News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Chadwick

Love at First Sight
« on: November 09, 2021, 11:36:51 PM »
What is a golf course you love but haven’t yet played? A course you’ve seen images of that appears to speak exactly to what you like most out of a design? A course you’ve fallen in love with at first sight?

To encourage variety for our discussion, I ask you to look beyond top-20 ranked courses you haven’t yet seen. I’m more interested in selections that are reflective of your own personal style, kindred to your golfing soul, not everyone’s shared white whales.

I’ll offer three of my own:
1. Essex County (MA) - Like MacKenzie at Pasatiempo, there is something to be said when an architect chooses to live on property. There appears to be a healthy serving of eccentricity at the Clvb. From the blind tee on 8, to the ridge on the right that tumbles toward the center like a peeling wave, all mown at fairway height (!); the visual stack of 10 green and 11 looming behind it; 12’s blind tee; 15’s fairway angled like a cape, with its massive bunker fronting the green; and is there a quirkier finish than 17 and 18 in American golf?

2. Myopia - For its history as an early US Open venue, and the challenging heritage its layout maintains; the obscene 9th, a green that is incomparable today but for maybe one found at Scottsdale National’s Bad Little Nine; The amount of fairways bisected by stream, sand or native hazards, even road (2, 4, 5, 6, 11, 13); the museum quality of its clubhouse and—since I’m an English guy—one day experiencing a round where John Updike was a member. Taken with Essex, I wonder if there is a 36 hole day stateside that is as analogous to the charms of UK golf.

3. Shoreacres - The density of Raynor’s superb routing; his array of template holes, but with the ingenious decision to extend fairways all the way to the fall lines of the ravines; the way the ground tumbles steeply at the landform’s edges with an almost sculptural quality, as if chiseled away by hand (2, 4, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16); the firm and fast conditions that purportedly rival that of any club; the clubhouse perched on its bluff overlooking Lake Michigan.       

I’d also like to hear the B-side to the above question—for those of you who’ve experienced a round at a place you’d long dreamt, how’d it turn out? Did you encounter more or less than what met your initial eye? Did it surpass the high expectations you’d set for it? Or did reality pale to the fantasy?

One that comes to mind for me was Cal Club. I recall watching Thomas Bastis’ hole by hole flyover on YouTube as if on a loop, listening to Andy Johnson’s Fried Egg podcast with Allan Jamieson and David Normoyle on the club, and surveying its terrain on Google Earth.

The course proved to be an exemplary members course, with no weak holes, and a couple wonderfully imaginative ones (5, 7, 8, 9, 16). Its turf conditions are the best I’ve encountered. When it comes to architecture alone, though, I would side with Pasatiempo as being superior. Don’t get me wrong, Pasatiempo has a few holes much weaker than any at Cal, but at the same time it also hosts a collection of world class holes, whereas Cal strides through an uninterrupted flow of good and very good holes.   

My overall experience at Cal, however, left some to be desired. The round was early on a Monday morning. Although we had caddies, it felt as if I’d arrived before any staff, and found myself wandering around the clubhouse until I stumbled into the north locker room where eventually I met my host. For much of the morning I honestly wondered if the club was closed and that we were out there anyway, but ultimately that wasn’t the case. Yet unfortunately from the pro shop, to the bar and locker room, it was one of the less accommodating atmospheres I’ve had as a guest.

The silver lining is that one’s experience is always circumstantial, and can be easily remedied. What matters ultimately is the quality of the course, and no doubt Cal Club hosts one of the finest and most enjoyable layouts in the West.
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Garland Bayley

Re: Love at First Sight
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 12:03:35 AM »
My first views of Royal St. Georges were when Ben Curtis won there. It looked spectacular and inviting to my golf preferences. I can assure you that I was very happy to see it again this past summer.

Paraparaumu is another one that enthralled me when I watched a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf broadcast that took place there.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Kiely

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 12:22:25 AM »
Pretty sure I've mentioned this on here before, but as a kid I remember being at my grandparents' house in Mesa, AZ, thumbing through one of my grandpa's golf magazines. I saw an ad for Forest Highlands in Flagstaff, which was relatively new at the time (late '80s), and fell in love immediately. I'd been to Flagstaff once as a younger kid but haven't been near it since. Would drive there in a heartbeat from SoCal for an invite.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Phil Burr

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 12:44:40 AM »
I’m offering half an answer because my course is one I’ve played half of.  I’m talking about Davenport CC, which I joined in September but where I’ve only played the front nine as I’ve been busy packing, moving and everything entailed with relocating from Arizona to Illinois.  I’ve yet to play the back nine, but the front nine is a joy.  I can’t wait to play the back, which resembles Bel Air in that it starts with a long, uphill par three across a deep ravine which is spanned by a dramatic bridge which forms the backdrop to the approach shot on the par 4 18th hole.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 01:02:21 AM »
Michael, these are all in fact highly ranked, but:

Ballyneal, which I'm convinced one day will be regarded as the finest course in the country, when raters have the eyes to see and the good sense to actually feel

Notts, which I long to be good enough to play everyday -- and which, at that I point, I would play every day, as no low handicapper should ever need anything more to be reasonably happy

Garden City, which says 'golf' in such an elemental and stripped down way that it says golf better than any course I know

Fishers Island, which is the most beautiful golf course and the most beautiful setting for a golf I've ever seen

and

Walton Heath, because I pray to one day be as good and wise and kind as James Braid looked in his later years (and to dress like him too), on an English heathland course a stone's throw from London -- for me the very definition of 'if I had that you could keep everything else'!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 01:39:51 AM »
Cape Wickham.  Because I stan Mike DeVries, and I see things in pictures of Cape Wickham that make me think of Kingsley and Greywalls, and if you could give me the type of golf I get at those places in that setting, I can't imagine not loving the course on first play. 

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 04:56:38 AM »
Although, highly rated, previously mentioned Essex, Myopia and Ballyneal are all courses which visually appeal to me.

A few less heralded courses which immediately had me taking second looks include Royal Copenhagen, Isle of Harris and Cardigan. I keep saying I must get to Cardigan, but I feel the Welsh Wizard needs to be present  8)

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 05:47:27 AM »
Cardigan! Yip, especially if combined with St David’s City, the original Braid-9 at Newport Links (Pembs) and Borth & Ynlas would be a fine wee adventure.
Atb

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 07:24:37 AM »
For me it has to be Silloth. Darwin wrote of Silloth "I fell so much in love with it at first sight, that I can hardly imagine another visit being so rapturous." Unlike Darwin I did play it again and became a member of the club for a number of years and if anything I came to appreciate it even more.

Niall
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 07:42:23 AM by Niall C »

Tim Gallant

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 07:31:13 AM »
As Clyde Johnson will tell you, I'm easily falling in love with courses I've never played. A few that I've been looking (lusting?) at recently that I've not played:

Hindhead
The Addington
Ipswich
Hayling

I hope to see a majority of those this winter / early next year :)

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »
I’m offering half an answer because my course is one I’ve played half of.  I’m talking about Davenport CC, which I joined in September but where I’ve only played the front nine as I’ve been busy packing, moving and everything entailed with relocating from Arizona to Illinois.  I’ve yet to play the back nine, but the front nine is a joy.  I can’t wait to play the back, which resembles Bel Air in that it starts with a long, uphill par three across a deep ravine which is spanned by a dramatic bridge which forms the backdrop to the approach shot on the par 4 18th hole.

You're a lucky man, Phil. Davenport is magnificent. Of the courses of his I've seen, it vies with Royal Hague in the Netherlands as Hugh Alison's best work (haven't been to Japan).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 08:15:49 AM »
There really are only a few courses that I am dying to play. Most are ranked highly in the top 100 lists. One that I have always meant to play but never could work out is Swinley Forest. I have played about 80 courses in England but never Swinley. It looks like a place that is playable, intimate, and a perfect illustration of heathland golf.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 08:20:39 AM »

Ballyneal, which I'm convinced one day will be regarded as the finest course in the country, when raters have the eyes to see and the good sense to actually feel.

+1

Consider me smitten.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 08:24:32 AM »

Ballyneal, which I'm convinced one day will be regarded as the finest course in the country, when raters have the eyes to see and the good sense to actually feel.

+1

Consider me smitten.

Aren’t you concerned about the legitimacy of your opinion having never played Pebble?

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 08:45:26 AM »
John K.,

No, and truth be told I still believe Pine Valley is the greatest course in the country.

I base that on having played or seen all of the other contenders for that honor, with the exception of Chicago and Seminole.

But Ballyneal is now my favorite modern course and it seems to grow in estimation every time I think about it. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 08:50:32 AM by MCirba »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »
For me, the slam dunks to come someday are Sankaty, Bald Peak, and Garden City.

And about 500 courses in the UK!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »
The three that first came to mind:
Garden City (Travis greens)
Iona (raw and unrefined with great views)
Addington (especially after C,D,P are finished)

Three that I was really looking forward to playing and enjoyed even more than i hoped:
Brancaster (does it get more charming?)
Bamburgh Castle (some good golf - not just views)
Cruit Island (if you've been there, you know)

Michael,
My experience at Cal Club couldn't have been more different from yours. I stayed in the clubhouse overnight, and some members in the grill (that I had never met) offered to share their pizza with me. Everyone I encountered (staff and members) was welcoming.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 10:14:15 AM »
Michael,

I'm confused. You seem to be a bright guy.

Apparently, your description of your Cal Club experience "that left something(sic) to be desired" was generated by playing there on a Monday....a day that nearly every private club in the US would tell you is their quietest day (save for an outing). You highlight not finding anyone ready to greet you...from the clubhouse, bar and pro shop, yet you sound like you expected something different on a Monday.

Sounds to me like you got there too early (instead of with your host), expected too much (the proverbial red carpet), and sought to be engagement with the staff, etc... That's both rather unrealistic and borderline silly to even put into print.

I've been to the Cal Club several times and have always found it to be one of the warmest, most-inviting and friendly places to be found anywhere. I've also been to many prestigious places on Monday (even some even with closed non-golf facilities that day) and yet would never think to let a lack of greeting staff  influence my judgement or taint my opinion. I genuinely feel sorry for the member who hosted you.

GCA.com is a site read by far more than those who openly opine here and printing something like this broadcasts a poorly-reasoned and undeserved opinion out to the universe, even possibly casting an unwarranted dispersion on others here. I suggest you understand this better before making your next post.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 12:43:32 PM »
Michael,

I'm confused. You seem to be a bright guy.

Apparently, your description of your Cal Club experience "that left something(sic) to be desired" was generated by playing there on a Monday....a day that nearly every private club in the US would tell you is their quietest day (save for an outing). You highlight not finding anyone ready to greet you...from the clubhouse, bar and pro shop, yet you sound like you expected something different on a Monday.

Sounds to me like you got there too early (instead of with your host), expected too much (the proverbial red carpet), and sought to be engagement with the staff, etc... That's both rather unrealistic and borderline silly to even put into print.

I've been to the Cal Club several times and have always found it to be one of the warmest, most-inviting and friendly places to be found anywhere. I've also been to many prestigious places on Monday (even some even with closed non-golf facilities that day) and yet would never think to let a lack of greeting staff  influence my judgement or taint my opinion. I genuinely feel sorry for the member who hosted you.

GCA.com is a site read by far more than those who openly opine here and printing something like this broadcasts a poorly-reasoned and undeserved opinion out to the universe, even possibly casting an unwarranted dispersion on others here. I suggest you understand this better before making your next post.

Steve, thank you for this. Your point about my round occurring on a Monday is fair, although I wouldn't fully chalk it up on account of the day alone. No red carpet was expected. I know my place as a younger appreciator of architecture without even a home club to reciprocate a host's generosity.

I looked back at my wording and still think what I wrote was benign. I referred to the course as exemplary and without a single weak hole. The comment I made about its accommodating atmosphere I qualified as being circumstantial. Perhaps I could've been more explicit that I myself consider it more of a fluke or outlier, that I have no doubt I'm in the minority with that comment. Mr. Mayhugh, you, and untold others have had all around exceptional experiences there.

But outliers are possible, for a number of reasons in and out of our control, and people should be able to share those. I would never mistake my own single opinion as being a representative judgement of an entire club. I don't think I made one in my post, and I don't think readers here would either.     

You are more than welcome to publicly question my intelligence on this forum. I don't mind that in the least. I will, however, defend my--and anyone else's--right to offer any opinion couched by experience and consideration that differs from majority consensus, especially if done courteously. Taking pity on my host seems excessive to what I wrote. That kind of tone, and your editorial warning for my future posts, actively discourages people from being respectfully honest, and might be contributive to why there only seems to be 20-30 individuals actively posting on GCA these days. The unnecessary siloing of voices I've noticed as a visitor to this site was a motivating reason for me to join. So let's continue mixing it up.     
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 01:09:30 PM »
What is a golf course you love but haven’t yet played? A course you’ve seen images of that appears to speak exactly to what you like most out of a design? A course you’ve fallen in love with at first sight?

For some reason Royal Birkdale looks fantastic and is a course I would like to see.

I also haven't been to Tasmania to see those courses.  The vibe and hospitality is something I really look forward to.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 02:06:36 PM »
St. George's on Long Island.  Looks like my kind of place!

MCirba

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 02:27:08 PM »
Ireland.

The biggest gaping hole in my golf resume and I hope to correct that in the next year or two.

MKrohn

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 04:57:35 PM »
Think I would like a trip to Royal Aberdeen and Cruden Bay.

Not to pile on regarding Cal Club but it remains one of my favourite golfing experiences, course aside (which I love) we couldn't have been more warmly welcomed. For three Aussies coming down the last couple of holes and seeing our flag flying alongside the US flag was the type of special touch that certainly doesn't happen everywhere.

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 05:33:20 PM »
St. Andrews Old-I watched all the Open’s and looked at a ton of pictures and videos. There is nowhere I would rather play.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 05:51:19 PM »
Several years ago I was at my friend Jim Finegan's post-funeral luncheon at Philadelphia CC. I was chatting with a friend and noticed his big book ("Where Golf is Great") on the table next to me. I told myself I'd open it to a random page and plan a visit to whatever course I landed on. It would be like a recommendation from Jim. By chance, the book gave me Prestwick. I'm reasonably well traveled across the pond, but I've never been there and I've always loved looking at photos of the legendary holes/features there--Sea Headrig, the Alps, etc.

I'm disappointed to say that I've yet to make that trip, but it's been at the top of my list ever since. I hope to get there soon.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back