News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

BURY GC - An under the radar MacKenzie delight!
« on: November 01, 2019, 02:26:31 PM »

Few English golf clubs outside the very top tier have a finer pedigree than Bury - located in an industrial town a few miles north of Manchester. Founded in 1890 with a nine hole course at Redvales to the south of the town, the club appointed as their first professional the following year a young Harry Vardon. It was during Vardon’s time at Bury that he developed his demanding practice regime that honed his natural skills. By the time he left for the position at Ganton six years later he was almost certainly the finest golfer in the world; the first of his six Open victories came the same year.

The Redvales course was extended to eighteen holes in 1907 but didn’t survive the Great War. Its land was required for house building and a new road development.

The club found land for a new course, and in 1920 contacted the firm of Colt, MacKenzie, and Allison for advice. Alister MacKenzie took the lead and first visited the site in February 1920, pronouncing it ideal for a first class golf course. Construction by Franks Harris & Co commenced in that spring; nine holes were open for play in 1921 and the other nine the following year.

This wasn’t one of MacKenzie’s hit and run designs. He was a frequent presence at Bury during construction, as interestingly was his then partner Hugh Allison. Allison appears to have deputised on several occasions when MacKenzie was otherwise engaged.

Bury is one of MacKenzie's best documented projects, with a wealth of information and correspondence available. I am indebted to Neil Crafter for the historical input and old pics.

Golf scribe Robert Browning  later wrote of Bury  “the famous firm of Colt, MacKenzie and Allison made excellent use of its diversified natural features and boldly undulating contours; there are no two holes alike hardly even two which lie in the same direction. With a total length of close on 6,000 yards, the Blackford Bridge course provides an unusually varied and testing round.”

Google Earth BW by

A comparison between the post-war aerial shot and a modern day recreation courtesy of Google Earth reveals more houses and more trees - just as one would expect. Despite this Bury still retains many of its moorland characteristics, particularly in the excellent turf and fine grasses to be found throughout the course. There are only a few places where excessive tree growth impacts negatively on play or on views.

Very importantly, Bury is the driest course I have played in the Manchester area, and I've played most of them. It has rained a lot this autumn in NW England and most inland courses are squelchy mudbaths. I came off the course at Bury with completely clean shoes and trouser bottoms!

The opening four holes lie on high ground by the clubhouse before the course plunges down into the valley and more interesting terrain before returning with the 18th. Those familiar with Cavendish and Reddish Vale will spot a theme here, but I'm sorry to disappoint you! MacKenzie started the course on today's 4th, and closed it with the current 3rd. The change was apparently made in the 1980s because of hold-ups on the then opening hole with balls sliced right off the tee and invariably lost down the steep hill.

The course now starts with a par three - and an excellent one at that.

We then play three consecutive 400+ yard par 4s - a tough start to any course.

The 2nd is possibly the least dramatic hole on the course, doglegging around an uninspiring stand of the type of fast growing trees that nearly all golf courses felt compelled to plant in the 1970s.

The green though is a good one on two levels - I wish I'd taken a closer view of it.

The third is also a dog leg , but features a much tighter drive into the gap between the trees

The approach to the fabulous greensite benched into the hillside gives us an early glimpse of why we are here.

The 4th is the original opening hole, and features a drive to a marker post on what appears to be the left hand side of a wide fairway.

When we get to the post however, we realise that far from being wide, the fairway in fact drops away with a cliff eating in from the right.

Another nice green site - the 3rd tee is up to the left

The 5th hole is a delight. Only 272 yards long, it plays across the side slope to a rampart green which will surely repel all incoming long range missiles.

The ground contours are fabulous

Here's a photo from the 1920s when it was the 2nd

BuryOld2ndColour by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The 6th is a proper par 5 - 529 yards uphill from the back tee. This photo is taken from the 5th green.

The green slopes viciously from back to front with a wicked gorse bush immediately behind

The 7th continues the uphill journey with a shortish par 4

The shot to the green will be blind for most people, and appearances suggest that a ball will kick in from the right. Don't make that mistake! I've played this hole three times and have been in the hollow right of the green every time!

by

The 8th is a cracker of a driving hole. 383 yards downhill, a ball played slightly right will kick on from the back of the ridge towards the green.

The 9th is not a long par 5 at 486 yards, but it is uphill and relentless in its arc around the perimeter of the course. The green only comes into view 150 yards out - any shot to it from further back must clear tall trees and fencing protecting the houses within. When the course was built there were no houses and no trees - presumably just a boundary wall. The hole is very reminiscent of Cavendish's 14th, which MacKenzie built only a couple of years later. Its a great use of a curving boundary.

The second shot...  And finally the green is in view! 

For a course that barely measures 6000 yards, one feels far more tired after nine holes than one ought to. A quick glance at the card however, reveals that we've covered 3400 yards already with a par of 37! The back nine is not as long but more than makes up for it in character.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:53:19 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Duncan Cheslett

Re: BURY GC - An under the radar MacKenzie delight!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 05:19:06 PM »

The 10th is the second of a great set of four short holes. Except that at 199 yards it isn't exactly short! The hole plays its best from the ladies tee at 189 yards - the view of the green is dramatic and it begs a draw in from the right. The white and yellow tees are lower down and to the left, hiding the green behind a wall of trees. It seemed a no-brainer to both Ken Moodie and myself to move the Ladies tee forward and to use the higher tee for the men instead.

10th hole by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The hole as designed by Dr Mac looks very different. It really could do with a haircut!
His Ladies' tee is clearly visible well forward of the Mens'.

BuryOld7thColour by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The 11th is an uphill blind drive where a marker post would be handy. It reminds me of several tee shots at nearby Manchester GC.

Hole#11a by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The 446 yard 12th is not a MacKenzie hole, playing along a stretch of former farmland beyond the original boundary of the course. I have not yet got to the bottom of when it was built, but it appears to have been as a result of a hole or holes being lost to house building 50 years or so ago.

The turf is noticeably inferior to the moorland grass of the main body of the course, but after an unprepossessing tee shot (and for most of us a second) there is a lot of interest in the approach to the green

Hole#12a by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:55:45 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:42:41 PM »
Outstanding, Dunc, but how much does shit Architecture (of the building variety) detract from a brilliantly-conceived landscape solution? (Whether it’s golf or otherwise).
We need more Boons!
 ;D
F.

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 10:37:34 PM »
thank you very much, Duncan -- especially because: I saw a photo of the 5th hole once, years ago, but I don't know where or when, and I've been hoping to stumble across it again....and there it was!
What a charmer of a course, and a fine write ups, thanks.
It also struck me, houses and to some extent architecture aside, how much that first aerial/overhead reminded me of aerials of from Augusta in its very early days.
P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 10:40:28 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 03:08:46 AM »
The tee for the 397 yard 13th is set low in the woods behind the 12th green and the view reveals nothing of the fabulous last 100 yards of a lovely hole.

Hole#13c by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

Hole#13d by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

Hole#13e by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The 14th is another very scenic short hole, playing over broken ground. Everything seems to kick right, making a line just inside the left bunker the ideal one.

Hole#14a by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The 289 yard 15th is a peach. Go for the green or play safe out to the right and hope for a chip in close? What a pity though, that tree growth around the bridge ( a public footpath) obscures completely the green from the tee. Maybe it's for H&S reasons? Maybe the club doesn't own the land on the other side of the stream? All I know is that a fine hole would be improved immeasurably by some serious tree removal.

Hole#15a by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

Hole#15b by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

I inadvertently unlocked the key to the 16th on my first visit to Bury. I blocked a monster drive slightly right, only to see it kick on and left off the back of the hill and bound along the middle of the fairway towards the green! I advised big hitting Ken Moodie of this and he executed the same shot to perfection. Great fun!

Hole#16b by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

Hole#16a by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

Everyone loves a quirky 100 yard par 3, and the 17th at Bury is about as good as it gets. Remember to take your driver with you as you climb the steps to the green as the next tee is up there too!

Hole#17a by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

Not a great deal has changed in nearly 100 years...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hJmG5G]BuryOld14thColour by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr[/url] by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

And so to the final hole.

A high tee position gives a good opportunity for big hitters to take on the green - 269 yards distant from the yellow markers. The whites at 311 yards are probably a little too far even for the flattest belly.

Mere mortals meanwhile, will settle for getting a decent distance up the hill!

This is another hole that would benefit from some tree work to reveal a view of the green from the tee.

Hole#18c by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

Hole#18d by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

And the fine view back across the course...

Bury GC from 18th green by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

I've visited Bury several times over the last couple of weeks, and am immensely taken with the place. It's a wonderful property, and MacKenzie's use of the terrain and contours is masterful as usual. Bury definitely deserves a place among the higher echelon of Dr Mac's UK courses.

The greens, while not quite in the Cavendish class, are undulating and tricky. They are also firm and in great nick.

The biggest and best surprise for me though, is the overall conditioning. In a region of wet, muddy winter courses Bury stands head and shoulders above virtually all others for playability after a prolonged period of heavy rain.  If I lived in the immediate area I would be a member in a flash.

Put Bury on your "must play" list. At £20 a round (£25 in summer) it'd be rude not to!

Many thanks to our very own Thomas Dai for colourising the old pics.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:59:38 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 03:27:16 AM »
Holy pedigree Batman!  Vardon's first pro job, MacKenzie/Allison/Colt design and still in very similar routing indeed. This is a place to play for my next trip to Manchester in 2020. Thanks for the review. Wonderful documentation of photos which shows undulations more than I would have expected.  Question Duncan if you will:
1. It appears from the photos that trees, while not part of the original design have grown in quite healthily.  However, they look like they are in benign locations so as not to affect the strategy of playing the course.  Some are framing a chute to hit out of, well away from the fairway or decorating the back sides of the greens.  Is that correct?
2. Do they have a historic clubhouse that has been preserved and maintained with artifacts and history? One can only hope.
Bury will surely be on the list right along with Cavendish in 2020.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 03:37:25 AM »
Outstanding, Dunc, but how much does shit Architecture (of the building variety) detract from a brilliantly-conceived landscape solution? (Whether it’s golf or otherwise).
We need more Boons!
 ;D
F.

Marty,

The architectural quality of the housing that has sprung up around the course over the last 100 years isn't great, but it doesn't detract from the playing experience. At the end of the day we're in Whitefield, not Wentworth! 3-bedroomed semi-detached boxes are what you would expect to find surrounding a golf course in a Lancashire mill town!

I would agree entirely though, that aesthetically nicer 3-bedroomed semi-detached boxes would have been a good idea throughout the country for the last 70 odd years!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 03:40:15 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 04:14:18 AM »

1. It appears from the photos that trees, while not part of the original design have grown in quite healthily.  However, they look like they are in benign locations so as not to affect the strategy of playing the course.  Some are framing a chute to hit out of, well away from the fairway or decorating the back sides of the greens.  Is that correct?

I am a huge critic of the way trees have been allowed to proliferate on golf courses, but at Bury they seldom offend in the way that they do at many places. They have resisted in general the urge to line every fairway with serried ranks of silver birch, instead opting for better quality trees in groups or copses.

Only on a few holes do trees obscure a view of the green where it is self evident that there should be one. The 10th, 15th, and 18th are the prime suspects.

2. Do they have a historic clubhouse that has been preserved and maintained with artifacts and history? One can only hope.
Bury will surely be on the list right along with Cavendish in 2020.

The clubhouse is a Victorian manor house called Unsworth Hall. It's nowhere near as grand as it sounds!

It doesn't really shine as a clubhouse because it gives no view of the course and is hidden below the first tee by trees. I've not really explored inside other than to buy a pint of Guinness.

I'd be pleased to host you at Cavendish and/or Bury. Keep in touch!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 04:19:48 AM »
A very fine tour Duncan. Many a nice insight and detail. You must have spent quite a bit of time putting it together. Well done.
Just goes to show how much fine golf there is in the UK that somehow manages to stay under the usual radar settings.
atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 07:53:01 AM »
A very fine tour Duncan. Many a nice insight and detail. You must have spent quite a bit of time putting it together. Well done.
Just goes to show how much fine golf there is in the UK that somehow manages to stay under the usual radar settings.
atb

+1

Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »
We need more Boons!
 ;D
F.

Absolutely. Was I the only GCA'er who recently saw Mr Boon on TV showing off his house to Kevin McLeod ?

Duncan

Brilliant, well done. I particularly enjoy the old photos interspersed with the modern ones. Looks terrific.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 08:14:43 AM »
We need more Boons!
 ;D
F.

Absolutely. Was I the only GCA'er who recently saw Mr Boon on TV showing off his house to Kevin McLeod ?

Duncan

Brilliant, well done. I particularly enjoy the old photos interspersed with the modern ones. Looks terrific.

Niall

If you dragged yourself into the twentieth century and joined Facebook, you’d have seen a lot of hearty congrats!
 ;D
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 08:26:20 AM »
What's facebook ?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »
What's facebook ?

Its an advertisement website  ;D

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 02:18:07 PM »

Cheers David.

You're right. It does take a bit of work - not helped by the seemingly random way the forum software sizes text!

I've found that rather than use the preview function it's a lot easier and quicker to post and then edit from there. You can then actually see the photos rather than just a bunch of meaningless code!

James Reader

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 05:27:12 AM »
I can’t believe I lived 20 minutes away for 10 years and had no idea what was there.  I knew there was a Bury GC but it was completely off my radar as somewhere worth seeing.  Just wish I’d found GCA earlier!

Thanks Duncan. Definitely one for the list for 2020.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »
I was disappointed not to be able to join you when you suggested this trip, Duncan.  Even more so now.  Looks well worth a visit in the spring....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 03:39:35 PM »

Cheers David.

You're right. It does take a bit of work - not helped by the seemingly random way the forum software sizes text!

I've found that rather than use the preview function it's a lot easier and quicker to post and then edit from there. You can then actually see the photos rather than just a bunch of meaningless code!

The top secret GCA Junta please take note.  You wardrobe able to draft a post on Word copy and paste, viola.  But it's become so painful I've given up on  course tours or even. Lo get posts.  Progress?

Thanks again for persevering Duncan.

Nb I've just realised how bad it's become.  I have several significant French c[size=78%]ourses in my camera and I can't be arsed to post them![/size]

Tomorrow I play West Cliffs in Portugal and I couldn't be bothered to pack a camera!

The resisingabove happened when I corrected a spelling mistake.  I haven't got the patience for this s***! Sorry to whinge on a great thread. (Tried 3x to get this right!)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:41:35 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 04:33:35 PM »
Spangles

When posting, hit the box with arrow surrounded by brackets. For some reason this orders the size.

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 05:49:01 PM »
Tony,

Any chance of a translation in English?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 01:32:43 AM »
Spangles

When posting, hit the box with arrow surrounded by brackets. For some reason this orders the size.

Happy Hockey

The one that comes up with the banner "Toggle View" when you hover the cursor over it?

Thanks Sean - I've never noticed it before and certainly wouldn't know what it meant or did!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:45:59 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »
Updated with the old pics now in colour courtesy of Thomas Dai!  ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 04:22:29 AM »
Duncan

Many of the green sites look fantastic. The use of land shy of the greens looks good as well. Conversely, many tee shots look dull, but that may be because of trees creating the illusion of similarity. Do you know who built the course?

Thanks for the tour!

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ben Stephens

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 05:38:24 AM »
Updated with the old pics now in colour courtesy of Thomas Dai!  ;D

Dai's updated image of the 14th is all green! should the sky be more blue and the bunkers more 'sandy'

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 06:16:38 AM »
Duncan

Many of the green sites look fantastic. The use of land shy of the greens looks good as well. Conversely, many tee shots look dull, but that may be because of trees creating the illusion of similarity. Do you know who built the course?

Thanks for the tour!

Happy Hockey

Sean,

The course was built by Frank Harris & Co. I believe they were Colt’s favoured contractors. One might have expected MacKenzie to have used his own brother...

As for tee shots, in common with many Dr Mac courses, there are very few fairway bunkers.

You should join me at Bury one day. You’ll be impressed!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:23:59 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back