News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Maintenance equipment
« on: November 05, 2021, 06:32:23 AM »
A question if I may for those who look after our courses.
What are currently your 3 most important pieces of course maintenance equipment?
The pieces that you consider are vital to your maintenance activities including equipment that does work that could be done manually but does it quicker, better, cheaper, safer etc.
And a supplementary question … what were yoir 3 most important pieces of equipment 20 yrs ago?
Atb

Jaeger Kovich

Re: Maintenance equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 07:47:41 AM »
I’m not a super but I’d say:
1 cup cutter
2 green mower
3 tractor cause you can do pretty much everything else w a good tractor if you need too and now we can play golf.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 07:49:56 AM »
1. Aerifer

2. Aerifer

3. Aerifier
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John Emerson

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 12:32:34 PM »
1. Aerifer

2. Aerifer

3. Aerifier

What Tony said!

“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 12:51:27 PM »
I would defer to the head men above (I'm just a lowly assistant), but in Colorado:

1) Sprayer

2) Greens mower

3) Topdresser (big and little)

Sprayer wins out because snow mold can literally wipe us out in the winter/early spring, and our growing season is too short to recover anything in time for the high season.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 08:50:52 AM »
1- staff
2- staff
3- staff

In all seriousness though, whats most important would depend on the course. For the very basics Jaegers answer will get you playing.

Assuming the basics are covered (ie a range of mowers for different areas) then

Sprayer

Aerator

Topdresser/material handler

I'd say this hasn't changed much from 20 years ago

I think in the future the #1 answer will be the robot mower

Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 08:52:21 AM »
There’s no golf without a hole.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Bruce Hospes

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 11:24:37 AM »
Topdresser

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 11:36:14 AM »

Yeah there is. Id venture a guess many of us have played golf to a stick in the ground or putting on a putting green with the following;

Cupless Jr. Flagstick | Par Aide
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 02:22:16 PM »

Yeah there is. Id venture a guess many of us have played golf to a stick in the ground or putting on a putting green with the following;

Cupless Jr. Flagstick is def not top 3 maintenance equipment. One of the most basic rules of golf is holing out and I think the only one that needs a piece of equipment, so cup cutter still #1.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 03:26:01 PM »

Certainly didn't say that it was. My replay is up above, earlier. Kyle commented that there is no golf without a whole.

Cupless Jr. Flagstick is def not top 3 maintenance equipment. One of the most basic rules of golf is holing out and I think the only one that needs a piece of equipment, so cup cutter still #1.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 05:48:23 AM »

Certainly didn't say that it was. My replay is up above, earlier. Kyle commented that there is no golf without a whole.

Convince the membership at Mountain Lake to move in that direction and I'll concede your point. I look forward to how well that handicap travels.

Not holding my breath, either.

A wise person once told me that all maintenance practices on a golf course are done to ensure that you can mow grass in the future. Prioritizing maintenance equipment with that in mind implies that whatever sort of mowing equipment you are using would be second to the equipment that sets up the golf course.

Aerifier? Certainly useful but there's no use for it if you're not preparing a surface for golf daily. It's entire exigency is based on playing golf. Playing golf is the priority.

Is anyone getting a steady dose of rain at convenient times in convenient amounts? Even the golden age guys knew that some form of irrigation infrastructure was required... application and usage is the art but you do *need* some way of watering at some point.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back