News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

Stevinson Ranch
« on: October 29, 2003, 10:32:11 AM »
http://www.stevinsonranch.com/

It's been a long time since I was there but the more I learn about GCA from this site, the more my memory appreciates this design.

If you haven't golfed there yet, I recommend the drive. If you have, could you tell me how far off my memory is?

THuckaby2

Re:Stevinson Ranch
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 10:34:52 AM »
I don't think your memory is off at all, Adam - but just what are you asking about?  How far it is out there, or how good the course is?

It's WAY out to the east from San Jose and San Francisco - just about 2 hours drive from either.

BUT it is worth the trek for sure - it is one hell of a great course, with a lot of what is valued in this group quite well-represented... ie there's a redan, an alps, etc.

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 10:46:14 AM »
Even GyroGib places Stevinson Ranch in his Top 20 or so, from a recent thread.  High praise from our best architectural curmudgeon.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 11:26:48 AM »
TomH- I was refering to the course not the drive. I am slightly shocked by your viewing it as that far. Maybe its the demands placed on your time but from a guy who could care less what time it is, driving to SR was well worth the trip.

We took the lads there and played the wrong tees, so it was a bit of a struggle. But thats part of the designs greatness is its ability to challenge a wide range of levels of golfer and giving them the options to play shots within their ability..

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 11:31:32 AM »
Adam:

Shocked about what?

I really thought it WAS that far from SJ or SF.  The last hour or so is on very small roads....  Hell, maybe one can get there quicker - I just remember it taking me that long to get out there.

And I also said it IS worth the trek.... and it is a great course... see above?

Hey, driving two hours to play golf is nothing for me, hell it's often standard operating procedure.  But I'm a certifiably insane golf addict.  Normal people would want to know it's two hours from these big citites.   ;)

TH
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 11:36:37 AM by Tom Huckaby »

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 04:09:23 PM »
Adam,
  Your memory serves you well. For my money Stevinson Ranch is the best value within 2 hours of me, for the quality of architecture you get. At the expensive end of the spectrum, for me Pasatiempo is the benchmark.
  Any plans to be over this way for some golf?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 04:25:38 PM »
Adam,
  Your memory serves you well. For my money Stevinson Ranch is the best value within 2 hours of me, for the quality of architecture you get. At the expensive end of the spectrum, for me Pasatiempo is the benchmark.
  Any plans to be over this way for some golf?

Ed - but for you, Stevinson Ranch is only an hour fifteen away ... ;)

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 04:29:07 PM »
From the course's Web site: "Designed by John Harbottle III and George H. Kelley, the Savannah Course is a throwback to the early days of golf architecture in America, importing the character and traditions of the great Scottish Links courses."

True, or false?

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 04:34:23 PM »
Dan K.:

I'd say it's true.  For once marketing isn't all just marketing.   ;)

TH

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 04:40:42 PM »
Obviously true.

It has many wonderful qualities including wind. For a dead flat site this course has plenty of width and lots of short game interest. Fairgreens and chipping areas which allow for more bounce and roll. The greens are very well contoured and inspire imaginative shotmaking. Another physical strength is the playability after severe rain. The savanah grassed flats are under water, but it takes a deservingly wayward shot to find the fragile drowning grass.

Ed- I only have desire to make it up the coast. I would consider going all the way to see Slagbert, too and who knows, maybe Vancouver. But alas commitment is a foe for life.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 05:18:54 PM »
I thought Stevinson Ranch was by Robinson?  Is there another "Savannah" course.  Which one are you guys talking about, or am I missing the mark?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 05:22:56 PM »
You must be thinking of something else, Mdugger.  SR was definitely done by Harbottle/Kelley.

TH

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 08:11:03 PM »
mdugger,
   I believe there is a Robinson Ranch in SoCal. Stevinson is Harbottle for sure.
Dan,
  Not really links like Scotland, but is firm and fast generally. Ground game is definitely in play at Stevinson. Some really fun holes at Stevinson on a dead flat site. The holes were obviously built there, but for me it doesn't detract from the fun at all.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 11:21:30 PM »
From the course's Web site: "Designed by John Harbottle III and George H. Kelley, the Savannah Course is a throwback to the early days of golf architecture in America, importing the character and traditions of the great Scottish Links courses."

True, or false?

True, as opposed to this "Dornoch-inspired" course:
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back