News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MLevesque

Public to private?
« on: January 21, 2022, 08:11:25 PM »
I just heard about Fox Hopyard, a [/color]Roger Rulewich design in East Haddam, CT, is transitioning from a high-end, daily fee public course to a private club this year.  What other courses have recently gone this route?   I would think more have moved from being private to allow for some limited or even full public play.[/size]
I am Skew!

Bill Seitz

Re: Public to private?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 10:36:01 PM »
Harvester in Iowa. Kemper Lakes. Depends on what you consider “recent”.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 10:51:30 PM »
Long Island National was public for years before going private. The former Fox Hill, now Baiting Hollow was private, went public for a few years and then went private again.
Be the ball

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 12:09:39 AM »
Valencia CC was public until around 1990 when a Japanese group purchased it and immediately sold memberships on the Japanese exchange. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 12:30:41 AM »
Valencia CC was public until around 1990 when a Japanese group purchased it and immediately sold memberships on the Japanese exchange.
Robert I forgot that this was a public course years ago. This is the course that in the late 90's hosted the LA event yes? Also wasn't the TPC Valencia open to the public at one point in time or days to play? I forget, but know they changed the name since.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Bill Seitz

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 01:29:01 AM »
Robert I forgot that this was a public course years ago. This is the course that in the late 90's hosted the LA event yes? Also wasn't the TPC Valencia open to the public at one point in time or days to play? I forget, but know they changed the name since.

Big V (as opposed to Little V - Vista Valencia) hosted the 1998 LA Open, not sure if it was Nissan or Northern Trust by that point, when Billy Mayfair beat Tiger in a playoff.  Riviera was hosting the US Senior Open that year, so they moved the PGA Tour event.  Which is weird, since Riviera hosted the 1995 PGA Championship, but also held the LA/Nissan Open that year.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 02:08:07 AM »

Big V (as opposed to Little V - Vista Valencia) hosted the 1998 LA Open, not sure if it was Nissan or Northern Trust by that point, when Billy Mayfair beat Tiger in a playoff.  Riviera was hosting the US Senior Open that year, so they moved the PGA Tour event.  Which is weird, since Riviera hosted the 1995 PGA Championship, but also held the LA/Nissan Open that year.
I have played Vista Valencia numerous times and 4 putted the first 2 greens of my last round there which is about all I recall, teased unmercifully since by my friends.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 02:51:52 AM »
I am pretty sure Atlantic City CC has gone private.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 06:41:16 AM »

It is not fully private. The public has tee time availability nearly every day.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 10:03:38 AM »
For those of you not old enough, or not from the South, there are some pretty terrible stories about conversions from public to private that were done to avoid desegregating courses.
One notable case is Pinetree in Kennesaw, GA, a superb course that hosts many state qualifiers and championships.  (I believe the orginal design was Chick Evans, and Bill Bergin did a magnificent renovation about 10 years ago.)
Pinetree was originally public, with a pool and tennis courts, as part of the Cobb County Parks and Recreation Department.  When the county was ordered to desegregate the pool, they sold the complex to a group of private citizens, all of whom happened to be white.  Pinetree remains private to this day; some of you might recall reading about the murder of an assistant pro there last year in a truly bizarre case.

A similar thing took place in Greensboro, NC, and I'm sure many other places across the South as well.  Here in Durham, there was a period of time when a then-important amateur tournament was moved away from Hillandale, the ancient municipal course that had been given to the city in a trust by, John Sprunt Hill, one of the early big money guys in Durham, along with the Dukes.  Mr. Hill's trust specified that the course would be used and enjoyed by the white citizens of Durham, and so the course wouldn't allow Blacks to participate in the tournament, which was sponsored by the local newspaper.  The tournament moved until the charter was changed by the trustees, but it took some time.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 11:25:12 AM »
I've always wondered what stops Pebble from going private...

Daryl David

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 11:28:49 AM »
I've always wondered what stops Pebble from going private...

Partner dividends. $$$

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 12:35:31 PM »

Steve, it is my understanding that they had an influx of members and, at least, are on their way to becoming fully private. Is that not true.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 04:33:50 PM »
   Didn’t Hartefeld in Avondale PA start public?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 05:04:45 PM »
Yes,it's private.  Davis Sezna was the developer of Hartefeld. The course opened in 1995 as a public facility. It's now managed by ClubCorp.

https://www.clubcorp.com/clubs/hartefeld-national/about-the-club

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:37:05 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim Tang

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 09:52:50 PM »
The Dormie Club.  I played it when it was public and wonder how it's changed since being folded into the Dormie Network.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 10:00:58 PM »
The Dormie Club.  I played it when it was public and wonder how it's changed since being folded into the Dormie Network.

Jim, there have been fifteen four bedroom cabins built along with a new clubhouse and free standing pro shop. Alas, there are no local members but is reserved for members and guests of other Dormie Clubs. It is an easier walk since some bridges have been built through the marshy waste areas and the conditioning of the course has never been better.
St. John of the Cross

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 10:28:35 PM »
 8)

Sand Barrens Swainton NJ    now Union League National

Greate Bay CC   Somers Point, NJ      2000
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 06:10:46 PM by archie_struthers »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 07:29:12 AM »

Steve, it is my understanding that they had an influx of members and, at least, are on their way to becoming fully private. Is that not true.

They have indeed attracted a considerable # of new members, and are limiting availability for in-season tee times, but I don't believe they are going fully private anytime soon.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

MCirba

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 07:36:35 AM »
Royce Brook in NJ took one of it's two Steve Smyers courses private. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 07:40:25 AM »
A.G. Crockett,

Pinetree in Kennesaw was designed by Chic Adams with some early revisions by Willard Byrd.   Played there about 20 years ago with my brother's father in law and thought it was very good even then.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 07:43:07 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Rick Sides

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 11:15:09 AM »
Pine Hill to Trump Philadelphia

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 11:39:42 AM »
A.G. Crockett,

Pinetree in Kennesaw was designed by Chic Adams with some early revisions by Willard Byrd.   Played there about 20 years ago with my brother's father in law and thought it was very good even then.

Thank you, Mike!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike Schott

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 06:08:03 PM »
Royce Brook in NJ took one of it's two Steve Smyers courses private.

Another public to private Smyers course is Lochenheath in northern Michigan. I believe it was originally to be private but economic realities delayed achieving membership goals and it remained public until recent years.

archie_struthers

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 06:11:57 PM »
 8)

Atlantic City CC is not going to allow public golf anymore as per management in the coming year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back