News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: King-Collins new build in Eastern Nebraska: Landmand Golf Club
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »
Love Story Lounge productions.  More to come, excited to see.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ryan Taylor

Re: King-Collins new build in Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 01:51:18 PM »
Thank you for update. This will be a cool project to follow. Can you expand on point 7? Will Andy be writing articles, YouTube episodes and/or Insta stories?? I think a YouTube series on the design, construction, grow and opening in the spirit of the NLU Tourist Sauce series would be wildly entertaining. King-Collins seems like the perfect fit for this type of storytelling.

Film??? I'm excited but a series with episodes released after each stage of the golf course construction process would be more interesting. We're blessed to have all this semi-independent golf related content. (i.e. Fried Egg, The Golfer's Journal, Caddie, McKellar, No Laying Up, EAL, Mark Crossfield, etc.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:53:29 PM by Ryan Taylor »
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jason Topp

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 12:23:43 PM »
Thank you for update. This will be a cool project to follow. Can you expand on point 7? Will Andy be writing articles, YouTube episodes and/or Insta stories?? I think a YouTube series on the design, construction, grow and opening in the spirit of the NLU Tourist Sauce series would be wildly entertaining. King-Collins seems like the perfect fit for this type of storytelling.

Film??? I'm excited but a series with episodes released after each stage of the golf course construction process would be more interesting. We're blessed to have all this semi-independent golf related content. (i.e. Fried Egg, The Golfer's Journal, Caddie, McKellar, No Laying Up, EAL, Mark Crossfield, etc.)

Those involved can comment but I do not think of this type of production as independent.  It is promotional material - just higher quality promotional material. 

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 03:17:55 PM »
Much of the stuff coming from NLU, Fried Egg etc is a murky line between promotional, instructional and entertainment. It's not that different from the golf mags of yesteryear. It is clear where the Tourist Sauce is concerned that punches are pulled, but at least the boys let you know up front who's paying. That's fair enough.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Buck Wolter

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »

Much of the stuff coming from NLU, Fried Egg etc is a murky line between promotional, instructional and entertainment. It's not that different from the golf mags of yesteryear. It is clear where the Tourist Sauce is concerned that punches are pulled, but at least the boys let you know up front who's paying. That's fair enough.

Ciao

I heard a great quote today regarding $0 Brokerage Commissions --'If you're not paying for it, you're the product'.

That said I think Andy (The Fried Egg) has kept the line pretty clear and pulls almost no punches
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Andy Johnson

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »
None of what we do is promotional. We have a strict editorial policy and put our authenticity and voice 1st with any relationship. I would love to know what we have done that would lump us in the promotional bucket.

As for Landmand, this is a documentary, not a hype video, we have 100% control of the direction of the film. The video released this week is simply a small preview introducing the film. We will continue to post updates as the project progresses.

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Arb’s, The Fried Egg is not anything close to promotional other then promoting GREAT, AFFORDABLE CLASSIC GOLF COURSE DESIGN. (UPPER CASE ON PURPOSE!).  Andy has done more self-paid travel to accessible classic courses then most anyone I know. He’s always seemingly coming up with a course no one has seen, that should be seen!

You should re-examine your usually well-grounded opinion!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 09:58:20 PM »
Here's a terrific video from our own Vaughn Halyard that discusses the origins of Landmand and shows how terrific the land is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beVRGSaECxg&feature=youtu.be

Great-looking land -- but that godawful "music"! Nightmare stuff.

(Everyone's a critic -- right?)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 03:19:42 AM »
None of what we do is promotional. We have a strict editorial policy and put our authenticity and voice 1st with any relationship. I would love to know what we have done that would lump us in the promotional bucket.

As for Landmand, this is a documentary, not a hype video, we have 100% control of the direction of the film.

I may be mistaken, but don't you require permission to create the videos? If you thought the project was turning into a rotten egg would you pull no punches in the published videos? Would you lambast an archie in an interview if you disliked his work? Would you even interview an archie whose work you don't like? Simply choosing the content can be seen as promotional, even if you aren't paid. It's all food for thought.

All I am saying is once projects take on partners and or friends, paid or not, the lines become blurred. A certain implicit or explicit understanding becomes established. That's fine and to be expected. My point was so long as the audience knows these issues upfront there is transparency. It's a tricky subject, but not one for which I am attacking anybody...just laying it out there. 

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:51:56 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Eric Smith

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2019, 08:37:34 AM »
Hashtag Wisdom

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »
Sean,

I can certainly appreciate the concerns and you make some good points.

The handful of Fried Egg Podcasts I've seen are excellent compared to the preponderance of fluff/crapolla pieces out there. There is no such a thing as a completely unbiased viewpoint in my estimation and seems like the "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" mantra fits here.

Peter Flory

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2019, 02:51:23 PM »
Here's Rob Collins' drawing of the Landmand routing.  I added hole numbers by the greens.

This drawing style reminds me of El Boqueron

James Reader

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2019, 03:14:45 PM »
The 8th green looks interesting!

V_Halyard

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »

Those involved can comment but I do not think of this type of production as independent.  It is promotional material - just higher quality promotional material.

Let me be extremely clear. Our day job is producing original content for Disney/ESPN/NBC ESPN Films etc. This Landmand film project is a fully independent production. The actual production costs far exceed the actual presenting sponsor support... By double digits. We were invited to join by Fried Egg because the thinking is collectively, we could make it very entertaining and more interesting for the audience if we start at day one.

The presenting sponsorship is simply supportive of, and expands the storytelling platform for new project in a new place that would be an entertaining story for a very small collection of deep golf architecture aficionados.  We are grateful that the sponsorship team kicked in because they were involved in the infrastructure of the project and also appreciate a good storytelling. Don't be mistaken, golf geekdom is a Tiny Tiny Teeny Tiny commercial audience, but dedicated. We think our golf shit matters a lot but it generally only does to us.

As aficionados, we think Investment in a US domestic new golf course is a big deal in this economy and should be celebrated.  We (Me) at StoryLounge agreed to do this production frankly because we enjoy the topic as well as spending time with the outstanding quality of the company of the players involved. If book rate were charged, this would not happen. Also GUESSING that If Fried Egg was doing this for the billing, it probably would not happen.  If the rest of my StoryLounge production team had a say, this would not happen. So yeah, this is happening anyway because the players involved wanted to do a cool thing not because of a sponsorship. All feel free to disagree. Those who know me know that Zero F--- will be given. Remember, we are the people nobody wants to be stuck with in the corner of the kitchen.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:38:34 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2019, 11:22:21 AM »

As for Landmand, this is a documentary, not a hype video, we have 100% control of the direction of the film.

I may be mistaken, but don't you require permission to create the videos? If you thought the project was turning into a rotten egg would you pull no punches in the published videos? Would you lambast an archie in an interview if you disliked his work? Would you even interview an archie whose work you don't like? Simply choosing the content can be seen as promotional, even if you aren't paid. It's all food for thought.

All I am saying is once projects take on partners and or friends, paid or not, the lines become blurred. A certain implicit or explicit understanding becomes established. That's fine and to be expected. My point was so long as the audience knows these issues upfront there is transparency. It's a tricky subject, but not one for which I am attacking anybody...just laying it out there. 

Happy Hockey

Let me be extremely clear. Our day job is producing original content for Disney/ESPN/NBC ESPN Films etc. This Landmand film project is a fully independent production. The actual production costs far exceed the actual presenting sponsor support... By double digits. We were invited to join by Fried Egg because the thinking is collectively, we could make it very entertaining and more interesting for the audience if we start at day one.

The presenting sponsorship is simply supportive of, and expands the storytelling platform for new project in a new place that would be an entertaining story for a very small collection of deep golf architecture aficionados.  We are grateful that the sponsorship team kicked in because they were involved in the infrastructure of the project and also appreciate a good storytelling. Don't be mistaken, golf geekdom is a Tiny Tiny Teeny Tiny commercial audience, but dedicated. We think our golf shit matters a lot but it generally only does to us.

As aficionados, we think Investment in a US domestic new golf course is a big deal in this economy and should be celebrated.  We (Me) at StoryLounge agreed to do this production frankly because we enjoy the topic as well as spending time with the outstanding quality of the company of the players involved. If book rate were charged, this would not happen. Also GUESSING that If Fried Egg was doing this for the billing, it probably would not happen.  If the rest of my StoryLounge production team had a say, this would not happen. So yeah, this is happening anyway because the players involved wanted to do a cool thing not because of a sponsorship. All feel free to disagree. Those who know me know that Zero F--- will be given. Remember, we are the people nobody wants to be stuck with in the corner of the kitchen.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:38:13 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jason Topp

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 12:01:59 PM »

Happy Hockey

Thanks Vaughn and Andy.  I stand corrected and apologize.  There is so much hype out there that one gets cynical.  I should have shot you a note rather than make assumptions. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:04:09 PM by Jason Topp »

V_Halyard

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »

Happy Hockey

Thanks Vaughn and Andy.  I stand corrected and apologize.  There is so much hype out there that one gets cynical.  I should have shot you a note rather than make assumptions. 

No worries JT. Just thought I would add severe clarity to any clouds!

Eric Smith

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »
It's all ball bearings storytelling nowadays!

V_Halyard

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »
If the golf architecture tells the story properly, we are simply consuming, enjoying or relaying!

Eric Smith

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2019, 10:03:43 PM »
If the golf architecture tells the story properly, we are simply consuming, enjoying or relaying!

I'm in full agreement with you, sir. Ever read Bernard Darwin? Storytelling at its finest.

Keep up the good work, gents.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »
Great logo!

David Wuthrich

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
Perfect logo! :) :) :)

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2019, 01:36:56 PM »
Here's a more finished map of the course:

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2019, 01:57:05 PM »
Per Rob Collins, green sizes will range from about 2,500 square feet for the 8th green, to about 30,000 square feet for the 17th green!

I believe the Postage Stamp green at Royal Troon was the inspiration for the 8th.  The old Sitwell Park green is the inspiration for the 17th.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2019, 02:28:01 PM »
What is all the "negative space" on the map going to be?  Is it mowed grass?  Native rough?  Cornfield?  I presume that in Nebraska, it is not going to be open sand.

It looks like it is in play quite a bit, so that will have a lot to do with how the course comes across.

Here's a more finished map of the course:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back