News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Golf Near Gettysburg
« on: August 22, 2021, 06:56:47 PM »
I might head to Gettysburg this weekend.  Any golf close to there you may suggest?

Jim Sherma

Re: Golf Near Gettysburg
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 08:43:47 PM »
Most interesting course close to Gettysburg is Hanover CC (Private). Nice old school course with a few new Gil Hanse holes after a land swap.

On the public side I think The Bridges is pretty good. Nice rolling property with some good shots to get it around with.

Not a fan of the Links at Gettysburg. Couple of photo-ops but not great golf over most of it. I have not played Gettysburg National.

If you are willing to drive a bit CC of York (Private) is wonderful parkland Ross.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 12:37:51 PM »
Penn National resort has two courses, an older Ed Ault and a newer Bill Love.  Worth a look.  If picking only one, I'd play the Love course.  Pace can be an issue on the weekend on the Ault.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »
ski liberty has a nice course     just down the road a small bit      visible form the Round tops.  in  maryland but only a half mile over the border
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 07:43:33 PM »
That course in Carroll Valley.  The 18th is a par-3 that's literally right alongside the ski resort's chair lift.  And, the course has a rare 6-7-5 configuration of par 3s, 4s and 5s.

MLevesque

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 07:31:01 AM »
I’ve not played in the area, but my bubbly, who played freshman year at Gettysburg College, suggested the Links at Gettysburg.
I am Skew!

Greg Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 08:10:14 AM »
Depends on what direction you are coming from.  If you are coming up I-70 from the east, then the Hagerstown, MD area might also be an option. 

The best private club there is Fountain Head CC, which is a 1924 Ross that remains relatively untouched.  It's short and simple but a lovely little members course.  The greens are as Ross intended (I think) based on the field sketches I see from Tufts -- and it appears from the documentation that Ross did spend some on-site time here.  The micro-contours of horse and scoop construction are still discernible.  Bunkers could use some work but aren't horrible.  And it's in a lovely neighborhood of 1920s-1950s construction.  I get to play at Fountain Head occasionally and it's always in good shape.  Worth a 30-40 min drive from Gettysburg if you have the access.

Public-wise I most often play at Maryland National, which is a mid-90s Art Hills course right next to I-70 in Myersville, MD right between Hagerstown and Frederick.  For a modern course it's fine.  Biggest strength is a routing that makes good use of the available land and contours.  Has 4-5 really good holes, esp the 11th which I'd call an outstanding "Leven" template, and the drivable par 4 16th with a tiny green.  Conditioning wise the greens are very good, but the bunkers aren't what they once were (I think to help maint costs).  Weekday afternoon rates there are $55, which is a decent deal for this level of course.  Weekend morning rates are $105, which I can maybe understand -- it might be worth it if you like this style.  I would never pay that myself to play at MN, so it's weekdays for me.  It's no Jeffersonville.  But I think it IS better than the other public offerings in the area, including Penn National.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Bernie Bell

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 09:34:00 AM »
Greg - I would agree MD Nat'l > Penn Iron Forge ... for 16 holes ... then you get to 17 and 18.  That said, if the range is as far as 45+ mins from the battlefield, I'd throw Worthington Manor into the mix.  As you say, depends what direction you're coming from. Fountain Head a no-brainer if you can get on.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 07:08:09 AM »
Depends on what direction you are coming from.  If you are coming up I-70 from the east, then the Hagerstown, MD area might also be an option. 

The best private club there is Fountain Head CC, which is a 1924 Ross that remains relatively untouched.  It's short and simple but a lovely little members course.  The greens are as Ross intended (I think) based on the field sketches I see from Tufts -- and it appears from the documentation that Ross did spend some on-site time here.  The micro-contours of horse and scoop construction are still discernible.  Bunkers could use some work but aren't horrible.  And it's in a lovely neighborhood of 1920s-1950s construction.  I get to play at Fountain Head occasionally and it's always in good shape.  Worth a 30-40 min drive from Gettysburg if you have the access.

Public-wise I most often play at Maryland National, which is a mid-90s Art Hills course right next to I-70 in Myersville, MD right between Hagerstown and Frederick.  For a modern course it's fine.  Biggest strength is a routing that makes good use of the available land and contours.  Has 4-5 really good holes, esp the 11th which I'd call an outstanding "Leven" template, and the drivable par 4 16th with a tiny green.  Conditioning wise the greens are very good, but the bunkers aren't what they once were (I think to help maint costs).  Weekday afternoon rates there are $55, which is a decent deal for this level of course.  Weekend morning rates are $105, which I can maybe understand -- it might be worth it if you like this style.  I would never pay that myself to play at MN, so it's weekdays for me.  It's no Jeffersonville.  But I think it IS better than the other public offerings in the area, including Penn National.

Very much agree Greg.  I was a member at FH for a number of years and enjoyed it very much.  A bucolic setting and a very pleasant walk around a quality golf course.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 09:42:19 AM »
I’ve not played in the area, but my bubbly, who played freshman year at Gettysburg College, suggested the Links at Gettysburg.

I've rated it a few times, it really is fun to play. The holes that border whatever that red rock is are nice. Overall a nice place.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »
OT - How is the battlefield tour?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 03:20:38 PM »

Bogey
Mike,

Incredibly detailed in scope, sobering in content, and frightening in context of today's times.

I highly recommend taking it in over a few days.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 02:04:43 PM »

Bogey
Mike,

Incredibly detailed in scope, sobering in content, and frightening in context of today's times.

Take the time to sit on the Round Tops, or better yet head back around sunset. Stunning, chilling , sobering, eye opening, mournful, educational. Pick one. Been there over 500 times, an amazing piece of history in the midst of a tree removal program.

I highly recommend taking it in over a few days.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back