News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re: Why I can't stand Florida golf?
« Reply #325 on: January 05, 2011, 07:21:06 PM »
I can give a thumbs up for El Diablo, with the disclaimer that it's been 8 or 9 years since I've seen it.

John_Cullum

« Reply #326 on: January 05, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
jw

I hear good things about CC of Ocala, but have not gotten there.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

jeffwarne

« Reply #327 on: January 05, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »
jw

John,
I was referring to the Ocala Golf Club.
I did look at CC of Ocala but the water and clubhouse pictures gave me shivers-will look into.
As always you're welcome to join us.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John_Cullum

« Reply #328 on: January 05, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »
jw

John,
I was referring to the Ocala Golf Club.
I did look at CC of Ocala but the water and clubhouse pictures gave me shivers-will look into.
As always you're welcome to join us.

The 2 photos I could view were unimpressive.

Adam Russell

« Reply #329 on: January 05, 2011, 08:56:54 PM »
Just wanted to find out -- asked previously -- if anyone has played The Ravines in Middleburg or Golden Ocala recently and what type of shape were they in ?

I liked certain dimensions of The Ravines -- but the extreme narrow corridors would make it a tough day for most high handicap types. The par-5 9th there has got be one of the coolest par-5's in all of FL.

Matt,

I just moved to Middleburg in June. The Ravines closed in 2006 but still has the housing component. Everything was just left to rot, and the forest is quickly taking over.

http://www.golfcommunityreviews.com/florida/great-golf-course-doesnt-mean-great-golf-home-investment.html
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #330 on: January 05, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
Has anyone played at the Biltmore recently?  I have played the course twice in one routing, where 18 is a sharp dogleg right.  When I last played the course this December the routing changed significantly for the better.  Finishing with some of the stronger holes on the golf course.  Its also advertised on the front of the scorecard as a 1925 Donald Ross.  A good course with some interesting bunkering on relatively flat terrain.

I also give lots of respect to Crandon Park (formerly Key Biscayne Golf Club).  Its loads of fun to play, the course twists in and out of the mangroves and gives you a pretty sweet view of the bay of Miami on 18.
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #331 on: January 06, 2011, 01:20:39 AM »
Adam,

That Ravines was a darn good golf course. Some of the most interesting ground I've played in Florida. It was criminal that they closed the place. Have you played Palatka G.C. yet? If not, or even if you have, IM me and I'd be happy to meet somewhere for a game if your interested.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

jeffwarne

« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
Paging Jim Kennedy and John Conley John Cullem and any other Florida experts

Any comments on Rolling Hills, Mayfair, Deland CC? (2 out of three classic era)

Also any opinion on Big Bear vs, Eagle Dunes? (probably one or the other)

Trying to come up with 5 courses to play based in Sanford ( public access as I don't like to use the PGA access thing during the busy PGA Show period)

Victoria Hills and Deltona a given

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:28:34 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »
Jeff,
Rolling Hills is good fun. It's not in the league of, say, Eagle Dunes or BB, but when I spent a winter in Orlando it was a great place to sneak in 18. It gets off to a slow start but picks up as it goes along. Seven, 8 and 9 are three beauties, and there are fun holes on the back, with a nice close on 17 & 18. Not long, but a good place to work out some winter kinks. I'd say Mayfair is about the same caliber, haven't played Deland. RH and Mayfair remind me of some of the lesser known. small town courses you find in the Carolinas.

Black Bear and Eagle Dunes are more upscale in size, conditioning, and length. I'd be hard pressed to pick which of these two is more 'round-worthy'. When I'm down there I usually just check out the parking lots and pick the less busy one,.  ;D although I'd say BB would be my choice if I only had the one round. I do think the closing holes at Eagle Dunes are more fun than the ones at BB, and last season it was much easier to get on in the mid afternoon than it was at BB.

The two Johns know the score down there better than I do, hopefully they'll chime in.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »
It's a bit of a hike from Sanford, and it's modern and not classic, but the price is right ($35) at Sugarloaf Mountain.  Deltona and Victoria Hills are good choices in the Sandford area.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »
Southern Dunes (Smyers) in Haines City.

JC Jones

« Reply #336 on: January 09, 2012, 07:22:37 PM »
Considering two suggestions already would require an hours drive or more depending on how long it took you to get through downtown, I'd stay north and perhaps dial up Magnolia Plantation.  It's a beat down for sure but has some fun holes for a typical Florida residential course.  I'd echo BB and ED as well.  You could also try Alaqua Lakes.

If you are that far north, try to avoid crossing town to head south unless you have the patience.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Stewart Abramson

Re: Why I can't stand Florida golf? New
« Reply #337 on: January 09, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »
Jeff,
Rolling Hills is good fun. It's not in the league of, say, Eagle Dunes or BB, but when I spent a winter in Orlando it was a great place to sneak in 18. It gets off to a slow start but picks up as it goes along. Seven, 8 and 9 are three beauties, and there are fun holes on the back, with a nice close on 17 & 18. Not long, but a good place to work out some winter kinks.

I agree with Jim.  Holes 2-6 are pretty repetitive but from 7 on it is decent and I think you can play for around $20. Here's a link to a photo tour

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631965845889/  (updated link)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:19:30 AM by Stewart Abramson »

jeffwarne

« Reply #338 on: January 09, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »
It's a bit of a hike from Sanford, and it's modern and not classic, but the price is right ($35) at Sugarloaf Mountain.  Deltona and Victoria Hills are good choices in the Sandford area.

I've played Sugarloaf, but I'm looking to stay north.
Haven't played Southern Dunes,but  ditto above.

Looking for a something closer, older, and shorter,(and afternoon cart girl friendly ;))) and nearer to pair 2 days with Deltona and Victoria.
Probably play BB or Eagle Dunes on fly in travel afternoon.

Deland CC seems to pair nicely with Victoria, and mayfair(very near where we're staying) would pair nicely with deltona, but Rolling Hills is on the way back to Orlando where I'm staying the last night, so they all work logistically.

Thanks keep 'em coming.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:51:15 PM by jeffwarne »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #339 on: January 10, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »
Jeff,
I haven't played Twin Rivers in Oviedo (east of Rolling Hills) in 10 years, and I don't remember too much about it as it was a one-time play. I don't think I was displeased with it and I do recall that it was a nice setting, half the course was in the 'woods' and half in a development. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #340 on: January 10, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »
The Dunes at Seville was a big surprise several years ago at a Dixie Cup featuring Pine Barrens at World Woods.  Good layout that's a real test of your ability to play out of fairway bunkers, and close to World Woods.

Lester George

« Reply #341 on: January 10, 2012, 12:04:39 PM »
Matt,

Country Club of Florida

Lester

jeffwarne

« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
The Dunes at Seville was a big surprise several years ago at a Dixie Cup featuring Pine Barrens at World Woods.  Good layout that's a real test of your ability to play out of fairway bunkers, and close to World Woods.

Bill,
I always include that when staying in tampa/brooksville, but that's agood 2 hours away from sanford

John_Cullum

« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »
Jeff

Your group will like Redtail. It's just a little east of Mt Dora, an easy drive from Sanford

I have always wanted to check out Erroll Estate.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:39:42 PM by John_Cullum »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »

Bill,
I always include that when staying in tampa/brooksville, but that's agood 2 hours away from sanford

I guess I should read the posts more carefully!

How about an hour to Howey-in-the Hills to play El Campeon?  Yum!  http://missioninnresort.com/golf.html

jeffwarne

« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »

Bill,

How about an hour to Howey-in-the Hills to play El Campeon?  Yum!  http://missioninnresort.com/golf.html

Did that last year-see about 20 posts up-same thread, one year ago ;D
getting warmer though

jeffwarne

« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »

Bill,

John Cullem,
Redtail vs. Black bear and Eagle Dunes?
ready for a road trip?
have you played any of the older ones? (mayfair, deland CC, Rolling Hills-which is eliminated due to tightness ;D

John_Cullum

« Reply #347 on: January 10, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »
I have not seen Black bear or Eagle dunes. I see Eagle Dunes is a Mike Dasher design, and he does some pretty good work. The pictures on the website didn't show me much.

I have not played Black Bear either.

I have been around Red Tail a few times, and it's pretty good. I doubt you would be disappointed there.

One other option is Walkabout at Mims, east of Sanford. I haven't played there either, but I hear it's not bad.

John_Conley

ORLANDO COURSE RECOMMENDATIONS
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2012, 01:14:23 AM »
It is a shame these posts for Orlando course recommendations are tacked on to this old thread.  I miss Matt, but I seldom post here anyway.  This was a bad, bad thread. 

If the question is Red Tail, Black Bear, or Eagle Dunes?  My answer is definitely Eagle Dunes, designed by some time poster Mike Dasher.  Others will disagree, but I think the community here will appreciate it.

Walkabout is good, so I'll second that mention.

Surprisingly, I have never played Rolling Hills.  (There are only five area courses I have not played, all by choice.)  I've heard it is okay.  The site is awfully hilly, so there is potential.  Also never played Deland, which Doug Sobieski has recommended since he played on the golf team at Stetson.

Mayfair isn't very good, but I did recommend it recently to the Mike Bender Academy guys because it is nearby.

Some in the Seminole County area to play:  Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes, Timacuan, Twin Rivers (near where I live)
Avoid:  Magnolia Plantation

One mentioned Errol Estate.  I'm a big fan.  If the conditions are decent, the golf is very enjoyable.  Not too close to Sanford though...maybe 25-30 minutes.  Worth seeing near that is Rock Springs Ridge.

Have fun.

jeffwarne

« Reply #349 on: January 11, 2012, 01:22:19 AM »
Sorry John,
but thanks.

I hate being the guy who starts yet another Orlando golf thread, so I've resurrected this thread the last couple years.
Will try a different approach next year.

I am continually amazed at what I find every year and would have to disagree with the original premise of this thread
,,,,now if I could just get the weather to hold for 2 more weeks (It's usually awful when I'm there)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back