News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

Round Two is complete and the ballots have been tabulated.  Three of the top four seeds have reached the Final Fore (tm), with one notable exception: Tom Doak (#7) has upset Charles Blaire Macdonald (#2).

Of course, if Macdonald were alive today, he would dispute the legitimacy of GCA as a golf architecture body, he would denounce the results, form his own website, create a new poll, and then ultimately declare himself the first champion.

NOW THE SEMIFINALS BEGIN!  The Final Fore (tm) will match the following:

Dr. Alister Mackenzie (#1) vs. George C. Thomas, Jr. (#4)
Tom Doak (#7) vs. Robert Hunter (#3)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 12:07:21 AM by Carlyle Rood »

George Pazin

Tom & George in the finals for me, with George winning by just a bit.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

The soul of golf shrieks at CBMac's defeat.  I doubt even Doak himself would put his book over this all-time classic.

:'( :'( :'(

So now that this is completely ruined, I'm basing my votes on NAME only, as Mr. Pazin obviously has done.

George C. THOMAS v. TOM Doak in the semis, then whoever wins that matters not to me, as a studly name takes it either way.

Thomas Huckaby
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 09:28:55 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Allan Long

(No question) Doak vs. (please don't make me pick) Thomas. May this not stop me from ever getting on Crystal Downs. ;)
Sorry Doc.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Carlyle Rood

I wonder if I overseeded "Scotland's Gift" and "The Spirit of St. Andrews."  I definitely underseeded "The Anatomy of Golf."  I intended to seed it #5, but pulled an "NCAA" so that I could match Doak (student) and Dye (mentor) in the first round.

Norbert P

For what it worth, I'd like to enter a "write in" vote for  Tom Simpson and H. Wethered for The Architectural Side of Golf.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Carlyle Rood

For what it worth, I'd like to enter a "write in" vote for  Tom Simpson and H. Wethered for The Architectural Side of Golf.

No problem.  Your write-in has been entered.  It's now seeded #17 and has officially lost in the first round.  Thanks for playing.   ;D

The problem with your suggestion is that it lends credibility to this contest.  Per the contest rules, this exercise is intended to be "unreliable, unscientific, and unfair."  Please try to stay in the spirit of the game.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 02:27:36 PM by Carlyle Rood »

JNC Lyon

Who can argue against the classic: The Links. One of the first, and maybe the best, of the "how-to" books, the text is similar to that of Anatomy, but it is the illustration that gives it the win.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back