News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Live From Casa De Campo!
« on: January 21, 2022, 12:06:27 PM »
The Latin American Amateur being played at Casa De Campo is now on ESPNHD. I presume it will be on Saturday & Sunday as well.

https://laacgolf.com/ 

Kalen Braley

Re: Live From Casa De Campo!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 12:36:02 PM »
Thanks for the tip, course looks great.  Its on ESPN 2 right now.   Winner gets a spot in the Masters

Here is the weekend coverage info:

Saturday 11 Am to 1 PM EST - ESPNews
Sunday 11 AM to 1 PM EST - ESPN2

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 04:34:07 PM »
   Teeth in best shape ever. Fun to watch these guys. I believe the toughest hole in relation to par is again #4  - 180 to green surrounded by sand. They’ve flipped the 9’s to finish with a par 5.

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 08:21:02 PM »
Is the old runway gone?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 11:22:46 AM »
   Teeth in best shape ever. Fun to watch these guys. I believe the toughest hole in relation to par is again #4  - 180 to green surrounded by sand. They’ve flipped the 9’s to finish with a par 5.

Jim,

Interesting you mention this, it seemed to looked great. But if I heard right on the telecast, they said the course will soon be back under the knife for a bunker update/rejuvenation and the entire course re-grassed.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 02:36:51 PM »
  That’s the rumor here.  I don’t see the need myself. But I’m skeptical of a lot of restoration/renovation work, so I’m not the best person to ask.
   As for the old runway, it’s probably been 20 years. They built an airport outside CdC and sold lots where the old runway was. Now big, fancy homes with ocean views there now.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 07:17:13 PM »
I would sure hope they got all the aviation maps changed before I would live on the old runway.
It was actually interesting to watch the big jets land and take off. Seems like a bell rang when a plane was landing.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 08:22:29 PM »
   A bell rang and an automatic arm blocked passage from 11 to 12 and from tee to fairway on 18. It was very cool. If you can find the match between Couples and Floyd on Shell’s Wonderful World if Golf, you’ll see a plane land. You’ll also see my wife and me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 08:24:01 PM by Jim_Coleman »

Phil Burr

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 09:24:39 PM »
My 1997 trip to CDC was the most fun I've ever had playing golf.  I met my father and brother for our annual trip.  I arrived in a somber mood and sleep deprived as I had been up all night preceding my departure from Phoenix following the news coverage of Princess Diana's fatal accident.  Teeth of the Dog is a course everyone should play in their lives.  It's easily top 5 in my personal best.  Dye Fore did not yet exist, so we played the Links course once for the sake of completeness and played 8 rounds at Teeth over little more than 72 hours on property.  36 holes on arrival day, 36 the next day, 54 the day after that and a final 18 on departure day.  It was late August/early September so the resort was deserted.  18 holes rarely took more than 2 hours and our package included unlimited golf.

Tee shots on 12 & 18 were played across the runway, and a hook off #9 tee (#18 as the course was played today) could easily land on the runway and roll for a mile.  The only way to get closer to a 727 was if you worked for an airline or on a jetway.  It was an awesome and utterly unique feature in a world-class golf course.  I understand they left pavement to be carried on #12 & 18 - can anyone confirm if that is true?

It's all too rare that one gets to play a course of this caliber enough that you feel like you really know it.  How many of us have played a great course once or maybe twice, but are so overwhelmed by the venue, surroundings, aura, history, etc. that it's all too much to take in?

For what it's worth, it wasn't, at least in 1997, a place I would have taken my wife for a romantic getaway.  Accommodations were not oceanfront or oceanview; beach was man-made with an ugly artificial breakwater; there was no restaurant on the water where you could dip your toes in the sand, etc.  CDC is (or at least was) an amazing sporting retreat, but not a honeymoon spot.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 10:16:06 PM »
Phil:  To answer your question, a small piece of the runway was left short of the 18th fairway, with a big “18” painted on it.  There is no runway left on 12.
  Fun fact: the old airport was located to the right of the 12th tee.  The “serpentine Shelley” scene from the original “The In-Laws” with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin was filmed there.

JMEvensky

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 06:05:34 AM »

Phil:  To answer your question, a small piece of the runway was left short of the 18th fairway, with a big “18” painted on it.  There is no runway left on 12.
  Fun fact: the old airport was located to the right of the 12th tee.  The “serpentine Shelley” scene from the original “The In-Laws” with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin was filmed there.

Thanks for that bit of movie trivia--and a reason to watch a funny movie again.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 10:04:47 AM »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt Kardash

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 11:31:43 AM »
Just watching some of that 3rd round coverage. Watching them try to negotiate the 12th green (3rd in reality) is astonishing. That volcano green is quite something. I saw one kid go for the green in two and ended up with a 9!
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Randy Thompson

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 06:30:10 PM »
Good event and gets better every year! Great golf course. Best course built in the 60´s imo!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 12:47:19 PM »
I'm looking at Google Maps, and two words come to mind.  IN-SANE.

How in the hell did a golf course ever get approved to wrap around an airport that was servicing large planes like 727s, and be in such super close proximity?  Mind blown... ;D

P.S.  I'm guessing the original range used to be on the other side of #1

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 09:35:08 PM »
Kalen: The original range was the area to the left of the path to first tee of the Teeth and on the way to the first tee of the Links. It’s now being developed as a spa and additional hotel rooms.

mike_beene

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 11:10:28 PM »
Do we have a pilot on here? Would love some expert analysis on this runway feature. I was stunned when I first landed there and saw golf in progress before we had hit the pavement.
I found my caddy over bearing and never went again.sometimes you need a little downtime on vacation

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back