News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Well, truth be told... it's like 99% of the courses I ever seen outside of driving distance from my home...and 95% of the courses within driving distance; I've been spoiled to have played and seen plenty and now, golf has to be utterly convenient and served on a platter at a minimum of cost that jives with good friends.

To honor the spirit of the Question I have two offbeat choices that I realize I will not see again.

Augusta National, sneaking on in 98 and attending two days of Masters' PR in 01; it's one of those rare things that exceeds expectations. I realize there is honest GCA debate about whether it has been made grotesque or monstrous from Mac's design, but the sight of it in private stolen minutes and the 2001 tournament experience were singular, even in a purely GCA manner, forgetting the total club history.  It is beautiful to my apprehension, yet I'm over the hoo-hah of wrangling Masters tix and the attendant layers against the tides of my meager middle age life....And I'm not going over rolled barbed wire in moccasins as I was still apt to do 23 years ago.

The Palm Beach Par 3 course, divided by A1A, as you head into Lake Worth. I played it three times, the last 32 years ago.  Each of my visits (each in February) was played on near-identical windy, humid but overcast, so therefore cool, days. I love some of the shots to and along the ocean side. In the increased ball curvature of those years and the steady sea wind, the ball could move nearly 50 yards laterally, which was charmingly unnatural apprehending a 165 yard shot. And I liked the relaxation of perfectly flat ground; it was like a neat little 18 hole "playing range" for up to 5-woods.  It was fun and you cross A1A a couple of times, going to and fro the oceanside...and it was always in good use, it was a buzzing colony of senior and junior golfers.  I can hardly imagine how many Florida grandfathers who weren't loaded, took their northern grandchildren out there.

But Palm Beach and most of Florida is like Mordor to me at this point, so charmed though I may be, another visit is not in the cards.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

mike_malone

Tried to post a photo. Now can’t delete this. Just ignore.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:27:13 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back