News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Claydon

Re: A Course You Could Play Every Day
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2021, 02:21:06 PM »
Paul:

The one course that stands out in your list of ignored courses is Chicago Golf Club.  It's certainly not too hard to play every day, which is what probably kept Pine Valley and Oakmont off the list.  Perhaps it's just that not too many here have played it?  Or is this a sign that it's overrated?

my guess is not that many have played.  also, when you answer a thread like this, it is sometimes hard to think of all the really good alternatives unless you review some sort of list (either a published list like a top 100 or one's own list) as you are answering.  I would also point out that Sand Hills only got one mention!!

oh...one other thing...some could have legitimately excluded certain courses as candidates because the climate is not playable all year round (Chicago, Sand Hills, etc.)

Having been lucky enough to play both Chicago Golf and Sand Hills, i find Sand Hills far more interesting and fun to play.  I excluded both from consideration for reasons aside from golf merit though.  Chicago, because the stuffy atmosphere and lack of easy access to a few beers would make it bore to play every day and Sand Hills because i was presuming that i would have to be only in Mullens. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2021, 06:49:23 AM »

edit:

I would add Gamble Sands and Wolf Point to my list.

Common theme amongst my choices are firm and fast with interesting greens.

Make up your mind, Jim.  I liked Gamble Sands a lot, but if you're trying to tell me it has interesting greens, you've lost me.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2021, 07:18:34 AM »
Although I only had the chance to play it once and not hang about that long after my round, I felt that Utrechtse Golfclub "De Pan" would be a course I'd be happy to be restricted to play for the rest of my life. To play it every day would be a bonus.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2021, 10:11:21 AM »

edit:

I would add Gamble Sands and Wolf Point to my list.

Common theme amongst my choices are firm and fast with interesting greens.

Make up your mind, Jim.  I liked Gamble Sands a lot, but if you're trying to tell me it has interesting greens, you've lost me.

Gamble's greens are not the most interesting but they are big enough to offer a change of pace each day.
Mr Hurricane

Ben Sims

« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2021, 09:50:10 PM »
I’m sort of surprised at how many are ignoring obvious variables to the debate, like climate or difficulty of the walk. Ballyneal is a sentimental favorite, but dammed if I want to get poked in the shin by yucca in 98 degree heat more than a handful of times per year. And Friars Head? Poking one’s head above the dune while walking up the steps off 14 and getting smoked in the face by a gale off the sound in January seems cool I guess.

So, with that said and ignoring the obvious choice of Cypress Point, I’m surprised to not see Seminole listed (maybe I missed it). It’s warm there in summer, but nothing like the continental climates. California seems to have an advantage in the climate category. Riviera, LACC, and Bel Air all seem like obvious candidates. As do the easier walks of the courses at Bandon, with Old Macdonald leading that category for me.

jeffwarne

« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2021, 11:35:09 PM »
I’m sort of surprised at how many are ignoring obvious variables to the debate, like climate or difficulty of the walk. Ballyneal is a sentimental favorite, but dammed if I want to get poked in the shin by yucca in 98 degree heat more than a handful of times per year. And Friars Head? Poking one’s head above the dune while walking up the steps off 14 and getting smoked in the face by a gale off the sound in January seems cool I guess.

So, with that said and ignoring the obvious choice of Cypress Point, I’m surprised to not see Seminole listed (maybe I missed it). It’s warm there in summer, but nothing like the continental climates. California seems to have an advantage in the climate category. Riviera, LACC, and Bel Air all seem like obvious candidates. As do the easier walks of the courses at Bandon, with Old Macdonald leading that category for me.

Might just a different interpretation.
Guessing Tom wasn't trying to determine the best course in the mildest year round climate.Literally speaking, you can't tee it up 365 days  with winter storms even in LA.
I take it to mean a course you never tire of,as Augusta CC was for me as a kid and remains that way to me despite enormous change-or Palmetto for me later in life. Come to think of it Southampton fits the bill as well :)
If I'm wrong and he meant 365, TOC is certainly a great choice but I'm not sure I'd want to carry a mat and brave the elements of January/February every day.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 10:21:21 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

AChao

« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2021, 07:50:20 PM »
I’m not properly answering your question, but I would choose a place with good weather, not too much wind, and a place with multiple tees and ways of playing.  I might be one of the few people who even if allowed to play his favorite course three days in a row would want to play somewhere else the fourth day.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2021, 08:05:40 PM »
Paul:

The one course that stands out in your list of ignored courses is Chicago Golf Club.  It's certainly not too hard to play every day, which is what probably kept Pine Valley and Oakmont off the list.  Perhaps it's just that not too many here have played it?  Or is this a sign that it's overrated?

my guess is not that many have played.  also, when you answer a thread like this, it is sometimes hard to think of all the really good alternatives unless you review some sort of list (either a published list like a top 100 or one's own list) as you are answering.  I would also point out that Sand Hills only got one mention!!

oh...one other thing...some could have legitimately excluded certain courses as candidates because the climate is not playable all year round (Chicago, Sand Hills, etc.)

Having been lucky enough to play both Chicago Golf and Sand Hills, i find Sand Hills far more interesting and fun to play.  I excluded both from consideration for reasons aside from golf merit though.  Chicago, because the stuffy atmosphere and lack of easy access to a few beers would make it bore to play every day and Sand Hills because i was presuming that i would have to be only in Mullens.

I’ve been lucky enough to play both and agree that Sand Hills is a more amazing experience. My number one. But I’ve only gotten there once.

On the other hand, I’ve probably played Chicago Golf 40 times. Never had a problem remaining hydrated either! 

Finally, to direct my post to this specific thread, if I had to pick, I’d choose CGC as the every day pick. An easier walk, less menacing bunkers and a 20 minute drive to my house!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:14:01 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2021, 08:19:46 PM »

As Jeff said, I wasn't really looking to bring climate into this.

If you want to, Seminole is closed for 3-4 months in the summer, so you should probably skip that.  Really all the best candidates are on the west coast, maybe a few in the Carolinas.  I would put The Valley Club right equal with the three courses in L.A. for daily enjoyment.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2021, 09:27:27 PM »
I kind of fancy Canyon River in East Missoula...loads of fun!     And cheap!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Sean_A

« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2021, 05:31:47 AM »

If you want to, Seminole is closed for 3-4 months in the summer, so you should probably skip that.  Really all the best candidates are on the west coast, maybe a few in the Carolinas.  I would put The Valley Club right equal with the three courses in L.A. for daily enjoyment.

Oh, I took the question as the course is chosen with all the realities in place. Hence I went 12 months a year, the sort of club which I like and location.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2021, 05:44:35 AM »
I'll throw in Port Fairy

I may be incredibly biased, but I agree 100%.

Ben Sims

« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2021, 10:23:00 AM »

I didn’t know that about Seminole, though I probably should’ve. My mistake.

For several reasons, it’s very hard for me to ignore climate. In my opinion, it plays a a moderate part in design and hence, our answers to this question. Architects design for wind and precipitation, I’d expect temperature to play a role as well. Perhaps the question should’ve been couched; a course you could play everyday, six months out of the year.  ;)

So, with the climate variable sort of tossed out, I’ll still stick with Cypress Point as the obvious and clear answer that can’t be beaten. But for a runner up or two? I’ll change my answer to read Maidstone and the par sixty something course at Sand Valley.

jeffwarne

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2021, 10:41:26 AM »

I didn’t know that about Seminole, though I probably should’ve. My mistake.

For several reasons, it’s very hard for me to ignore climate. In my opinion, it plays a a moderate part in design and hence, our answers to this question. Architects design for wind and precipitation, I’d expect temperature to play a role as well. Perhaps the question should’ve been couched; a course you could play everyday, six months out of the year.  ;)

So, with the climate variable sort of tossed out, I’ll still stick with Cypress Point as the obvious and clear answer that can’t be beaten. But for a runner up or two? I’ll change my answer to read Maidstone and the par sixty something course at Sand Valley.

Hard to argue with Cypress Point of the Valley Club for a variety of reasons.
In addition to Seminole being closed in the summer, there is also their hard stop closure  at 6 pm.
Not a big deal in December due to darkness, but I could NEVER include a club on my every day list that disallowed a late evening round with plenty of available daylight(in April you'd be sacrificing nearly 2 1/2 hours), one of the true joys of golf, and a mandatory requirement for MY everyday course.
Great place to work though I'm sure!

As I rethink this, I think Palmetto has the best mix,easily walkable, interesting compact course(that challenges even the best), super low key culture,where one can join one of several daily dogfight groups(that play quickly) or easily play a 2 ball in the wide seams created ahead of, between or behind these daily groups.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2021, 02:11:11 PM »

In addition to Seminole being closed in the summer, there is also their hard stop closure  at 6 pm.
Not a big deal in December due to darkness, but I could NEVER include a club on my every day list that disallowed a late evening round with plenty of available daylight(in April you'd be sacrificing nearly 2 1/2 hours), one of the true joys of golf, and a mandatory requirement for MY everyday course.

WHAAAAT?  I have never heard of that rule, but I agree it would be a deal-breaker for me.

Many courses now also restrict early morning play [so the maintenance crew can work without having to be considerate of golfers], and while I understand the impetus for it, that one bothers me, too.  Early morning is a beautiful time to be out there, and some days that's the only way you're going to have time to play.

Peter Bowman

« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2021, 02:22:15 PM »
Easy.  Hooper Golf Course  ;D

Steven Blake

« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2021, 08:55:08 PM »
Wolf Point and Lawsonia Links! Both fun to play and could enjoy as I age when my golf skills diminish.

Steven Blake

jeffwarne

« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2021, 08:59:06 PM »

WHAAAAT?  I have never heard of that rule, but I agree it would be a deal-breaker for me.

Many courses now also restrict early morning play [so the maintenance crew can work without having to be considerate of golfers], and while I understand the impetus for it, that one bothers me, too.  Early morning is a beautiful time to be out there, and some days that's the only way you're going to have time to play.

I was on a panel with Bob Ford at the PGA Show last January.
It's one of the things he mentioned(and absolute hard and fast rule)-I had never heard that before either.
Even the Taylormade Pandemic Relief Skins Game had to abide

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2020/05/17/heres-why-taylormade-driving-relief-will-end-at-6-p-m-eastern-no-matter-what-119197/

I can't imagine working there as evening is about the only time most staff get out to play.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:05:47 PM by jeffwarne »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2021, 09:16:46 PM »
The world is my oyster and I have chosen to play Tranquilo in Orlando most everyday of my life and could not be happier. You won't see me there this week because we are hosting the LPGA tournament of champions.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2021, 09:44:56 PM »
The world is my oyster and I have chosen to play Tranquilo in Orlando most everyday of my life and could not be happier. You won't see me there this week because we are hosting the LPGA tournament of champions.

Tranquilo sounds like a name you made up, so, you have found your way home!  :D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2021, 10:07:51 PM »

Its legit, I looked it up.   ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2021, 10:10:12 PM »

I'm a free range son of a bitch happy as a chicken on a stick.

Phil Burr

« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2021, 10:53:39 PM »
Tranquilo is basically Fazio's old Osprey Ridge course from Disney's Bonnet Creek Golf Club.  BCGC had two courses: Eagle Pines, a low-profile Dye design (now demolished) and Osprey Ridge, an overworked but enjoyable Fazio design.  Tranquilo eliminated the 18th hole from Osprey Ridge to make way for the Four Seasons and shoehorned a par-3 9th hole into a space between the current 14th (former 13th) hole and the current 16th (former 15th) green.  Tranquilo now ends with the old 17th hole, a watery par-3.  I played both courses regularly for 10 years and my preference was 2/3 Dye and 1/3 Fazio.  Is anyone else familiar with the two courses as originally built, and did you have a favorite?  By the way, I thought both courses were a substantial upgrade over the original Palm & Magnolia courses that were used for Disney's PGA event.  The old Lake Buena Vista course scarcely deserves mention at all.

Peter Bowman

« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2021, 11:05:04 AM »
Cypress Point!  I figured I would pick one that most here have played and that we would all want to play every day  ;D
I'll 2nd this vote.  I played it in 2015 and it was the 5th best day of my life!  I can't wait for the privilege to play there again

Bill Gayne

« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2021, 07:57:32 PM »
I could play Holston Hills every day (taking weather out of the discussion) and be happy. Classic Ross with a good variety of holes that can be easily walked.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back