News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Northwest Ireland in July
« on: May 30, 2019, 03:00:13 PM »
Looking for some feedback on an itinerary I've put together.

After going to the Thursday round of the Open, I'm heading to northwest Ireland for almost three weeks. I'll be staying in Donegal, Dunfanaghy, Sligo, and Westport as I work my way down the coast.

Right now, I have tee times at Rosapenna, Portsalon, Donegal, Dunfanaghy, Enniscrone, Carne and Connemara.

I am planning on playing Narin & Portnoo, Strandhill and Cruit Island as well.

I'm considering leaving County Sligo out. From what I've gleaned on here, the cost might not be worth it. Is that a mistake?

Are there any courses I'm missing? I saw that North West Golf Club gets some love on here. Should I work that in?

I'm trying to keep a healthy balance of golf and free time to wander.

Jim Sherma

Re: Northwest Ireland in July
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »
I was in the Northwest a couple of years ago and would not recommend leaving County Sligo out. It was my favorite of everything I played. If you are staying in Westport definitely make time for Mulranny, really neat experience and well worth the trip.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »
Mulranny
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 03:12:40 PM »
Rosses Point was my least favorite  in the Sligo to Carne area even though I took second in our Buda group Stableford.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kevin Stark

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
Portstewart might be crowded with its proximity to The Open but it was my 2nd favorite behind Portrush on the tour I made of that part of the island two years ago. If you get a chance to play Portstewart on your way to the coast, take advantage of it.

I might add Ballyliffin to your itinerary. In addition to those three aforementioned locations, I hit Rosapenna, Narin and Portnoo, and Portsalon. I liked all of what I saw at Rosapenna, was indifferent on Narin and Portnoo, and wasn't a huge fan of Portsalon. If limited to ten rounds at the courses I saw in the Republic of Ireland, I would play 4 at Ballyliffin (2 at each course), 5 at Rosapenna (3 on Sandy Hills, 2 on OTM), and one at N&P.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »
Mulranny for sure. Definitely not to be missed.

As to others not I believe mentioned -

There's Gweedore, which isn't very far from both Dunfanaghy and Cruit Island.

Several of the bigger venues have 9-hole courses at well and these should be given consideration especially as you might get a deal, ie play the 18-holer get the 9-holer for a lower price - Carne has the epic Kilmore-9, County Sligo has the Bomore-9, Enniscrone has the Strand-9.

North of Loch Swilly there's Greencastle and the 9-holer at Buncrana GC.

Rosapenna currently has 2x18's plus a 9-holer as well.

Enjoy. Great part of the world.

atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 04:57:03 AM »
Mulranny

Mathematically speaking, I knew that eventually the day would  come when I was able to agree 100% with one of Garlands posts. And today's that day.😂
Let's make GCA grate again!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 05:57:37 AM »
Dan

You have most everything ticked off and I also endorse Mulranny as being one of the most divine seaside courses you will ever play. Envy doesn't begin to describe my feelings about your trip.

Surprised you're bypassing Ballyliffin. Two excellent courses and worth a day or two of your time.

When we played Connemara, a few of us stayed in the nearby seaside village of Roundstone, which was very pleasant and a lot closer after a long day than Westport. I recommend staying there.

Connemara Isles looks quaint, if you fancy a rustic, coastal 9-holer. I've read a number of positive reviews from those who have sought it out.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
Hi Dan:

Not sure what day you will be at Rosapenna - or exactly what day(s) I will be there myself - but we are planning to start work on the course next door at St. Patrick's by then, and I will be around for several days in July.  If you are curious to see what a links course looks like very early into construction, let me know and I will see that you are able to come have a look around.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »
Northwest
a gem

Sligo-sure but given the value proposition, I'd take Northwest (and the ones mentioned below)all day

Make time for Mulranny(9)

Connemara Isles(9) is a nice gem and a compliment to Connemara, but isn't really that close( over an hour) but could be worked in if heading towards Galway

as far as Ballyliffin, I've been three times, very friendly...but I have a very hard time remembering many of the holes as the terrain is similar in color and texture and the holes kind've intertwine on the two courses.

IMHO Portsalon is far more memorable(if you're not hooked after hole 1 and 2 you have no soul) but many disagree with me.
Given Kevin recommended 2 rounds at  each Ballyliffin and 3 at Sandy Hills, I'd say our tastes are different and he clearly like Big Dunes links courses-I like a mix, and really enjoy subtle compact places like Northwest GC.

If you do get that way Greencastle(especially if taking ferry from NI) is worth a look-not all links but fun

Gweedore has some new holes(and I'm definitely looking to get back there) but given your itinerary, I'd put it at the back of the choices and like Buncrana 9, only play it if directly on the route with a free evening

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
Dan

On your way from Portrush stop in at Castlerock and play a quick nine on the Bann course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 03:48:33 PM »
Dan
On your way from Portrush stop in at Castlerock and play a quick nine on the Bann course.
Ciao

+1
atb

Tim Fitz

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »
There is a 9-hole course shortly outside of Westport (northwest of the city) called Clew Bay Golf Club.  It is not going to be on anyone's list of top courses in Ireland, but it has all the quirks and personality that make the country great.  I am not sure that there is a bunker on the course.  It is very clear that the course was simply laid on the plot of land on which it sits, hard by Clew Bay itself, with movement in the land and all the wind you might expect.

The clubhouse is a trailer (looks like a tinker trailer); the expense is minimal at best.  Don't cancel a round at a great place, but to the extent you are taking any time to relax in Westport (my favorite town in Ireland), this is an easy way to spend a couple of hours in the afternoon before retiring to Molloy's to tip pints and listen to Mick LaVell sing.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »
Hi Dan:

Not sure what day you will be at Rosapenna - or exactly what day(s) I will be there myself - but we are planning to start work on the course next door at St. Patrick's by then, and I will be around for several days in July.  If you are curious to see what a links course looks like very early into construction, let me know and I will see that you are able to come have a look around.

Hi Tom,

Thanks! I would absolutely love that. I have a 2:20 tee time at Rosapenna on July 19. But I will be in that general area from July 19-28. I've got a bunch of tee times book, but will gladly shuffle my schedule to fit in a look at St. Patrick. Any chance you'll be around in that window?

Dan

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 12:42:40 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like at a minimum I need to see Mulranny.

Doug Wright

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 07:10:29 PM »
NW Ireland is terrific. A couple years ago I did a similar trip after starting in Portrush that included Ballyliffin, Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Dunfanaghy, Rosapenna and Portsalon. We also were scheduled to play Northwest but unfortunately were fogged out. From what I could glean it looks like a worthwhile visit—the fogged-out members we hung out with for awhile were great too. I really like both Ballyliffin courses. The only course of the bunch I didn’t like was Rosapenna Sandy Hills, which I found too penal. Loved the Old Tom Morris course there though. I’d like to play Portsalon again. Some of the newer holes are not great but the rest are really good.  I wanted to play 9 holers like Mulranny as I'd heard good things from similar inquiries but time didn't allow. Enjoy.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »
[fcont=Helvetica]NW Ireland is terrific. A couple years ago I did a similar trip after starting in Portrush that included Ballyliffin, Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Dunfanaghy, Rosapenna and Portsalon. We also were scheduled to play Northwest but unfortunately were fogged out. From what I could glean it looks like a worthwhile visit—the fogged-out members we hung out with for awhile were great too. I really like both Ballyliffin courses. The only course of the bunch I didn’t like was Rosapenna Sandy Hills, which I found too penal. Loved the Old Tom Morris course there though. I’d like to play Portsalon again. Some of the newer holes are not great but the rest are really good.  I wanted to play 9 holers like Mulranny as I'd heard good things from similar inquiries but time didn't allow. Enjoy. [/font]

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
Great ... looks like I should bring an extra sleeve or two of balls to Rosapenna.

And I'm going to try to find a way to fit Northwest into the itinerary.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back