News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Kardash

Ulukhaktok golf course, NWT, Canada, True Minamalism
« on: January 30, 2021, 12:03:29 PM »
The world's northernmost, and I assume most remote golf course is Ulukhaktok golf course in the Northwest Territories of Canada. I just came across this Youtube video of their annual golf tournament. Enjoy this true Minimalism;) Here is a link to where this "course" is located. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:12:50 PM by matt kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tom_Doak

Re: Ulukhaktok golf course, NWT, Canada, True Minamalism
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »
That's pretty far out there!

Tromso Golf Club in Norway is almost that far north [69th parallel vs. 70th], and has a full 18 holes of grass fairways and greens.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 01:25:03 PM »
Shows what’s possible and reminds me of field golf as a young kid. Ball, stick, hole, friends, fun and laughs.
Golf’s really a pretty simple ball and stick game although one that hasn’t half become more and more complicated and expensive over the decades.
Well posted.
Atb

Matt Kardash

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 02:49:25 PM »
That's pretty far out there!

Tromso Golf Club in Norway is almost that far north [69th parallel vs. 70th], and has a full 18 holes of grass fairways and greens.
The climate in Scandinavia at those latitudes is nothing compared to Canada. Due to the gulf stream warm waters rise up along the Norwegian coast keeping the winters relatively mild compared to Canada.
Montreal, where I live, is at the same latitude as the south of France. Needless to say, Montreal is not the south of France in the winter!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:41:13 PM by Matt Kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 05:16:29 PM »
Growing up in Southern Alberta, we used to dig golf holes throughout the hills and create our own golf course. It was a blast, and reminds me of this. I think it is pretty cool they still manage to play golf up there. Impressive!

Probably later this decade, I'll venture up to Whitehorse to see Mountain View, Yellowknife to see Yellowknife Golf Club (there's a rumour Thompson visited and said it was nice, but I have never found anything on it... I've never really tried to!), and Ulukhaktok. I think it would be really fun, and I'll need to play something in Nunavut to complete every province/territory in Canada. Perhaps the golf course they make out of ice in Iqaluit!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:19:39 PM by Drew Harvie »

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 06:10:46 PM »
Love it. They need logoed merch!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 06:26:38 PM »
Love it. They need logoed merch!

Paging Zac Blair.  Zac, Blair.

EDIT:  Actually, they have this covered:  http://ulukhaktok.com/

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:34:07 PM by Tom_Doak »

Cal Seifert

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 08:17:14 AM »
Reminds me of seeing a video of golf being played in Coober Pedy.

http://www.cooberpedygolfclub.com.au/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back