News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wolf

Anyone played the Jockey Club recently?
« on: November 19, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
I was asked by someone through social media if I know anything about current status of the Jockey Club (I don't).

He's going to be traveling to Argentina with family, and is investigating playing the Jockey Club through a local operator for a $450 guest fee. Obviously everyone's finances and desires are different.

But his basic question - is the golf course well maintained and authentic enough to warrant the effort? I see in the Confidential Guide it was last visited visited by Doak and Co in 2015, and averaged a 6.

Anyone with anything else to advise that I could pass along?

Thanks,

Michael

Tom_Doak

Re: Anyone played the Jockey Club recently?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »
These sorts of value propositions are hard to answer, because it depends on the individual.  $450 is over the moon for some guys, but probably a small number compared to taking your family to Argentina.

The Red course is a 6 on the Doak Scale.

Generally, courses in Argentina are not maintained to the same ridiculous standards as in the USA.  He's not likely to find greens running at 11.5 on the Stimpmeter anywhere in South America.  If "well maintained" is a big part of his priorities, he should probably leave his clubs at home.

It's a great club, and if you had the chance to play with a member and get a feel for the place, then it might be worth it.  [I also highly doubt it would cost $450, which ought to go a long way in B.A. at the current exchange rate.]  But, $450 to be shuffled in and out by a tour operator?  Probably not worth it, unless you are a huge fan of Dr. MacKenzie's work, and/or you haven't been able to see much of MacKenzie's work because so many of his best courses are private.

MClutterbuck

Re: Anyone played the Jockey Club recently?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 02:45:27 PM »
The Argentine Open was played at the Jockey Club last week. So until Sunday, the course was in relatively good shape. I heard it was not the best conditions ever, but certainly not bad.

BTW, if you have not seen what happened at the playoff, please do:

http://www.golfwrx.com/581348/brandon-matthews-displays-profound-empathy-to-yelling-fan-who-contributed-to-his-playoff-defeat-on-latinoamerica-tour/

As to $450 to play... The green fee is $200 if you call direct... operators will throw in transport from hotel, sometimes clubs, translator, guide...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back