News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: Least Played Course
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
What about the Flynn-designed reversible course at Pocantico Hills owned by the Rockefeller family?

I live in the general region but I don't know a single person who has played Due Process Stables in NJ.

Yes you do.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2021, 10:12:54 AM »
I’d say Canyata. I don’t even think anyone lives there.

No one lives there.

I am reminded of a line I heard when I asked about the very long single lane driveway that comes onto the property.  Its been a lot of years, but I think it was a mile or two and definitely not a two lane road.   I heard the owner once said "if two cars ever meet on the driveway we are getting too busy!"

As stated on here now apparently you can get access through the website, I have not gone online to check.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Ira Fishman

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2021, 10:59:51 AM »
I just went on the Canyata website. Yes, $850  per person but lunch is included. However, I post because the website raises an interesting architect attribution issue. GD always has given at least some if not sole credit to Bob Lohmann.  Yet the website makes quite clear in more than one place that the owner views Michael Benkusky (noted as Lohmann's lead project designer) as the Architect.

Ira

MCirba

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2021, 01:27:07 PM »

I live in the general region but I don't know a single person who has played Due Process Stables in NJ.

Yes you do.
Well, there you go!   Pray tell Kyle, because I'm never sure if no one has played there due to exclusivity or reputation.  ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2021, 01:28:53 PM »
Double reply here but I would throw Pikewood national. Buddy of mine is a member, said there were 50 members? Pretty crazy. Heard it's one of the toughest walks in golf.
It's actually one of the best walks in golf.

However, it just takes nine miles.   ;D

MCirba

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2021, 01:38:31 PM »

Now you do! ;D

Mike,

The owner is on his third member purge. So long as there at least 4 people on property (not for a foursome, but for a game of "Hollywood" style Gin Rummy), the place will be busy!
Steve,

Just saw this.   Member purges...hmmmm.    ;D

David_Tepper

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2021, 01:40:04 PM »
Speaking of Due Process:

https://progolfnow.com/2019/03/01/golf-courses-exclusive-america/5/

I grew up in Monmouth County. Knew that area way before that golf course ever was built.

https://progolfnow.com/2019/03/01/golf-courses-exclusive-america/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:56:22 PM by David_Tepper »

Keith Williams

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2021, 01:53:57 PM »
Surprised no mention of Vidauban yet.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »
Viduaban is quiet, but it does get play. Compared to the Agadir palace course, it's rammed  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Brian Finn

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2021, 02:56:00 PM »
I’m convinced at least one of the courses mentioned is made-up!   :)

Just when you think you’ve heard of pretty much every golf course in the world...
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2021, 04:04:41 PM »
Positing Lofoten Links and the course in the Himalayas

Conley Hurst

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2021, 04:12:27 PM »
Somebody connected with Golf Digest obviously thinks very highly of Alotian, but the fact that it appears on only one of the four top 100 listings recently discussed on this site seems to imply a very small amount of play. 

Seconded on Alotian. There are rarely more than a couple groups on the course on any given afternoon.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2021, 04:14:53 PM »
If Oregon had a contender it would be Christmas Valley, a 9 hole 3500 yd course. I think it has a driveable par 4 with a reverse cant so steep the only play was long and chip back (I guess it could.ve been a reachable par 5).

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2021, 04:19:17 PM »

No, Lofoten gets quite a lot of play. There are quite a few local members, and in the summer the islands are packed with tourists.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Daryl David

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2021, 09:57:49 PM »

No, Lofoten gets quite a lot of play. There are quite a few local members, and in the summer the islands are packed with tourists.

True. I had to navigate around 2 different member events when I was there. Luckily that time of year you could play until 10pm so the course could handle the traffic.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2021, 10:34:41 PM »

Yes you do.
Well, there you go!   Pray tell Kyle, because I'm never sure if no one has played there due to exclusivity or reputation.  ;)

Mike, I know many who have played it as well as a former DP greenskeeper. I can tell you that many locals never sought access to it because of the original owner.

Phil Burr

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2021, 12:23:03 AM »
I would assume Ardfin belongs in this discussion, at least in its original incarnation as a rich man's private playground for his friends and family.  They do now allow guest play but I would imagine that cost and geography ensure a very minimal amount of play.  The architect of Ardfin, Bob Garrison, also designed Ellerston, so he certainly has the pedigree to work on these types of projects.

Will Lozier

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2021, 03:04:56 PM »
I played with a former asst. pro from Cypress Point in the 90's who said a busy day there was 5 foursomes.

During my two rounds at CPC, I definitely saw more deer than golfers.

Phil Burr

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2021, 03:39:31 PM »
When I played CPC my host member said a busy day was five PLAYERS.

David_Tepper

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2021, 05:03:53 PM »
Cypress Point possibly gets more play from "unaccompanied guests" (that are introduced by members) than it gets from the members themselves. :)

Jon Sweet

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2021, 11:05:39 PM »
Cypress Point possibly gets more play from "unaccompanied guests" (that are introduced by members) than it gets from the members themselves. :)
If anyone is looking to sponsor me on unaccompanied I’ll make time. Just saying.

Mike Worth

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2021, 06:32:19 AM »
There is a 9 hole course (with several alternate tees to make an 18 hole experience) located in a private residential colony in the Catskills/upstate NY that gets around 1,200 rounds a year. The nine hole course is a par 35 and measures 3000+ yards

I’m hesitant to name the course because I’m not a member. The members there treat their privacy very seriously and I don’t want to be the reason inquiries are made

I grew up in the area and used to play the course frequently. Due to a variety of factors, including the privacy noted above, I last played it in 2010.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 07:02:16 AM by Mike Worth »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2021, 11:51:23 PM »
I played with a former asst. pro from Cypress Point in the 90's who said a busy day there was 5 foursomes.

When we were on Maui a couple years ago I set up a round at Makena, which I think used to be a resort with two courses, but now is an 18 hole Discovery Land property.  That means one of their famous "comfort stations", complete with a welcoming attendant and barbecue chicken and sausage, wagyu beef sliders, containers of fresh sashimi, and a fully stocked beer fridge and bar with well displayed Casamigos Tequila.  They paired me with an assistant pro, and I was surprised to see him driving the cart right up to collars.  I asked if they had any cart restrictions, and he said not really, as the Paspalum is really hardy and "you'll probably be one of fewer than ten golfers on the property all day". 

Nigel Islam

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2021, 12:34:29 AM »
I just went on the Canyata website. Yes, $850  per person but lunch is included. However, I post because the website raises an interesting architect attribution issue. GD always has given at least some if not sole credit to Bob Lohmann.  Yet the website makes quite clear in more than one place that the owner views Michael Benkusky (noted as Lohmann's lead project designer) as the Architect.

Ira

Lohmann only was involved in the initial few holes, and I believe it was Benkusky who convinced Forsyth to make it 18.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2021, 07:19:45 AM »
I would bet on the sagard course in the Charlevoix region of quebec

On the site of the Desmarais family manor and property... probably 4h north of Montréal

Probably open from june 1st to october 15th because of the canadian winter.

The family also owns a course in Memphrémagog (1h20 minutes east of Montréal) where a busy day is 8 players...

So i doubt sagard gets more than 200 rounds a year

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back