News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Mickle

Re: Most Fun Not Top 100
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 07:07:35 AM »
Par 3:
The Cradle
The Preserve
The Sand Box
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jeff Schley

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 07:36:39 AM »
Desert Forest - Commendable layout that is understated and I think one of the oldest desert courses.
PGA West - Stadium - I just love the difficulty and challenge of it. 
Hamilton Farm - Not saying that it should be a top 100, but enjoyed the setting and property, not the least of which is their par 3 course.   
Plainfield CC - great greens and my second favorite Ross course behind Pinehurst.  Kapalua Plantation - Majestic property with views that are captivating. Yes it is a cart course, however being in Maui playing here in the breeze reminds you this isn't home but a vacation.
BTW what is the FAQ for making sure you don't have to edit every post?  I am still clueless and try various methods.

Jeff-You mentioned the setting and property but nothing about the golf course for Hamilton Farms. The property is extreme and although I walked I don’t think I would want to do it on a regular basis. For my money too many holes playing straight uphill with the same bunker schemes both in the fairway and flanking the greens. To each his own but it wouldn’t be a course I would pick for this exercise.
As the topic is most fun, I did have a good time with dad/brother/host last year and you are correct that the course isn't a walking course (we rode) however it was a fun experience.  It was a charity auction round and our host was recently retired from Goldman Sachs. A real gentlemen, who couldn't escape to play much golf as he has a homebound non-verbal son he and his wife take care of and was one of his motivations for retiring early. I had a ton of respect for this guy who is a no doubt well off man, but extremely humble. So out of the gate we loved our host, which as most on here will attest adds or detracts from your fun a great deal.

There are three holes which were memorable the 6th or 7th had the farm house hole back left off the green with a huge green to a long par 4. I remember I walked that entire hole looking for my ball left and met the group at the green. It was hot this July day and I was sweating pretty good after this detour.  As we went off the green I asked if there was a drinking fountain in the converted stable which were bathrooms.  The host said there is a cooler of all sorts of drinks right outside, which a cold Gatorade was welcome at that point a perfect time, so that stuck.

The 9th is a long downhill par 5 with a heavily guarded green with slope. Then the view from 17 (par 3) in line with the tee/green for 18 was the most memorable for sight lines. Again as we weren't walking, which at least half the holes are either up or down, we had some wind left in our sails. As you mention Tim, the bunkering from Hurdzan/Fry guarded their greens with bunkers in the front half of most greens on the left and right sides and a fair criticism. My criticism of that is you can't run the ball into those greens at all and our fore caddie I think we exactly correct in saying long is pretty good spot to miss in general as there aren't any bunkers long.  Mostly there is banking to corral the ball so from a strategy perspective that is what we kept in mind.

I want to add the par 3 Hickory course was at least 1/3 to 1/2 the fun that day.  It is the only (I believe) USGA rated par 3 course in the US.  Routing through a new neighborhood it was heavily bunkered as you could expect and mostly short irons/wedges from our white tee box. If we had to play again I would want to do it from the back tees (blue) as there were 4-5 over 200 yarders.

Add to this experience you can't park your own car (a bit pretentious perhaps), they valet every car and bring it back upon departure. There is no tipping (except caddies), the clubhouse/locker room is pretty over the top and recently redone, while the food for lunch was one of our top 10 meals for a lunch at a golf course.  I had a crab roll sandwich on a croissant (IIRC) and was so very light the waiter unprompted brought me another 1/2 of another while I went to the bathroom. They have staff off the 9th green with water/towels as well as someone to take your order where they will bring it out to you on the course or you can relax as they prepare it.

Actually now that I'm reliving this day, which was much more than just 18 holes of golf, it further solidifies my opinion of it being a fun experience when taken in totality and rightly placed. Take a look at the charity auction sites for HF and hope you get the same host we did as perhaps it will be a more enjoyable experience for you.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »
Jeff-Thanks for the reply. An awful lot of info that has nothing to do with the golf which is fine if that’s how you gauge it. As far as the charity auction route to gain entrance that’s nothing I am interested in nor did I require to play the golf course.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2019, 08:10:23 AM »
Jeff-Thanks for the reply. An awful lot of info that has nothing to do with the golf which is fine if that’s how you gauge it. As far as the charity auction route to gain entrance that’s nothing I am interested in.
Tim look at the title.......I replied to that title.  Change the title and I would gauge it appropriately to my view.  Overbunkered? Yes particularly around front part of the greens.  Unwalkable? not really but a tough walk. Those can be discussed certainly, but when the thread is most fun....... I'm sorry, but I have to put down Hamilton Farm for the reasons stated, although a bigger sandbox of reasons then you have chosen.
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »
Jeff-Thanks for the reply. An awful lot of info that has nothing to do with the golf which is fine if that’s how you gauge it. As far as the charity auction route to gain entrance that’s nothing I am interested in.
Tim look at the title.......I replied to that title.  Change the title and I would gauge it appropriately to my view.  Overbunkered? Yes particularly around front part of the greens.  Unwalkable? not really but a tough walk. Those can be discussed certainly, but when the thread is most fun....... I'm sorry, but I have to put down Hamilton Farm for the reasons stated, although a bigger sandbox of reasons then you have chosen.

Jeff-Most fun to me means the most fun golf course to play. Not the hosts background, the crab sandwich, the beverage selection at the turn, valet parking service, on course cold towels and waiter service.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »

Jeff-Most fun to me means the most fun golf course to play. Not the hosts background, the crab sandwich, the beverage selection at the turn, valet parking service, on course cold towels and waiter service.
Fabulous reason, I would never want to encroach on another man having fun on the golf course.
- Steve Prefontaine

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »
"Not in the top 100" leaves such a huge pool to choose from

I've really enjoyed my days at Rosses Point, Baltray in IRE, New Zealand and Woking in ENG, Dunbar and Western Gailes in Scotland, Kingsley and Stonewall Old in the US. Glad to see Brora mentioned. I am excited to play there for the first time next year along with Moray, Fraserburgh and others which I expect all to be a lot of fun.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »

The Machrie, at least its iteration in 2003.

I would disagree with GB on Old MacDonald and Chambers Bay except for 3 and 5 on OM and 12 at CB. Never could find a proper tee option. A long series of driver/3 wood holes with little respite. But they might be fun for Garland.

Sean_A

Re: Most Fun Not Top 100 New
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2019, 02:48:23 PM »
Courses I literally found myself laughing at what I saw

Castlerock Bann
Alnmouth Village
Welshpool
Pennard
Corballis Links
Painswick
Tobacco Road
Bude & North Cornwall
Yelverton
Anstruther

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:12:20 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tim Martin

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2019, 04:00:59 PM »
Courses I literally found myself at what I saw

Castlerock Bann
Alnmouth Village
Welshpool
Pennard
Corballis Links
Painswick
Tobacco Road
Bude & North Cornwall
Yelverton
Anstruther

Happy Hockey

No LuLu???? I could easily have a list with LuLu on it. :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 01:33:17 AM »

The Machrie, at least its iteration in 2003.

I would disagree with GB on Old MacDonald and Chambers Bay except for 3 and 5 on OM and 12 at CB. Never could find a proper tee option. A long series of driver/3 wood holes with little respite. But they might be fun for Garland.

I played CB with Anthony Gray. The tees chosen made it a driver wedge par fest for a high handicapper. I played CB in the Open preview event. Par 4s were still approached with a wedge, but on the third shot, not the second.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

Re: Most Fun Not Top 100 New
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2019, 05:25:06 AM »
Courses I literally found myself at what I saw

Castlerock Bann
Alnmouth Village
Welshpool
Pennard
Corballis Links
Painswick
Tobacco Road
Bude & North Cornwall
Yelverton
Anstruther

Happy Hockey

No LuLu? ??? I could easily have a list with LuLu on it. :)

Tim

I guess the volcano hole at LuLu made me laugh when I saw it.  I don't know what it looks like now, but a tempering element of that hole was how rugged it looked.  I see many volcano holes which are cool, but a bit too prissy in the presentation.

I forgot to add Perranporth to my list.  Jeepers, the first time around that course was crazy. I couldn't believe the oddball holes just kept coming!

Happy Hockey.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:11:38 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 10:58:57 AM »
Claremont CC
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bernie Bell

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2019, 11:12:27 AM »
Portstewart
Castlerock
Ardglass

Cory Lewis

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2019, 11:53:32 AM »
The Meadow Club, almost 1700 courses in and it's still one of the most fun courses I've ever played.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

V_Halyard

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2019, 06:36:56 PM »
Brora
Sandbox - ("Call Your green")
Enniscrone
Bluemound
Claremont
Pacific Grove - (Back 9 at Twilight)
Lake Chabot - (Twilight with locals sharing their beer... wait, do you think the beer exerted undue influence?)
Penmar By The Sea (Got sent out as a single to join a bachelorette party foursome of ex-collegiate golfers at twilight.. If this bothers you architecturally, look away because it is a true story, it is my recollection of golf's potential, and I really don't care. They had a very moving ceremony where "Han Solo" (Harrison Ford) crash landed his plane by the 8th tee box)
Meadowbrook - Its Willie “Amusement” Park
Brora (Yes, again)
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2019, 01:55:58 AM »
Rustic Canyon
Barona Creek
Sandpiper

I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2019, 11:14:26 AM »
Trinity Forest

Eric Smith

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2019, 11:32:04 AM »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2019, 11:43:27 AM »

Penmar By The Sea (Got sent out as a single to join a bachelorette party foursome of ex-collegiate golfers at twilight.. If this bothers you architecturally, look away because it is a true story, it is my recollection of golf's potential, and I really don't care. They had a very moving ceremony where "Han Solo" (Harrison Ford) crash landed his plane by the 8th tee box)

This sounds like a TEPaul story from back in the day, only the bachelorettes would all be heiresses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back