News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2020, 11:34:18 AM »
I just spent a month ski in Summit County, and Eagle County, CO.  My daughter, who works for the U of MI, visited us for a week. When she returned home she received an email from the U asking that anyone who spent time in Summit and Eagle Counties please self quarantine for two weeks. There were a number of cases in those two counties.

I have decided, not to act as though I might get the virus, but to act as though I might be a carrier. That means good hygiene,  keeping my distance from folks, and only going out when necessary. I view the world through rose-colored glasses and generally do not worry about much. Yet when we flew back from CO I worried. If I am affected how might I keep other travelers safe? What can I do to limit their exposure to me? I couldn't find any masks in stores to wear. My clubs are open and I will just walk and limit play. I think if we all act as though we do not want to infect someone else we can lessen the impact of this dreadful disease.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2020, 12:34:48 PM »
Tommy,

Are you saying that if you tested positive you would continue to play golf with proper social distancing of course.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »
Tommy,

Are you saying that if you tested positive you would continue to play golf with proper social distancing of course.

I'll just be playing golf alone or with my wife. I might play with certain friends, however.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Hendren

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2020, 12:52:00 PM »
Debatable whether business interruption insurance will be helpful.  It generally requires physical damage to premises that renders the housed business inoperable.  I've edited and softened my take given a very informative instant message from a real pro on this site. 

I'm astonished at the extent to which opinions on the virus are informed or dominated by one's political view.   Americans have lost all intellectual curiosity and ability to think for themselves.   One of my favorite quotes is from Richard Rohr:  "Daily life now  requires prayer and discernment more than knee-jerk responses toward either the conservative or liberal end of the spectrum."  If you're not a praying person, at least be a discerning one. 

You don't want to know my opinion on the virus of the economy and I don't feel compelled to give it.   

Brighten your corner, somehow.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 01:25:25 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2020, 12:53:06 PM »
The problem is that if you don't have any symptoms right now, you don't know if
a) you're healthy
b) you're a virus carrier with a load large enough to infect 1000s of people
c) you already went through the infection without noticing and are non-contagious now

Most people naturally assume option a) and act accordingly, but there is preliminary evidence that 90% of the entire misery is caused by b) people.

Maybe some very healthy people have an immune system that repels the virus easily and it just doesn't get into the deeper parts of their respiratory system. With most of the virus load then struggling near the surface and not making progress, it is easy to see how it could be sneezed or breathed out in spades. Whereas those with symptoms could actually be less contagious.

This is all speculation, of course. But it is certainly scientifically proven that you can be contagious without showing symptoms.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2020, 01:02:07 PM »
edit: I edited my comment because even I am surprised Kalen went there.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 01:07:14 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2020, 01:02:08 PM »
Mike,

Surely you jest.  The endless parade of charlatan preachers and otherwise trying to "pray it away" and heal people thru the telly are quite frankly some of the worst offenders right now. 

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Thomas Dai

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2020, 01:34:13 PM »
Tuesday 3rd Nov 2020 and related event dates leading up to it?
atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2020, 01:57:33 PM »
Mike,

Surely you jest.  The endless parade of charlatan preachers and otherwise trying to "pray it away" and heal people thru the telly are quite frankly some of the worst offenders right now.

For those who do pray, it is not always easy to know what to pray for. My prayer is that each of us does what is best to keep others from harm.
St. John of the Cross

Tim Martin

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2020, 02:13:19 PM »
Mike,

For those who do pray, it is not always easy to know what to pray for. My prayer is that each of us does what is best to keep others from harm.

Even as a lapsed catholic I’m not averse to a well timed Hail Mary in the hope of a good lie.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2020, 04:57:48 PM »
Cavendish has closed the clubhouse and suspended all club competitions for the foreseeable future. The course remains open for casual play.

It took approximately 15 minutes for a WhatsApp group to be formed to organise an “unofficial”  competition each Saturday. The group has over 100 members already!

JMEvensky

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »
Cavendish has closed the clubhouse and suspended all club competitions for the foreseeable future. The course remains open for casual play.

It took approximately 15 minutes for a WhatsApp group to be formed to organise an “unofficial”  competition each Saturday. The group has over 100 members already!

Maybe a silver lining will be Boards realizing the golf course,and the golfers, are the most important club amenities. Unfortunately I'd probably bet the under.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »
I'd bet that this "unofficial" tournament is not going happen ever. What's more, the direct consequence will be that the course closes for everyone. It's because of brain-dead idiots like those that everything has to close, even if it could stay open for responsible use.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:32:50 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2020, 06:39:57 PM »
It seems that Oregon golf courses are still open, but restaurant facilities are closed (except for take-out) by Governor decree.  The population density (recently mentioned) of 85% of Oregon doesn't seem to necessitate isolate in place. I would look to Bandon Resort to be the first one to close, and am guessing that the less than buddy experience and air travel to be the determinants

Today I went to tee it up with the rest of my foursome and they had another person join up. He gave about eight deep hoarse coughs before they teed off.  I declined to join them, and won't for the remainder of the month. If he was a carrier, then a small private high school is severely compromised.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2020, 05:21:13 AM »
I'd bet that this "unofficial" tournament is not going happen ever. What's more, the direct consequence will be that the course closes for everyone. It's because of brain-dead idiots like those that everything has to close, even if it could stay open for responsible use.

Ulrich

I beg to differ.

It has all been thought through. Indeed, the organiser is our local family doctor who is well versed in public health.

Players will mark their own cards on trust and submit them via a photo on WhatsApp.

Flagsticks will not be removed at all and all bunker rakes are safely tucked away in the greens shed.

No handshakes or any other direct interaction.

Tee times and groups can be booked through the normal computer system so there will be no big group all turning up at the same time.

It all seems perfectly responsible to me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:23:06 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2020, 07:31:16 AM »
Business interuption insurance is likely to be invalid for most. In the UK.

The insurance industry will be bankrupt if they pay out on even 5% of cases.

There is some key wording that needs to not be included if your policy means you can claim.

Covid 19 was unknown at the time most policies were taken out, so most are DSQ.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2020, 08:21:43 AM »

There is some key wording that needs to not be included if your policy means you can claim.

Covid 19 was unknown at the time most policies were taken out, so most are DSQ.

I keep talking with people whose package holidays are being cancelled - many of them golf trips to Turkey or Portugal. They seem confident that they are covered by the ATOL bond scheme.

What if there’s not enough money in the scheme though? It is set up to cover the occasional company going bust - not the entire industry closing down for 6 months.

I expect a lot of disappointment and anger...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »
I have a 7 bedroom house reserved for Easter that I most likely will eat. The cost of the house is much less than I would have spent feeding everyone who would have been inside. This is hardly the time to get angry about such trivial matters.

On another note the wokes over at the Refuge are advocating playing private courses that are closed. They believe that putting some money under the door, after they play of course, will make it all better. I would suggest that each course post on their door the average cost per round for each member including initiation fees. Good for the pro that comes in to check his emails and finds $500 on the floor.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2020, 09:27:48 AM »
1/ One course modification that seems to be going viral among US clubs open for play is raising the cup an inch above the surface and deeming a putt holed when it hits the cup.  Saves hands from reaching in the cup.
2/ Don't believe everything you read on the internet about lack of business interruption insurance.  Whether there will be coverage is case by case depending on wording, may otherwise be subject to legislation, and very much remains to be seen.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2020, 09:57:27 AM »
Covid 19 was unknown by the time most policies were taken out, so most are DSQ.
Thanks Adrian.
Insurance payouts and blood out of stones can be inclined to have something in common, assuming as you intimate, that the insurance business has sufficient cash to give payouts. Time delays are a factor too.
And then there's the bigger society (ie not just golf business) question of where does the money come from when Govt's feel obliged (ie pressurised) to provide subsidies, compensation, bailouts etc etc? Magic money tree time?
atb

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:03:01 AM by Thomas Dai »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2020, 03:31:09 PM »

Club raised the cups today and members told no need to post scores...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2020, 04:38:47 PM »
I received this from the GM today. It seems similar to what most clubs are doing.

The pro shop will continue to be staffed from 9:00 a.m. – dusk. Please limit the number of people in the shop at one time to 5. Sanitized golf carts will be provided. Golf carts will be sanitized with bleach-based products.
[/size]In addition to these changes, all events prior to April 15 will be canceled in accordance with CDC recommendations. More schedule-based information will be passed along as it becomes available.
[/size]PLAYER NOTES
[/size]Again, golf is considered a safe way for you to get out of the house as long as we take the necessary precautions. Note that the Driving Range is closed until further notice. Please find and abide by these player notes on the golf course. The following precautions are in the best interest of players and staff:
(1) Pack hand sanitizer and use it liberally
(2) Players should maintain a 6-foot separation at all times (social distancing)
(3) We will allow 1 golfer per cart, while walking will continue to remain the safest practice at this time
(4) On the green, leave the pin in at all times
(5) Refrain from picking up random golf balls, tees, etc
(6) Ball washers and water coolers have been removed
(7) Bunker rakes have been removed; staff will be tasked with raking bunkers on a regular basis
(8) All bunkers are considered “ground under repair”. Please follow USGA procedures
(9) Pre and post-round handshakes or fist bumps should be avoided as we practice social distancing
(10) Bathrooms on the golf course, Pro Shop, and Main Lodge are open
(11) Lastly, and most importantly, if you are sick PLEASE STAY HOME. We are doing everything in our power to create a safe environment for our golfers and we ask for your help maintaining this environment.
St. John of the Cross

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
St Andrews released all their seasonal greenkeepers today.
Cave Nil Vino

Thomas Dai

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »
Removing rakes seems eminently sensible but categorising all bunkers as GUR seems decidedly wet and wimpish .. some of us will no doubt recall the days of no rakes at all and the smoothing out of sand splash marks and footprints by using the back of the clubhead or the sideways sliding of a foot. Or am I missing something?
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back