News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Clark

Butterfield Trail to reopen
« on: August 17, 2020, 04:23:13 PM »
The recent thread on municipal courses led me to check in and see if there were any developements on Butterfield Trail.  The El Paso course has a strong arguement as Texas' top muni.  There was a thread a few months back related to the closing of the course due to significant losses on the order of $1M per year.

Last week the El Paso city council voted unanimously to lease the facilities to Spirit Golf Management for a ten year period.  Spirit also operates Picacho Hills Country Club and Sierra Del Rio Championship Golf in New Mexico.  The agreement calls for Spirit to pay the city 10% of revenues from food, 12% from green fees, and 15% from alchohol sales.  Minimum payment to the city is $125,000 for years two and three, and $191,000 per year for the rest of the contract.

Spirit plans to open the course as soon as a liquor liscense is granted, likely in the fall.  As the course has likely sat unmaintained (at least I assume, don't know) in a pretty harsh environment during a very hot and dry summer, surely the course has suffered during that time. 

Good to hear that Butterfield Trail is getting a second lease on life.  Hope it works out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:36:42 AM by Greg Clark »

astavrides

Re: Butterfield Trail to reopen
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 09:43:07 AM »
Interesting. I enjoy that course. Please let us know if you hear any more news.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Butterfield Trail to reopen
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 11:48:44 PM »
I agree with AS. My one play in 2015 was really enjoyable. I reveled in the photography and the shot opportunities.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back