News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Bayside's Evolution to Firm and Fast
« on: July 20, 2019, 08:25:19 AM »
The Proctor and Axland design is finally being presented in a manner befitting a sand base course. Their newish superintendent, Kit, has been working tirelessly for two years, to eek out the genius of the design. He's finally back to square one, after what could only be described as 17 years of neglect. Happy 20th Anniversary. Quite an accomplishment for a Ma & Pa, in this day and age.

With recent rains in the region, the native areas are as puffy as I've ever seen them. On the fabulous 7th, this puffiness helped obscure visuals of the fairway, leaving only the tip of the centerline bunker to orient the golfer to a preferred line.

All in all, I can't express how gratifying and exciting it was to see balls bounce and roll to their ultimate conclusion, without being immediately halted by soft turf and/or lush grass. 

Come out to Lake McConaughy and see how this young man and his dedicated crew, have brought this course alive.  Ps. Mention my name and prepare for a good razzing, or, 20% added to your bill. Just kidding, they'll only tack on 10%.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Pallotta

Re: Bayside's Evolution to Firm and Fast
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »
Adam - I don't even have to know the course (let alone have played it) to appreciate this as a very positive development and be glad of it. Perhaps you can encourage Kit to put his thoughts/approach and processes down on paper as an essay to be posted here.
Hope you're well and that all is well
Peter

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 03:24:26 PM »
Adam,

Looks great!

https://baysidegolf.com/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Sweeney

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jason Hines

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:53:21 PM »
Hi Adam,

Good to hear this news.  It has been many years since I played Bayside, but if memory serves is there a spine down the middle of #11 fairway?  If so does firm and fast make the tee ball hard to hold?

How did it play?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
Jason, #11 doesn't really have a spine that is so narrow that firmness makes it too narrow.

Minimizing the stupid longer grass, surrounding bunkers, has really helped their visual effectiveness. Both in the minds eye, and visually. [size=78%] [/size]

Thanks for all the considered replies.

At this point, I don't know if there are too many sportsmen remaining. But if there are, you don't have to wait for winter to experience the joys and smiles missing from overwatered golf.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back