News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Harvie

Cabot Pacific (Rod Whitman) Revelstoke, BC
« on: October 27, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
Word leaked today about a Rod Whitman design in Revelstoke, British Columbia that's going to be the third leg of the Cabot resort. Exciting news. Rough outline for the golf course in the link attached below.

It's a preliminary plan, and I think they still need permits to fully develop the golf course, but they've been clearing trees and brush most of this year, I believe.

https://revelstoke.civicweb.net/document/157150

https://golfnewsnow.ca/blog/canadian-collection-of-cabot-courses-could-include-cabot-revelstoke/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 11:56:14 AM by Drew Harvie »

Jason Thurman

Re: Cabot Revelstoke
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 03:17:03 PM »
That's gonna be one hell of a shuttle ride.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Daryl David

Re: Cabot Revelstoke (Rod Whitman)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »
Can’t wait for MK get Bandon Orlando going.  ;D

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:54:17 PM »
:D
Though from Winnipeg it's very smooth sailing all the way to Regina and Calgary.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:00:22 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 05:18:12 PM »
:D
Though from Winnipeg it's very smooth sailing all the way to Regina and Calgary.

Once you get to Thunder Bay, you don't have to leave the Trans-Canada Highway until Revelstoke!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »
A little bit over 3 hours from Merritt and Sagebrush.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »
Revelstoke is on the verge of really taking off as a year round destination resort.  The ski area has exceptional terrain with almost Alta quality snow.  Plus it is the snowmobiling mecca.  I would love to have an excuse to visit there in the summer

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 10:44:39 PM »
A little bit over 3 hours from Merritt and Sagebrush.
Any update on Sagebrush?  Supposedly there is work being done towards reopening in the next year or so but I can't find any info on that.

Andrew Harvie

Tom Bacsanyi

Re: Cabot Pacific (Rod Whitman) Revelstoke, BC
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 12:42:07 PM »
Why is it called Cabot Pacific?

It's 400 miles from the Pacific Ocean.

Looks like an awesome project, but as someone involved in both skiing and golf in a mountain resort setting, these courses are virtually 100% cartball with an emphasis on aesthetics over playability.

So the question has to be asked: With the St. Lucia project and now Revvie, is Keiser's organization experiencing mission creep?
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 12:56:29 PM »
Why is it called Cabot Pacific?

It's 400 miles from the Pacific Ocean.

Looks like an awesome project, but as someone involved in both skiing and golf in a mountain resort setting, these courses are virtually 100% cartball with an emphasis on aesthetics over playability.

So the question has to be asked: With the St. Lucia project and now Revvie, is Keiser's organization experiencing mission creep?

Not sure why it's called Cabot Pacific, but it won't be cart ball. I've walked the property and the topo map says just under 200 feet of elevation change, and it's fairly gradual. It's a brilliant property at the base of the mountain, so nothing too extreme yet. For context, Greywolf has close to 400 feet of elevation change, Capilano around 350 (but this is crazy impressive it's walkable), Seymour in Vancouver at 250 and walkable, Sagebrush would be in the neighborhood of Capilano
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:59:38 PM by Drew Harvie »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 01:02:52 PM »
Having skied Revelstoke for 15 plus days so far, I think I known the golf course area fairly well, and think it may be Jasper, Siwanoy, or Sleepy Hollow like terrain.  And there could possibly be a hole looking across the Columbia of Mt. MacPherson that actually eclipses the 16th at Sleepy Hollow in the all-world view category.  I cannot be exact, but I don't think there is more than 150 feet of elevation change in that location, and the golf course elevation is actually quite low for an alpine mountain---1,680 ft., which pretty much makes it the same elevation as Barona Creek in San Diego

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 01:04:49 PM »
Having skied Revelstoke for 15 plus days so far, I think I known the golf course area fairly well, and think it may be Jasper, Siwanoy, or Sleepy Hollow like terrain.  And there could possibly be a hole looking across the Columbia of Mt. MacPherson that actually eclipses the 16th at Sleepy Hollow in the all-world view category.  I cannot be exact, but I don't think there is more than 150 feet of elevation change in that location, and the golf course elevation is actually quite low for an alpine mountain---1,680 ft., which pretty much makes it the same elevation as Barona Creek in San Diego

Yep, you get long views looking down the Columbia, with mountains the other way literally directly on top of you

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
I'm excited for Rod to build another golf course, but confused about the name.  Revelstoke is about 350 miles from the ocean.

SL_Solow

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 02:12:13 PM »
Anybody know anything about the soil? 

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 03:34:26 PM »
Anybody know anything about the soil?

Honestly, I'm not sure. However, it's far enough down the mountain and close enough to the Columbia River the soils should be okay. Not too much sand in the interior of BC, but they pulled it off at Sagebrsuh, so

SL_Solow

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 03:44:38 PM »
The reason that I am asking is that Mike Keiser has indicated that he only wants to build on sand.  Note his only inland courses are the Dunes Club which is near Lake Michigan on dune land and Sand Valley which is on an ancient deposit of sand.  Either the soil is different than expected or it must be a truly extraordinary site

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »

You mean the same guy who was an investor in a 2001 Tom Fazio design housing development course?
H.P.S.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 05:05:31 PM »

You mean the same guy who was an investor in a 2001 Tom Fazio design housing development course?

Are you suggesting he's returning to his roots then?

Regardless, I hope this project is successful. No one has really hit on the holy grail of both elite level skiing and elite golf architecture. There are lots of courses in close proximity to ski resorts, but they tend to be pure real estate plays (you are much more likely to sell a McMansion if golf is available in summer to go along with skiing). Generally, mountain courses tend to be aesthetically beautiful and well conditioned but extremely target oriented and not all that strategic. They also end up having some absolutely terrible, crammed, claustrophobic holes to make the routing work. You also will get sick of elevated tee shots.

As for the soils, the best I've seen in mountainous environments tend to straddle rivers or creeks and have silty characteristics. Any significant departure from such areas tends to be rocky clay, emphasis on the rocky part. So if Keiser and crew found a sand deposit  where they are building their course then they have pretty much struck gold.

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

SL_Solow

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 05:56:56 PM »
Pat, no need for me to defend Mike Keiser but you know there were special circumstances regarding a relationship between him and the sponsors of the Glen Club.  He was not the lead on that deal.  I suppose you are critical of his efforts to improve Chicago's oldest public course, Jackson Park, because it does not fit his preferred profile.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 09:12:03 PM »
Does anyone know if this is a solo effort by Rod, or is it the newly formed CAD (or is it DAC or...) Design Group?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2020, 09:18:56 PM »
Does anyone know if this is a solo effort by Rod, or is it the newly formed CAD (or is it DAC or...) Design Group?

Joe,
The lead of the article in reply #8 says firm of Whitman, Axland and Cutten.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2020, 09:56:35 PM »

Joe,
The lead of the article in reply #8 says firm of Whitman, Axland and Cutten.

Thanks, Pete. I took a quick look, but I missed it.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2020, 11:13:55 PM »
...No one has really hit on the holy grail of both elite level skiing and elite golf architecture. There are lots of courses in close proximity to ski resorts, but they tend to be pure real estate plays (you are much more likely to sell a McMansion if golf is available in summer to go along with skiing). Generally, mountain courses tend to be aesthetically beautiful and well conditioned but extremely target oriented and not all that strategic. They also end up having some absolutely terrible, crammed, claustrophobic holes to make the routing work. You also will get sick of elevated tee shots.
Banff is elite for both skiing and golf. Both Sunshine and Lake Louise are great ski hills, especially Louise. Jasper also, although I am not sure about the overall quality of the ski resort.

The SCOREGolf rankings in Canada have often had a number of ski resort golf courses that I have always thought were overrated - especially the ones at Tremblant and Whistler.

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 12:21:17 AM »
It's a solo Whitman, although I can't imagine a Whitman design without help from Keith Cutten. Not sure on Axland.

As for ski resort and golf towns, Banff and Jasper obviously standout, and Greywolf/Panorama are a good option as well, although a couple steps down from Banff/JPL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back