News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Delahunty

Retro Day Down Under
« on: August 19, 2019, 02:19:13 AM »
A group of the Aussie contingent gathered for a Retro Day at Port Fairy Golf Club on Sunday.  The only requirement was that one's clubs should predate 1990.  About half the field played hickories with the rest playing persimmon.  Despite several weeks of inclement weather, Saturday was a glorious winter's day on the links.  Port Fairy Golf Club is located about 4 hours's drive west of Melbourne.  It is probably the only true links course on mainland Australia.

Colin Macqueen

Re: Retro Day Down Under
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 04:57:45 AM »
Matthew,

What a great idea.  I wish I had known as I would have swanned in wielding my Hogan Apex irons, Hogan persimmon woods and be-decked in tartan plus-fours for sure.

A day made in heaven, a lovely course and an excellent turnout by the looks of things.

Now ...... who was channeling Sam Snead with the Panama hat? Did this chap have a smooth, silky swing to complement the garb?!

Port Fairy looks beautiful and surely is very "linkslandy."  Is Barwon heads credited with being links land as well?

Well done to all of you!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 06:58:50 AM »
Colin
"Slammin Sam" has won 11 club championships (I think).
James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 07:29:39 AM »
A fantastic day of golf and equally awesome photos. Thanks Matt for sharing.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 12:49:34 PM »
Retro day, great idea. Well done.
Atb

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 03:01:22 PM »
Sartorially, a handsomer set of golfers I’ve never seen, especially around here — what with our infatuation for modern-day gore-tex & micro fibres at the expense of classic cotton, linen & wool.
Architecturally, it seems like my ideal layout: all the quiet charm of Sean’s tier-three English inland courses with better turf and a more expansive feel. 
In short: I don’t want ‘breath-able’ golf wear, and I do want ‘breath-able’ golf courses — and implements that look like they’re crafted to play a game instead of designed to launch us to Mars.
Thanks for posting
Peter

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 03:04:18 PM »
What the hell is up with coins on the green for Retro Day?   8)

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »
'Twas a guinea coin, Sir Sean, a guinea coin!
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 06:39:10 PM »
A great day indeed. Fantastic company, a great course and we were blessed with the weather too. Thanks to Matt for the wonderful photos. And to Shane for organising another belter of a day. More should enjoy such a day.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matthew Rose

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »

Ciao

Yep, shouldn't there be stymies? :)

Looks like a lot of fun.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
My goodness, this is the stuff of greatness. Beautiful and thanks for organizing and posting from the other side.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 02:00:06 AM »

Ciao

Yep, shouldn't there be stymies? :)

Looks like a lot of fun.

Cha ching

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 05:28:19 AM »
Some “what clubs are in the bag” photos would be interesting.
Were retro golf balls played or modern or a combination?
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back