News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

10 GB&I clubs to dream about
« on: June 01, 2020, 08:42:45 AM »
I don’t get many golfing weekends away. I was supposed to be in Gullane right now playing 6 rounds, staying in the Bonnie Badger, eating and drinking in the most GLORIOUS weather... so I have to dream. Here are 10 golf clubs (course & location critical) that I would like to be a member of, to sit back, relax, enjoy the course and the vibe for a few days each a year:

Summer towns: ST. ENODOC, LAHINCH, SANDWICH, ELIE

Solitude: MACHRIHANISH, GANTON, PULBOROUGH

Tradition / Lunch: PRESTWICK, MUIRFIELD, PORTMARNOCK

What are the clubs you would choose if you could live a life of luxury and no responsibilities?

James Boon

Re: 10 GB&I clubs to dream about
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:55:27 AM »
Ally,

Plenty of dreaming this year with so little trips taking place! I've also missed out on meeting some old friends and making new ones, visiting me at Hollinwell. To your excellent list I'd add:

Summer Town: DORNOCH
Solitude: SILLOTH
Tradition/Lunch: NEW ZEALAND

But to be honest I'd play anywhere at the moment with a good group of GCAers able to have a beer or two afterwards staying in a nearby B&B, breakfast at the club the following morning before heading out for more golf!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »
I don't know which category they fall, but beyond what has been mentioned, I think the following would be very fine.

Woking
Gullane
Rye
The New GC St Andrews
Brancaster

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:37:15 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 11:01:09 AM »
I’m guessing Rye (summer town & tradition / lunch) would fit in well but I have never been there so would have to defer to those that know better....

Given that I’m going to be a member for a week a year at each of these (in my dreams), one of the overarching necessities is that the place doesn’t feel too busy / swarmed with golf tourists.

Certainly the New Course at St Andrews would be ruled out for me. I’d worry a little about Lahinch but the surfing would save me. Elie can get very busy but I’m giving a pass to second homers. It tends to have less hit ‘n’ runners.

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »
Yes Rye is a good call, though the town was pretty full of general tourists the past couple of summers when I've been there, but not golfers. It was also very hot the 2 summers I've been down there for a few days and Dornoch being slightly cooler appeals more to me!  8)
Cheers,
James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Michael Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »
Am i the only one who thinks the formal lunch and drinks at Royal St George's rivals that of Muirfield?

Michael

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
Am i the only one who thinks the formal lunch and drinks at Royal St George's rivals that of Muirfield?

Michael

I love Sandwich, but I am not sure its the sort of place I would choose for membership.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 04:13:49 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 12:13:14 PM »

Michael

I haven't been to Muirfield, but have been to RSG and it is fabulous.  Also think that Royal Birkdale and their brunch with the carvery deserves an honorable mention.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 12:32:44 PM »
Playability 365 days p/a and how busy would be key so Nov - April around the coast from Mid-Wales to Kent, maybe Norfolk, plus Irish coast would appeal. Not so much appeal in the summer though when inland GB and maybe further north would be preferred.
Atb

Michael Wolf

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 01:31:38 PM »
Thomas, I didn't know that about the Welch weather. So November wouldn't necessarily be too late to attempt my Pennard-Porthcawl-Southerdown trip that was cancelled last month? Am I correct to assume that St Enodoc and Sauton would be much more exposed to bad weather that time of year?

Apologies if i've misread your post.

Michael

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »

Thomas, I didn't know that about the Welch weather. So November wouldn't necessarily be too late to attempt my Pennard-Porthcawl-Southerdown trip that was cancelled last month? Am I correct to assume that St Enodoc and Sauton would be much more exposed to bad weather that time of year?
Michael
Michael, You shouldn't have any worries with any of the places you mention in Nov, they should be pretty quiet too and none are really much more or less exposed to bad weather than the others. Indeed SW England and S Wales aren't actually that far apart as the crow flies so if an occasional storm were to arise it'd probably hit them all at a similar time and being on sand the courses will dry very quickly. You'll need your wet weather gear but you'll need that in most places in GB&I for 60% of the year anyway!
In fact if this vile Covid situation is sorted you'll probably find me and my usual mates heading for some of the same courses you mention either along the South or West Wales coast or to Devon/Cornwall in SW England during Nov.
atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 07:58:26 PM »
Autumn: south-west England Royal North Devon, Saunton, St. Enodoc.
Spring: Surrey Sunningdale, Walton Heath
November: Dublin, Ireland Portmarnock, The European Club
Summer: Scotland Royal Dornoch
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 09:24:10 PM »
My experience is more limited than those of you have posted already, but

The restaurant/bars at Brora, North Berwick, and Lahinch are very hard to beat in combination with the courses.

The veranda at St. George’s Hill is quite special.

But the patio at Woking has no rival.

Ira

Mark Mammel

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 10:16:19 PM »
Royal Dornoch May-August
White Bear Yacht Club fall

So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Mark Mammel

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 10:22:56 PM »
Sorry- I managed to hit "enter" before I sorted out my thoughts. First- GB&I!
Live in Dornoch.
Royal Dornoch, Brora, Tain, Reay, Golspie, and for a road trip Durness or Castle Stuart. Lunch at whatever club I play, dinner at Sutherland House, Luigis, the Castle, the Eagle, Highland Spice Indian.
But I'd rather leave GB&I for the winter months...
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 03:16:18 AM »
Ally,

Just take your week(s) at Elie outside the Scottish school holidays.  September is frequently a lovely month to be in Fife, and the place is dead quiet!

Michael,

I have only ever been to RSG for lunch twice and both times on days with visitors, whereas I have had many lunches as a member's guest on a non-visitor day at HCEG and I have a clear bias towards the latter but it does seem to me that there is something less self conscious, more comfortable and relaxed, about lunch at HCEG

No-one has mentioned Brancaster?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 04:18:08 AM »
Until now Mark :)

For the white bait: Brancaster

For the early morning sunrises: Mchrihanish

For the late summer evening jaunts: North Berwick

For 36: Sunningdale

For fun: Cruden Bay & Sacred 9

For Winter: Rye

For lunch: HCEG

For quietness: Pulborough

For reinvigoration: Prestwick
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:37:53 AM by Tim Gallant »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 05:21:01 AM »
Ally,

Just take your week(s) at Elie outside the Scottish school holidays.  September is frequently a lovely month to be in Fife, and the place is dead quiet!

Michael,

I have only ever been to RSG for lunch twice and both times on days with visitors, whereas I have had many lunches as a member's guest on a non-visitor day at HCEG and I have a clear bias towards the latter but it does seem to me that there is something less self conscious, more comfortable and relaxed, about lunch at HCEG

No-one has mentioned Brancaster?

Sean mentioned Brancaster earlier on in the thread. The course is normally closed to visitors in July/August time best time to play it is in September/October

Richard Fisher

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 08:19:24 AM »
I love Tim's list! In my lockdown dreams, golfing days at Brancaster, Prestwick, Westward Ho!, Macrihanish all loom very large. Sunny spring mornings suggest a  9.30am teetime at (say) Swinley or New Zealand, with a proper lunch and another 18 to follow. Winter likewise suggests to me Rye or, moving inland, Alwoodley or The Sacred Nine. Easter suggests highly sociable and competitive foursomes at Harlech, whilst the clubhouse breakfast at Porthcawl, gazing up the first, seems best of all in September or October. A later afternoon round at Huntercombe on a sunny June day, before driving down the hill into lovely Henley for dinner, is likewise the stuff of dreams.

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 09:02:16 AM »
Pennard-heaven
Aberdovey-
Durness-better than heaven and a spectacular drive
Brora
Portsalon
Dunfanaghy-town and golf (nicely paired with the bolded and Rosapenna)
Northwest
Dingle-town and golf with occasional runs down the Ring of Kerry
Machrihanish-with regular trips to Shiskine, Carradale, Dunaverty,Mach Dunes
Ferndown and surrounds-lots of choices

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ari Techner

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 09:37:27 AM »
If thinking about a 12 month or winter GBI club an important consideration (to me atleast) is finding a place where you don't have to play off mats at all during the year.

Sam Andrews

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 09:50:31 AM »
Yes Rye is a good call, though the town was pretty full of general tourists the past couple of summers when I've been there, but not golfers. It was also very hot the 2 summers I've been down there for a few days and Dornoch being slightly cooler appeals more to me!  8)
Cheers,
James

James, it has been boiling again and the younger members are grousing about the long socks with shorts!! We've also got a significant issue with the Camber Road getting blocked up as people head to the beach, so winter or at least spring/autumn is the time to play at Rye if you are not a local. I concur on Dornoch with all the golf available around the town. Brora in the sun is heavenly and please everyone have a bit of fun at Fortrose and Rosemarkie.
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 10:16:04 AM »

"We've also got a significant issue with the Camber Road getting blocked up as people head to the beach, so winter or at least spring/autumn is the time to play at Rye if you are not a local."

How true. Location in relation to time of year is crucial.
The school holiday periods, bank holiday weekends and weekends generally usually ain't the best times to visit seaside golf courses or their locality, unless I guess you enjoy sitting in a slow moving car. And the further north you go in the winter, well ........
atb

BHoover

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »
I have played only a few courses in the UK, but I could quite happily play Woking or West Hill every round for the rest of my golfing life.

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 04:20:22 AM »

Michael
Michael, You shouldn't have any worries with any of the places you mention in Nov, they should be pretty quiet too and none are really much more or less exposed to bad weather than the others. Indeed SW England and S Wales aren't actually that far apart as the crow flies so if an occasional storm were to arise it'd probably hit them all at a similar time and being on sand the courses will dry very quickly. You'll need your wet weather gear but you'll need that in most places in GB&I for 60% of the year anyway!
In fact if this vile Covid situation is sorted you'll probably find me and my usual mates heading for some of the same courses you mention either along the South or West Wales coast or to Devon/Cornwall in SW England during Nov.
atb

Ooohh, that's a bold call. It's one thing to drive a few hours and quite another to cross an ocean. You would have to be the kind of guy that doesn't care about rain. For instance, I wouldn't plan to cross an ocean to play Bandon in November.

If this winter is anything like last winter, God help you.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back