News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

What feature?
« on: January 23, 2021, 08:52:01 PM »
When trying to point out why someone should pay attention to architecture who probably has not given it much thought, what feature gets them thinking? I have found that features that affect their shots work best. Anything from a dramatic false front to a speed slot to a shoulder off a bunker that led them to miss a putt. I find it more difficult to explain the line of charm or even angles. That could because I am an amateur regarding gca or just not good at communicating abstract visuals.

Ira

JMEvensky

Re: What feature?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 05:40:19 AM »
Green/bunkers relationship I think. Most people can understand the concept of angles when it's presented as "it's easier to get it TO that spot if you hit it FROM this spot".

SL_Solow

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:29:16 AM »
Ira,   This is an interesting topic.  I agree that angles are a good choice.  For me, I like to point out the impact that different shapes and slopes on greens have on the entire hole.  For example, our 9th hole is a relatively long par 4 with a green that has significant slope from front to back.  The following hole is shorter with a green sloping sharply from back to front.  Further along our 14th is in between in length with a reverse Redan style green (bunkering is different than a true Redan).  It's pretty easy to help other players understand how the architecture of these greens impacts play and makes it more fun and interesting.  Then we can talk about other, less obvious, features.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 12:54:52 PM »
In my experience, its only the obvious ones like OB or water.

On more subtle stuff like if you lay it back on say a par 5 approach where you're left with a nice flat lie from 125 yards out compared to a steep side hill lie from 75 yards, they usually don't get it.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 02:04:14 PM »
Over many years, as I have said, most comments come about the negatives.  Try asking what hole they like, about the only answer you can get is about the ones they don't like.

When I do get random comments about specific golf holes that aren't purely negative, I find they come from holes that are unusual, difficult, or artistic, in about that order.  Better players notice difficulty, except really long par 4 and par 3 holes, where average players just can't reach with two great shots.  Casual golfers tend to notice artistic as much as anything.

Agree it's usually the obvious features over subtle ones like angles that people focus on.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 02:33:35 PM »
Ira -
three years ago I introduced two friends (adults in their 40s, good athletes, smart) to golf. I'm very glad to report that they've both come to absolutely love the game -- indeed, both recently joined good quality and historic private clubs, and have established handicaps: my white collar friend is, remarkably, already down to an 8, while my blue collar friend is a 16. I played with them (and they with me) almost exclusively for two years, on courses both good and bad, old and new. My impressions and observations:
1. New-beginning golfers do in fact notice & understand architectural features, but at first they are not *concerned* about them in the least. Finding a rare fairway, hitting a rare green, and managing on rare occasion to get out of a green-side bunker is all they care about at first, for the first year.
2. What they then do begin to really appreciate (as JM and SL note) are angles, ie the importance (on quality courses with strategic designs) of being on the 'correct' side of the fairway for the 'better' approach shot, given green contours-orientation-hazards -- and how that relates to analyzing costs-benefits off the tee, given the nature of a given fairway and the (safe) options & risks on display.
3. What they also notice, but rarely encounter on newer courses, is how much of an impact fairway contours can have on their games, ie how much sidehill and uphill/downhill lies affect their approach shots, making those shots more difficult but also (sometimes) more interesting and fun.
4. After the first year and a half, both friends (thankfully) decided never to play again two courses that had in the early days had been their favourites -- specifically because the greens were too flat. Once they had started hitting more greens, they began noticing how boring it was to almost never have to aim their putts anywhere but directly at the hole.
Both are now members at golden age courses with much more dramatically contoured greens.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:37:05 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back