News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

Re: The 2021 Annual GCA Festivus Airing of Grievances
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2021, 12:36:34 AM »
Since I know that every poster on this board does not walk 18 holes in 2.5 hours, I don't believe anyone when they claim that they do.

My current condition
I’m not sure I could walk 18 in 2.5 if I wasn’t playing!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2021, 06:44:43 AM »

I’m just happy to be back. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2021, 08:13:57 AM »
It makes me crazy when people comment on courses they have NOT played. Their uninformed opinion is just a waste of space. They usually begin, "I have not played the course but...."

Tommy-That would be my grievance as well. I would add that a treatise riffing off of someone else’s ideas or an unrelated topic because that person hasn’t sampled the subject architect or course is anything but a talent yet it happens far too frequently.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2021, 09:01:20 AM »
When participants in a discussion group conflate that concept with membership.  ;D
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Eric Smith

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »
Why can't my friend better understand depth perception when looking at a damn photograph??

photo credit:@linksgems

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »
I don't like the number of posts that include personal attacks on others.

Folks can disagree over nearly anything. That doesn't mean that the response has to become ad hominem.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2021, 11:38:23 AM »
I'm filing a grievance over both the recent CNN article someone cited here, and the upcoming barrage of ensuing garbage, relating to golf courses and climate change.  As we build more skyscrapers taller, continue to concrete-up the landscape (sorry JK) and erect more leaky off shore oil platforms, methinks golf courses are actually one of the few green sanctuaries people can find refuge from the Walking Dead. 

90% of the so called media today are worthless hacks.  Objective truth is dying and it's very disturbing.     
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jim Hoak

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2021, 11:57:19 AM »
I think that posts with pictures are infinitely better than just words.  But my pet grievance is the difficulty of posting pictures on this site.  Can't that process be made simpler?
Also--not important, but I've let it percolate for a day--BHoover, how is "of" ever used as a verb?  Example?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2021, 11:59:29 AM »
I'm filing a grievance over both the recent CNN article someone cited here, and the upcoming barrage of ensuing garbage, relating to golf courses and climate change.  As we build more skyscrapers taller, continue to concrete-up the landscape (sorry JK) and erect more leaky off shore oil platforms, methinks golf courses are actually one of the few green sanctuaries people can find refuge from the Walking Dead. 

90% of the so called media today are worthless hacks.  Objective truth is dying and it's very disturbing.   

If you look back, the article had a byline, originally, but the second day it was up it was changed to "CNN staff."  That's because the author, dismayed at how they took his article and turned it into a one sided hack job, requested his name be taken off the article.  For those who don't trust media, a bit of fuel for the fire......

Sorry, for disobeying the OP to NOT respond to other grievances.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »
I think this site needs a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" icon on each post.  A lot of posts cause a reaction, just not one big enough for me to type something out.  I'm sure every poster would like feedback on their posts, even if it's sort of the lazy kind that such a button would allow.

See Peter's comment, above.  If the post is not worth your time to comment on, who cares whether you liked it or not?  Are we running a popularity contest or a discussion group?

Again, apologies for not obeying the OP instructions not to comment on other grievances, but then again, TD's post doesn't respect that either, nor does it seem like a grievance......

I generally try to be precise with my words, and you will note I did NOT ask for a "like" button, and my request had nothing to do with liking something. I am not sure where Jim Coleman came up with the thumbs up, but I guess I can use the pre-existing emojis, like :)>:(::) , or when I make a mistake,  :-[  or  :-\ .

TD, see other posts in this thread regarding too lengthy posts.  I am in that camp, always remembering my father's admonitions that a good idea is usually easy to express in a few sentences.  A bad one takes a lot longer.  I maintain that if I can show my agreement or disagreement with one emoji vs. several sentences, everyone is better off, especially with the number of posts (including mine) that seem to come during normal working hours. 

Even in writing responses, brevity is usually a benefit (although I do run on a bit if I feel I need to in some posts).  If Dan Kelly still posts here, he should dig out his classic posts on writing brevity and repost them here, coming straight from a journalist.  It would be a Christmas gift for all of us, LOL.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 12:11:49 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2021, 12:30:13 PM »
I think that posts with pictures are infinitely better than just words.  But my pet grievance is the difficulty of posting pictures on this site.  Can't that process be made simpler?
Also--not important, but I've let it percolate for a day--BHoover, how is "of" ever used as a verb?  Example?

I can help here. "Brian should of given an example."
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2021, 08:26:57 PM »
I think this site needs a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" icon on each post.  A lot of posts cause a reaction, just not one big enough for me to type something out.  I'm sure every poster would like feedback on their posts, even if it's sort of the lazy kind that such a button would allow.

See Peter's comment, above.  If the post is not worth your time to comment on, who cares whether you liked it or not?  Are we running a popularity contest or a discussion group?

Again, apologies for not obeying the OP instructions not to comment on other grievances, but then again, TD's post doesn't respect that either, nor does it seem like a grievance......

I generally try to be precise with my words, and you will note I did NOT ask for a "like" button, and my request had nothing to do with liking something. I am not sure where Jim Coleman came up with the thumbs up, but I guess I can use the pre-existing emojis, like :)>:(::) , or when I make a mistake,  :-[  or  :-\ .

TD, see other posts in this thread regarding too lengthy posts.  I am in that camp, always remembering my father's admonitions that a good idea is usually easy to express in a few sentences.  A bad one takes a lot longer.  I maintain that if I can show my agreement or disagreement with one emoji vs. several sentences, everyone is better off, especially with the number of posts (including mine) that seem to come during normal working hours. 

Even in writing responses, brevity is usually a benefit (although I do run on a bit if I feel I need to in some posts).  If Dan Kelly still posts here, he should dig out his classic posts on writing brevity and repost them here, coming straight from a journalist.  It would be a Christmas gift for all of us, LOL.

I like button is nice feedback.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2021, 07:55:51 AM »
Gentlemen,
My grievance is that after 43,319 words of wisdom I ceased archiving Peter Pallotta's scribblings! I didn't want to stop but realised that it was likely to become my "Never Ending Story" courtesy of G.C.A.! And so it was!! I was going to compile his thoughts, allusions and bon mots into a splendid chronicle but material kept materialising! Nonetheless I am still drawn in and enjoy mightily his efforts. I managed to come up with a film reference but I wish I knew enough to have conveyed a jazz one! Thanks Pierre!
Orra best Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Jason Topp

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2021, 10:35:52 AM »
My grievance is that I feel we drown out dissenting voices.  I want to hear different perspectives.  I think a discussion should serve to enlighten rather than convince.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to the group.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
While not always agreeing with a particular take on an opinion voiced in a thread, I do enjoy reading the very varied views of folks like Gib, JK, John VDB, Slapper, TD,  Jeff Brauer, FBD, Adrian, etc. 

Not everyone see the world through my eyes either.   

Encouraging other views permits someone else to look at a position is a different light - they may or may not change their opinion, but reading and giving thought to looking at something differently creates great discussion and discourse.

BK

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2021, 03:37:19 PM »
When quoting a reply do some editing.  As an example. no need to see the same picture twice.

Jason Topp

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2021, 03:40:41 PM »
When are the feats of strength and who must wrestle?

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2021, 09:29:49 PM »
Darn - Jim Hoak took mine. I challenge him to Feats of Strength.

Seriously though, I’ve gravitated more to social media platforms because I like pictures. But most of those posts are just “hey everybody- look at what top 100 course I just played” or “cant decide which Scotty Cameron or PXG club I should buy with my enviable amount of discretionary income.” Love the intelligent banter of GCA along with  great photos

SL_Solow

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2021, 11:28:33 AM »
The few that I have about the site have been covered.  Mine is ongoing and has been for many years.  I am frustrated by individuals who join Greens' Committees, who have no knowledge about architecture or agronomy, who refuse to do anything to educate themselves, and who insist on attempting to impose their personal prejudices on their clubs.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2021, 06:24:31 PM »
The early days of GCA could be pretty raucous when it was easy to sign-up and post under pseudonyms. I completely understand the change but it was fun reading the exploits of Hammy Hearst and Tuco Rameriz among others.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 10:27:30 PM by Bill Gayne »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2021, 02:13:43 PM »
Oops, I can only post about one grudge
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 11:23:42 PM by Pete_Pittock »

William_G

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2021, 10:36:33 PM »
my grievance is with all "golfers" who otherwise claim to be victims because they can't walk and carry
these victims don't stop with that as they are beholden to their victimhood, letting it fester into raging online anger
shame me because I'm old and still walk and carry, so weird
staying healthy in mind and body? what a concept
these folks selfishly change the narrative of everything to fit their "victimization"
what do I really think? LOL

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/unraveling-the-mindset-of-victimhood/

a good read
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 08:54:52 AM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2021, 12:16:46 AM »
John Kavanaugh’s posts. Maybe I’m missing something. I’ve never seen anyone complain about them, or about him. But to me they’re basically spam. Am I wrong?

Tim Gallant

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2021, 11:52:07 AM »
My grievance is that we have some of the most talented shapers and architects in the business on this site, and none (or very few) of them are willing to stick their neck out and criticise M&Es work publicly, even though behind closed doors they are willing to rip it to shreds.

I guess they have skin in the game, and to do so might make them look petty, but at the moment, there is some seriously unnecessary and dare I say, poor work happening at some (most?) of the UK's best courses and no one of worth is saying anything for fear of upsetting the wrong person.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2021, 03:03:38 PM »

Ebnglish lessons.

9n the past couple-le month the use of ICONIC , SIGNATURE and FUN has been attacked by the Thesaurus police when describing qca .

40 year old virgin stuff. This is a forum for GCa but it turns into Shakespeare and interpretations of “what is, is”. And I’m not speaking Spanish or behasa. Just plain English like the guy at bubba’s fat pig with the dirty apron. He knows what fun means but some gentleman golfers obviously don’t know English  like the good folks at Golf Digest.

Pffff….

Conjunction junction what’s  your function. And, but and or will get you very far. My god when I use and adjective to describe gca I feel like a bill sitting on capital hill.

One of my best marriages was when I was married to a wife that could not speak English. Fantastic. A Fun 10. After she learned English it was the worst. But even she knew what fun meant. We went to Bandon and she got it. Fun. Pebble Beach she got it. Fun. My god fun is international unless you are a golfer. Then the use of fun to describe gold is sacreligios. Or something like that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back