TPC Sawgrass thread. To that end I'll ask everyone if history will view TPC Sawgrass as Pete Dye's greatest work, his most famous or both? I've personally not played or walked TPC Sawgrass, so I can't comment on it being his best work. However, I can more easily see it being his most famous purely from the standpoint it hosts one of the most prestigous golf touraments of the professional men's calendar each year.

There are a number of Dye courses I would play before TPC Sawgrass. In particular, but not in any order, Kiawah (Ocean), Harbor Town, Crooked Stick and Whistling Straits. I walked Whistling Straits during the 2015 PGA Championship and absolutely loved it and thought it was amazing! I've played the Dye course at French Lick and loved it, even though it kicked my ass. Perhaps I'm off my keester, but Sawgrass comes across to me on TV as being somewhat tricked up and gimmicky. For those who have played it, love it and feel it's his best course please share why. Thanks!  ;)
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Paul Jones

Re: TPC Sawgrass - Pete Dye's Best Course or Most Famous?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 12:53:17 PM »
He came to speak to a group of us about 10 years ago when we were at Whistling Straits...  someone asked him which course he was most pride of?  Without hesitation, he said Casa de Campo and then went on to talk about what it did for the community. 
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 02:29:36 PM »
   A long time ago (40 years?) I ran into RTJ at Dorado Beach and asked him what was his favorite golf course. His answer: “my next one.”

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 03:08:39 PM »
Perhaps I'm off my keester, but Sawgrass comes across to me on TV as being somewhat tricked up and gimmicky. For those who have played it, love it and feel it's his best course please share why. Thanks!  ;)

Mike-I enjoy watching The Players Championship as it really seems to test the field. I attended a few years ago without ever having played the golf course. It was a fun day and the PGA Tour does a terrific job of running the tournament. That said the abundance of flanking water, forced  carries and hero shots quelled any desire to want to play. I’ve told people my perspective and more than half have said play first before you become entrenched in your position. Who has changed their mind when spectating initially and then subsequently getting a chance to play?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 03:34:12 PM by Tim Martin »

Drew Harvie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 05:58:41 PM »
I've yet to see Casa de Campo but Ocean Course is better than Sawgrass

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 06:10:17 PM »
I've yet to see Casa de Campo but Ocean Course is better than Sawgrass

+1

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 07:16:35 PM »
It is probably his best tournament course, with the Ocean course a close second.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 08:17:59 PM »
The TPC was changed - a lot - in those first few years after it opened, and at least some of those changes were more to appease the client than at Pete's own instigation.  I don't think he considered it his best work.  But it might have had the greatest impact.

Max Prokopy

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 08:30:37 PM »
Certainly his most famous work.  Although he did build another island green at PGA West, the Sawgrass finish has a momentum all its own. 

Regarding best, I sincerely doubt it but have only played a few Dye courses so don't feel qualified to offer an opinion.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 12:50:41 AM »
I enjoyed Blackwolf Run the most.
Tim Weiman

Michael Morandi

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 01:02:33 AM »
Few championship courses offer the risk/reward of the final 3 at TPC  Sawgrass.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 02:45:31 AM »
Excellent tournament watching but definitely not amateur friendly. I like watching the tournament but not playing there. Not his best work.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2023, 10:40:11 AM »
I wish the original configuration was still in place around 16 and 17.  That original gladiator look was almost primal, certainly intimidating.

Someone posted up some pics a couple years back, would be interesting to see those again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back