News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Dolton

Gullane 1 or 2 ?
« on: January 15, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
I'm looking to play at Gullane at the start of March.
Haven't played there before and have time for one round.
Number 1 has tee time available but not suiting our travel plans . It wouldn't be too much of a problem just a little inconvenient.
Number 2 has tee times that are favourable to us.
Any thoughts?

Jon Wiggett

Re: Gullane 1 or 2 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »

Paul,

there have been many threads asking this question in the past but what it boils down to is what are you after. No1 is a good, solid test of golf for a lower handicapper but will probably not appeal as much to a mid-teen handicap and upwards. No 2 is less challenging but has more quirk and along with No 3 is generally preferred by most on this board.

In the end which ever you choose as long as you select the correct tees you should enjoy it.

Paul Dolton

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:47:33 PM »
We are both category one golfers but enjoy something quirky as well.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:54:56 PM »
You won't be disappointed playing no 2.

Michael Graham

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 03:56:25 PM »
Paul,

1 is comfortably the better course but 2 will still give you a good feel for the courses and has a number of really good holes. It’s similar to the New in St Andrews, forever destined to be overshadowed by its more famous sibling. If it’s a quite a bit more complicated to play 1 then don’t sweat the decision to play 2 instead. If, however, it’s not too much bother to change your plans then 1 is the way to go.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 04:47:21 PM »
Echoing Michael's post, I'd opt for #1. The 2 course is great, and a wonderful game, but 1 has some genuinely fantastic golf holes (always loved 2, 5, 11, 12, 13 15 and 16).

If its quirk you're looking for, I'd likely go for Kilspindie before I played Gullane 2.

David Jones

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 05:52:09 PM »
Echoing Michael's post, I'd opt for #1. The 2 course is great, and a wonderful game, but 1 has some genuinely fantastic golf holes (always loved 2, 5, 11, 12, 13 15 and 16).

If its quirk you're looking for, I'd likely go for Kilspindie before I played Gullane 2.

Michael and Tim have got it covered. If it’s a relatively easy change that doesn’t cause too much upheaval then go for number 1. 2 would still give you a good feel for the place as it’s over very similar ground.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 07:13:42 PM »
Gullane 1 and 2 are both fun, but if I was in that area I’d skip Gullane entirely and play North Berwick.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 06:36:14 AM »
Bearing in mind No3 is about to go under the knife and you say you enjoy quirk. Now's your chance....
Let's make GCA grate again!

Paul Dolton

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »
Thank you all for the replies.
I'll pass on the information to the person I'm playing with and then make the decision.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 04:06:17 PM »
#1 is fantastic value for money. A fun course for sure. It also gives you a great idea of all of the golf in the region. I forgot how many courses you can see from the top, but there are many.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 03:16:48 AM »
#1 is fantastic value for money. A fun course for sure. It also gives you a great idea of all of the golf in the region. I forgot how many courses you can see from the top, but there are many.
Which demonstrates how different, perfectly valid points of view can be.  I think No 1 is both over-rated (it's good but nowhere near as good as some posters say) and over-priced.  For me, N0 2 offers far better VFM, though isn't, objectively, as "good" a course as No 1.  Playing No 1 gets you in the proper clubhouse, though, which is worth considering.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 03:29:33 AM »
#1 is fantastic value for money.
Err. no it doesn't but it is a good course.

David Jones

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 04:58:55 AM »
Err. no it doesn't but it is a good course.

The inflation in Scottish golf courses has been really marked over recent years. Gullane number 1 is £195 at the weekend in the summer now and £170 in the week. Off season it drops to £75. Half a dozen years ago the green fee would have been much closer to £100.

While the Scottish Open exposure is part of it, Gullane isn’t alone in the increases of late. I think the weak pound is a factor and they are really playing to the overseas visitor market. Some clubs are reaching the maximum visitor play they want to have so are just jacking up the prices.

Not much help though for us locals, I’m putting together a trip to the north of Scotland for May and some of the green fees are fairly eye-watering, although a few do cut them for Scottish residents and twilight deals and multi-course discounts are sometimes there with a bit of digging.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »

Quote of the year and it’s only the 3rd week in January. IMHO it’s probably the most over priced course in Scotland, I’d play Number 2 and take my partner for a Michelin starred dinner with the difference in the green fees.
Cave Nil Vino

MClutterbuck

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 12:23:27 PM »

Quote of the year and it’s only the 3rd week in January. IMHO it’s probably the most over priced course in Scotland, I’d play Number 2 and take my partner for a Michelin starred dinner with the difference in the green fees.

Mark, I went back to my 2017 records and we paid 120 pounds. I thought it had been somewhat less. I would agree that at 195 pounds the value proposition is not as good as i stated. Of course, other courses in the area must be more expensive too.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 04:47:18 PM »

Mark, I went back to my 2017 records and we paid 120 pounds. I thought it had been somewhat less. I would agree that at 195 pounds the value proposition is not as good as i stated. Of course, other courses in the area must be more expensive too.

MC

East Lothian is a high rent district.  That is why Gullane 2-3, Kilspindie and Dunbar seem like such good deals. Mind you, Dunbar has become quite expensive in recent years. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back