News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Tee it up everywhere?
« on: October 26, 2021, 08:56:04 AM »
I recently played with someone even older than I am. This person, X, was in the 80's. X also had some back problems and was going to give up the game because X just couldn't get the ball airborne any more. One day I suggested that it might help if X would hit driver for the second shot with the ball teed up. "That's not golf!" X replied. But X tried it and lo and behold X could reach some of the shorter par fours in two. A drive will go about 140 yards. X will even tee it up with some irons. Now X has fallen in love with the game again. X does play from the forward tees.

What think ye? I am tickled for X.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

Re: Tee it up everywhere?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 09:04:28 AM »
Tommy:

Whatever gets them outdoors!

I know several people who got their wives to play by letting her tee it up anywhere she wanted.  As long as it doesn't take them two extra minutes to do so, play on.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »
I recently played with someone even older than I am. This person, X, was in the 80's. X also had some back problems and was going to give up the game because X just couldn't get the ball airborne any more. One day I suggested that it might help if X would hit driver for the second shot with the ball teed up. "That's not golf!" X replied. But X tried it and lo and behold X could reach some of the shorter par fours in two. A drive will go about 140 yards. X will even tee it up with some irons. Now X has fallen in love with the game again. X does play from the forward tees.

What think ye? I am tickled for X.

Agree.
Given modern fairway heights, a reasonable solution.
The argument is often made that the lower height allows for more roll, but I can't tell you(from daily playing lesson experience) how many hate hitting "rollers" even though they go the same distance due to the sheer speed of the fairways.
They often will hit a second ball solidly and airborne, and it will go the same distance, but they get far more satisfaction from the higher, more aesthetically pleasing shot.When I point out the fact that they went the same distance, they remark that they HATE bowling the ball.
People play golf for different reasons and fairways with a little more height(to alow better contact),yet firmer as opposed to tight and faster(yet often soft), would go a long way to restoring the fun for many, many players.To say nothing of putting the fun back into the game around the green where chipping and pitching chips have become commonplace.

I used to think this was high end, high maintenance .001% problem, but nearly every club I travel to for MET events(OK still a 1% problem ;D ) has lowered fway height and lowered approach height even more. or is rolling the grass ultra tight, a whole nother set of difficulties where clean, reasonably predicatble contact is concerned.

Modern clubs have not lowered the sweet spot on a wedge, so therefore to reach he sweet spot on a green-height approach, a divot is almost mandatory, something most good players never used to take on a chip or a pitch.Short game areas(and approach areas on courses) are now littered with the damage from better players finding the sweet spot on a .21 inch height approach
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:23:43 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 11:24:35 AM »
Tommy-I’m glad that your friend has a renewed love for the game. I was lucky enough to play with my grandfather into his early nineties and although he couldn’t hit it out of his shadow it went straight and was still decent on and around the greens. We had to make some adjustments on holes where he could no longer make the required carry but it was a non issue for anyone who was in the group. Starting in his teens as a caddie he enjoyed the game for more than seventy five years as an avid player.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 11:32:53 AM »
I've got a cousin who teed it up everywhere 50 years ago when he first played golf with me, and he teed it up last month when we played.  Now that the USGA is in the relaxed rules of golf mode, why not let us all have fun our way?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mark Kiely

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 11:39:09 AM »
I recently was paired with two novices who play in a ladies group at Marine Memorial. One of them approached me on the first fairway to explain their group allows this on second shots on par 4s and second and third shots (IIRC) on par 5s. I thought it was a cool idea and I'd say it helped us keep pace better because they were hitting better shots.

I've been thinking about it since and I think it all depends on your long-term goals with the game. I'm not sure I'd recommend this for someone who aspires to get serious about golf, but for people who are purely out for some casual recreation, it probably adds a lot more fun to their experience.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Jesse Kodadek

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »
I used to think this was high end, high maintenance .001% problem, but nearly every club I travel to for MET events(OK still a 1% problem ;D ) has lowered fway height and lowered approach height even more. or is rolling the grass ultra tight, a whole nother set of difficulties where clean, reasonably predicatble contact is concerned.

How many courses actually roll the fairway in front of or around the green? I have seen it, but not that often (I am not well-traveled, however).

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 03:28:31 PM »

How many courses actually roll the fairway in front of or around the green? I have seen it, but not that often (I am not well-traveled, however).

The absolute number is probably quite low,but it's something I see more of every year.
The keeping up with the Joneses effect is in full force.
Either way,(shorter or just mushed down) they get tighter every year-and generally no firmer.(and maybe even softer to keep em alive)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 04:01:50 PM »
Edit.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:45:33 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 08:35:26 PM »
I encourage all of my new players to do this, and other things: throw it whenever you want (out of trees, out of a bunker, etc.), pick up on a hole when you're done. Etc. Just keep it fun at first. Golf is not an easy game. Sometimes I wonder how anyone ever actually begins playing…  :)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 09:43:58 PM »
Tommy-I’m glad that your friend has a renewed love for the game. I was lucky enough to play with my grandfather into his early nineties and although he couldn’t hit it out of his shadow it went straight and was still decent on and around the greens. We had to make some adjustments on holes where he could no longer make the required carry but it was a non issue for anyone who was in the group. Starting in his teens as a caddie he enjoyed the game for more than seventy five years as an avid player.

Tim, I could only hope to be lucky enough to play for 75 years. That’s awesome.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Daryl David

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 11:56:12 AM »
This reminds me of the iconic scene in Dead Solid Perfect when Bad Hair (played by the late great Jack Warden) tells Kenny Lee and Spec, “I tee it up everywhere, even in bunkers”.  He also used the grease. But as Spec told Kenny Lee, “Grease don’t help a duck hook”.  ;D

JMEvensky

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 12:19:44 PM »
This reminds me of the iconic scene in Dead Solid Perfect when Bad Hair (played by the late great Jack Warden) tells Kenny Lee and Spec, “I tee it up everywhere, even in bunkers”.  He also used the grease. But as Spec told Kenny Lee, “Grease don’t help a duck hook”.  ;D

I'm betting less than half the people reading this are old enough to know what grease was or why people put it on their drivers. Sadly, I'm old enough.

Daryl David

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 12:28:02 PM »

I'm betting less than half the people reading this are old enough to know what grease was or why people put it on their drivers. Sadly, I'm old enough.

Using grease is another casualty to modern equipment advances. No need for the grease now that persimmon drivers and balata balls are gone.  :)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 04:14:04 PM »
I haven’t done this on the golf course. Yet. But I often practice this way on the driving range before playing. I’ll tee up pretty much every range ball except the short wedges. Better contact between club face and ball.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 04:53:24 PM »
If this approach is handle sensitively and doesn’t inconvenience others and keeps folks playing and having fun then it’s fine by me.
Atb

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 05:13:33 PM »
Tee it up wherever you like - just don’t call it golf. Oh crap, I’ve turned into Melvyn!
 ;D
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 06:12:52 PM »
Tee it up wherever you like - just don’t call it golf. Oh crap, I’ve turned into Melvyn!
 ;D
F.

Bonnar,

You're exactly right.  May as well just be playing TopGolf!

P.S.  I guess course operators should be thankful for those paying full boat and only playing 1/2 the course...or less.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
 ;D
F.

Bonnar,

You're exactly right.  May as well just be playing TopGolf!

P.S.  I guess course operators should be thankful for those paying full boat and only playing 1/2 the course...or less.

I understand what you are saying. However, for X off the tight lies at Ballyhack and the plethora of long carries and uphill shots, teeing it up kept X swinging on the course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

archie_struthers

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2021, 10:17:06 PM »
 ;)

We used to play with a couple guys who teed it up everywhere and didn't think we all knew. Funny thing is they were good players and it was pretty embarrassing when none of us would ever play with them in a better ball or tourney away from home !

Seriously it's a great thing for older , younger or new players.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back