News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #1100 on: April 23, 2021, 02:27:38 PM »
It is amazing what businesses have thrived. At the golf/ski resort where I live in Virginia golf had its best season in thirty years, mountain biking took in $150,000 more than last year, and skiing took in more than $2,000,000 more than any of the last ten years. In the last year 80 families joined the resort. It will allow us to put in a new lift and make some of the upgrades to our infrastructure. Even the restaurant, which was closed for two months, then had only take-out for four months, made money.

Houses sell in a week. People from N. Virginia want a second home whlie some are moving here full time and working from home. A friend of mine sold his house for $50,000 over his asking price.

Interesting to hear about the skiing, Tommy? In Europe, skiing was more or less closed this year and the back-end of last year after being responsible for many super-spreader events... I miss skiing more than golf.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1101 on: April 23, 2021, 03:22:14 PM »
I heard that skiing was closed in some European countries. I guess France closed them all for most of the season. Most US ski resorts went to an all online lift ticket sale. There were no walk-ups. At Vail resorts even pass holders had to make online reservations as they limited the number of folks on the mt.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JLahrman

« Reply #1102 on: April 23, 2021, 05:40:48 PM »
I still wear my mask everywhere I go. I'm 61 and my nose hair grows exponentially without notice. I honestly hope masks become a staple of polite society.

They might. I'm about to get my second vaccine shot but I'm still going to wear mine. I'm 6'6" and have been wearing my hair in a business-casual mohawk for over a year now. The mask is not hurting my looks.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1103 on: April 25, 2021, 06:03:09 PM »
I still wear my mask everywhere I go. I'm 61 and my nose hair grows exponentially without notice. I honestly hope masks become a staple of polite society.

They might. I'm about to get my second vaccine shot but I'm still going to wear mine. I'm 6'6" and have been wearing my hair in a business-casual mohawk for over a year now. The mask is not hurting my looks.

I see very few masks at the TOUR event today.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JLahrman

« Reply #1104 on: April 25, 2021, 08:12:51 PM »

I see very few masks at the TOUR event today.

He specified "polite" society.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #1105 on: April 26, 2021, 07:51:32 AM »
I can't process the numbers that golf (outdoors, walking, social, Vitamin D....) has been shutdown in Ireland, but at least the locals are back:

First golfers of 2021 coming off the 18th!! Our Captain Mr Kevin Barry and our Vice Captain Mr Michael McCarthy.......
@BallybunionGN

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #1106 on: April 26, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »
Man, look at that checkerboard green! You don’t see that too much in a links course.  :o
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1107 on: April 26, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »
Looked just the same at the same time of year when I was there a couple of years ago. Is it still a true links? Not convinced? Their ‘other’ course was at the time much more a reflection of a ‘proper’ links.
Atb

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #1108 on: April 26, 2021, 01:45:25 PM »
Does Ballybunion no longer have fescue greens? I didn’t think that kind of striping would show on fescue... but, honestly, never gave it much though as I don’t recall that look on any links I’ve ever played, even the Trump courses and he’s a stickler for “looks.” 😉
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1109 on: April 26, 2021, 03:19:40 PM »
Mike, all the greens on the Old course were relayed about 3 years ago when various other stuff was also done like irrigated pathways. There’s been talk of the Cashens greens being redone too although I don’t know if this has actually happened.
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1110 on: April 26, 2021, 03:44:24 PM »
How good is it to play a course like Ballybunion everyday!?! Too late to move to Ireland?
St. John of the Cross

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #1111 on: April 26, 2021, 04:48:42 PM »
Mike, all the greens on the Old course were relayed about 3 years ago when various other stuff was also done like irrigated pathways. There’s been talk of the Cashens greens being redone too although I don’t know if this has actually happened.
Atb
Relayed with what?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #1112 on: April 26, 2021, 04:49:23 PM »
How good is it to play a course like Ballybunion everyday!?! Too late to move to Ireland?
Would be a beautiful thing, Tommy!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1113 on: May 02, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »
Anyone been to Hawaii lately? Do they still require quarantine?
St. John of the Cross

David_Tepper

« Reply #1114 on: May 02, 2021, 12:30:10 PM »
"Anyone been to Hawaii lately? Do they still require quarantine?"

https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/covid-19-updates/

"Despite the CDC’s announcement, Hawaii’s mandatory 10-day quarantine remains in place even for fully vaccinated passengers. Although Hawaii’s policy may change in the near future, it remains in place today."

Daryl David

« Reply #1115 on: May 02, 2021, 03:33:34 PM »
The 10 day quarantine is waived for travelers that test negative within 72 hours of departure or have proof of having had Covid within last 6 months. Two of the islands (Maui and the Big Island) require a second test upon arrival. If that test is positive you either go into quarantine or leave the island. Vaccination will likely be another waiver for quarantine in the next 60 days or so.

Tommy Williamsen

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 12:16:07 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #1117 on: June 16, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »
Fifteen months since OP.
Played today. I saw no one remove a flagstick. No rakes to be seen. No stagnant water coolers.

Kinda ashamed I expected these things just two years ago.

Tim Martin

« Reply #1118 on: June 16, 2021, 06:07:17 PM »
Fifteen months since OP.
Played today. I saw no one remove a flagstick. No rakes to be seen. No stagnant water coolers.

Kinda ashamed I expected these things just two years ago.

I can live without water coolers and rakes and am used to playing with the flagstick in. That said a couple of well placed trash receptacles go a long way. I also miss tee benches that were whisked away during COVID and have yet to return.

David_Tepper

« Reply #1119 on: June 16, 2021, 07:19:37 PM »
I want ball washers back ASAP! ;)

Daryl David

« Reply #1120 on: June 16, 2021, 07:43:13 PM »
I see no differences between now and 2019 at my clubs (other than waiting lists to join and jammed courses). Rakes, ball, washers, pins. All normal. No masks in clubhouse if vaccinated. No social distancing. Of course I live in two very vaccinated states. That’s the key. Get the God Damn jab.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #1121 on: June 17, 2021, 06:06:25 PM »
towels have returned to the locker rooms and golf carts. Seed bottles have reappeared, as well as some water jugs.  After 15 months of spreadsheets I paid out $13 to clear my betting book with the group, then won some of it back. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1122 on: June 21, 2021, 04:51:49 PM »
Don’t know whether it’s genuine or not but I recently heard a comment that elite amateur players in Eng, Scotland and Wales had been permitted to continue practicing and playing during the Covid lockdown periods, ie when all other golfers in E/S/W couldn’t play or practice at all. The reason being because they were in elite squads.
Came as a surprise and could just be scuttlebutt or mischief making etc.
Anyone heard something similar or able to throw any light on the matter?
Atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1124 on: June 22, 2021, 03:30:07 AM »
Just asking Brian. Ever curious!
The story you've highlighted has been referred too before.
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back