News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #875 on: May 02, 2020, 12:44:50 PM »
Seems that golf with restrictions will be re-opening on 18th May in the Republic of Ireland.
As to play re-opening in ‘the North’, there’s a paragraph, a hint maybe, within the GUI announcement which folks can interpret as they wish.
See - https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4659/golf-welcomes-government-announcement-on-the-reopening-of-golf-courses

Atb

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #876 on: May 02, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »
Reasons to believe golfers won’t obey covid-19 restrictions: or, examples of rules they already don’t follow.

90 deg rule
Repair pitch marks
Rake traps
Outside food and drink
Replace divots
Pick up used tees
Play quickly
Show up on time at the first tee
Tuck in shirt
Count a ball that hit the stick and went in the water as a hole in one. (Jordan Spieth)
Put on shoes in the parking lot (mandatory now)

Tim Martin

« Reply #877 on: May 02, 2020, 03:51:07 PM »

Count a ball that hit the stick and went in the water as a hole in one. (Jordan Spieth)
It’s like claiming one on a temporary green when the hole is bigger than a $20 pizza.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #878 on: May 02, 2020, 03:56:17 PM »
Or on a par 3 course. I do hope all par 3 courses remain closed.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #879 on: May 02, 2020, 05:21:16 PM »
Seems that golf with restrictions will be re-opening on 18th May in the Republic of Ireland.
As to play re-opening in ‘the North’, there’s a paragraph, a hint maybe, within the GUI announcement which folks can interpret as they wish.
See - https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4659/golf-welcomes-government-announcement-on-the-reopening-of-golf-courses

Atb

Got a text from a golfer in NI today.  He was frustrated that his club had sent out an email saying courses in the North would wait for Westminster to set the timeline.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #880 on: May 04, 2020, 04:34:03 AM »
So in two weeks time, in the Republic of Ireland you can play golf at your club...but only if you live within 5km.
Or as the article points out within a 5km drive.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/self-policing-looks-like-the-only-way-for-golf-clubs-to-abide-by-5km-ruling-1.4244114
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #881 on: May 04, 2020, 09:03:50 AM »
Golf courses on the Isle of Man re-opened for play today.
Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #882 on: May 04, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
Seems to punish the very places that are probably the safest.
The areas that are quite naturally social distanced!

but then as an American, it's certainly not our place to criticiize anyone else's policies, given the absolute debacle/delay of a response here, and the frightening science experiment we're about to undertake ...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:28:51 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #883 on: May 04, 2020, 09:19:59 AM »
Courses on Guernsey have reopened today while those on Jersey, which were open but then closed for a while, will reopen on Wed.
Portugal has apparently reopened its course today and they’re due to reopen in France on the 11th.
Atb

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #884 on: May 05, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »
Bandon Dunes resort reopens for golf on May 11th.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 02:55:22 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #885 on: May 05, 2020, 01:52:46 PM »

My SW FL winter golf club has been slowly reopening services to the members, including carts, one person at a time in the pro shop, and food pick up.  Today they announced that one staff has flu-like symptoms and has been tested for COVID with results in 2 to 5 days.  The staff is not named but was described as not customer facing.  Nevertheless, they are shutting down the food pick up service and have quarantined other staff who may have come in contact with the person.  Seems like this could be a fairly common event as the opening up of businesses goes ahead before some substantial decline in the infection rate.  Round and round it goes.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #886 on: May 05, 2020, 07:28:57 PM »
Just for a little chuckler: GC Reit im Winkl has 12 holes in Germany and six holes plus clubhouse across the border in Austria. Since Austria has opened golf courses and Germany hasn't, the club has decided to open the Austrian holes. Which means that visitors from Austria can play holes 1-5 and then run into the German border, where they have to turn around and play 18 back to the clubhouse. Whereas the members from Germany cannot play at all, because the border is closed.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Daryl David

« Reply #887 on: May 05, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »
Just for a little chuckler: GC Reit im Winkl has 12 holes in Germany and six holes plus clubhouse across the border in Austria. Since Austria has opened golf courses and Germany hasn't, the club has decided to open the Austrian holes. Which means that visitors from Austria can play holes 1-5 and then run into the German border, where they have to turn around and play 18 back to the clubhouse. Whereas the members from Germany cannot play at all, because the border is closed.

Wow, and I thought the 5km Irish rule was a chuckler.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #888 on: May 05, 2020, 09:52:31 PM »
My course is getting a little more open tomorrow (May 6).  Carts with one person allowed, proshop open but number of people inside limited.  Practice tee open.  Of course, you're still supposed to maintain appropriate physical distance--good luck with that.  Really dumb.  I've gotten use to trecking around by myself carrying a 22 degree hybrid, 6 iron, 52 degree wedge and putter.  I can make it easily in 2.5 hours, even having to wait and then go through a group here or there.  A lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be.  End of rant.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #889 on: May 06, 2020, 04:02:59 AM »
Chuckle indeed. Some did foresee this kind of situation arising.
Atb

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #890 on: May 06, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »
So in two weeks time, in the Republic of Ireland you can play golf at your club...but only if you live within 5km.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/self-policing-looks-like-the-only-way-for-golf-clubs-to-abide-by-5km-ruling-1.4244114

But that seems to apply only to residents of the Republic, not to UK residents of border courses:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/philip-reid-border-anomaly-means-northern-golfers-can-play-courses-in-republic-1.4245815

Peter Flory

« Reply #891 on: May 06, 2020, 08:25:54 PM »

What a strange and irrelevant metric to use for a restriction. 

archie_struthers

« Reply #892 on: May 06, 2020, 08:50:34 PM »
 ::) ::)

...really stupid rule... hopefully they will revisit soon

Tim Martin

« Reply #893 on: May 08, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »
There’s a fair amount of reporting that all fifty states will have courses open by May 11th.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #894 on: May 09, 2020, 03:57:57 AM »
Folks may, or may not, wish to have a look at this protocol published by the Golf Union of Ireland regarding the reopening of golf courses in the Republic (not the North) of Ireland -
See - https://www.golfnet.ie/Documents/Protocol%20for%20Republic%20of%20Ireland.pdf
Queries to the GUI not me!
Atb

Ari Techner

« Reply #895 on: May 09, 2020, 07:47:40 AM »
After the 18th when you can play golf in Ireland again will the UK be the only country(s) in the world w a strong golf tradition that has not yet allowed golf to come back?

MKrohn

« Reply #896 on: May 09, 2020, 08:14:29 AM »
After the 18th when you can play golf in Ireland again will the UK be the only country(s) in the world w a strong golf tradition that has not yet allowed golf to come back?

Whilst not technically a country, the state of Victoria, home to Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath has banned golf.

6.5 million population...….1500 cases.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #897 on: May 09, 2020, 09:11:09 AM »
To those pointing out the ‘stupid’ rule in Ireland, it isn’t golf driving this. Restrictions for all travel have been 2km.  This has just changed to 5km and will change to 20km on June 8th.

I happen to think this was a sensible way to control the lockdown (I have got to know my neighbourhood very well). Unfortunately I won’t get back to Portmarnock until June (phase 2) but the government’s 5 stage plan to reopening the country is the most sensible I’ve seen anywhere. It leaves no doubt what phase we are in at any given time. Talking about what phase of restrictions we are living under will become the new normal for the next couple of years so clarity is key.

jeffwarne

« Reply #898 on: May 09, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »
To those pointing out the ‘stupid’ rule in Ireland, it isn’t golf driving this. Restrictions for all travel have been 2km.  This has just changed to 5km and will change to 20km on June 8th.

I happen to think this was a sensible way to control the lockdown (I have got to know my neighbourhood very well). Unfortunately I won’t get back to Portmarnock until June (phase 2) but the government’s 5 stage plan to reopening the country is the most sensible I’ve seen anywhere. It leaves no doubt what phase we are in at any given time. Talking about what phase of restrictions we are living under will become the new normal for the next couple of years so clarity is key.

Far be it from an American whose policies are wildly inconsistent and clearly unsuccessful(late), but doesn't limiting one's travel to 2km (now 5km) really force those in urban environments to exercise in potentially crowded/dangerous conditions?

I mean if someone is allowed to drive 5 km, they've likely already risked the car park,..I find it hard to believe the risk or driving a few more k to a more rural/less urban area would on balance not be safer. I guess the risk is an accident or the need for more fuel, vs the risk of attempting to get vitamin D and exercise in a crowded urban/suburban area.
I feel very fortunate to be in a rural area with tremendous access to deserted trails, and would wish the same for others-especially during a prolonged lockdown. I am truly amazed that the low utilization of the many  hundreds of miles of trails near me.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Paul Dolton

« Reply #899 on: May 10, 2020, 05:35:15 AM »
I agree Jeff.
All that will do is increase traffic to the parts of the country that are already the busiest.
Those golf courses will be fully booked while others remain quiet and unable to offer a safe place to exercise and get some fresh air.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back