News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: BUDA 2019 - Goswick and Dunstanburgh Castle 6-8 September
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2018, 04:22:28 PM »
If you’re planning on going to Newcastle by train and then hiring a car check out the car collection/drop-off location carefully. A while back I went to Newcastle by train but to collect and drop-off the hire car we had to travel out to Newcastle Airport on the metro/subway system which took quite a while and was pretty inconvenient. Forewarned in forearmed. Not sure what the car hire situation is elsewhere but I can’t imagine there’s much if anything available at Berwick-on-Tweed or Alnwick.
Atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2018, 04:46:37 PM »
If you’re planning on going to Newcastle by train and then hiring a car check out the car collection/drop-off location carefully. A while back I went to Newcastle by train but to collect and drop-off the hire car we had to travel out to Newcastle Airport on the metro/subway system which took quite a while and was pretty inconvenient. Forewarned in forearmed. Not sure what the car hire situation is elsewhere but I can’t imagine there’s much if anything available at Berwick-on-Tweed or Alnwick.
Atb

That's not too uncommon I fear. A few years ago I booked a rental car in Florence. I emailed the rental company a number of times making it clear that I wanted to pick up the car from their downtown office, not the airport. On the day I went to the office. 'Ah Mr Lawrence,' says the nice Italian chap behind the counter, 'your car is at the airport'. I turned the air blue, but it didn't help, I had to go to the airport. Got there to find a substantial queue at the rental car desk which made me even more angry. Finally reach the front of the line, fit to explode, and the nice lady (a) sorts me out quickly and (b) upgrades me from the crappy little compact I had booked to a rather splendid powder blue Jaguar. That cheered me up, but I still remember the grief they caused me.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

V_Halyard

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »
Atb

That's not too uncommon I fear. A few years ago I booked a rental car in Florence. I emailed the rental company a number of times making it clear that I wanted to pick up the car from their downtown office, not the airport. On the day I went to the office. 'Ah Mr Lawrence,' says the nice Italian chap behind the counter, 'your car is at the airport'. I turned the air blue, but it didn't help, I had to go to the airport. Got there to find a substantial queue at the rental car desk which made me even more angry. Finally reach the front of the line, fit to explode, and the nice lady (a) sorts me out quickly and (b) upgrades me from the crappy little compact I had booked to a rather splendid powder blue Jaguar. That cheered me up, but I still remember the grief they caused me.
Adam, did you need me to come drive the left side of the road with you? Would that help?  ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 05:29:38 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

John Cowden

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
Looking forward to watching Pasatiempo’s Julie Inkster and her team take on North Berwick’s Catriona Matthews and her Euros at Gleneagles the weekend following the Buda.   Two classic events for the price of one airfare (or two, counting Miss Connie)!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »
There are certainly car hire places in Newcastle city centre, if not at the station.  Honestly, logistically, this may be one of the easiest BUDAs ever.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Cowden

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »
Logistics.  I propose a different journey.  Go back in the archives and history on this wonderful site and search BUDA.  Now, scroll though the entries, especially the early ones, say, 2006.  History has no beginning.... and choose any thread you like.  They are wonderful!  The names—those of us who don’t know the individual, know the name.   The adventures—the stuff of legend.  And the wit and the writing is so enjoyable.   A marvelous record of a very special history shared by some good people.  A toast to Bill McB.  Pretty cool reading. 

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2018, 05:17:47 PM »
Been there, but haven't done it. It rained that day. Yes, I know. I mean, it RAINED.

I'll put it in my calendar, thanks for the early announcement. No excuses for not getting it done now :)

Ulrich

PS: Oh wait - what about Brexit? Are they going to let me in?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:21:26 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2018, 02:52:42 AM »
I'm sure we'll be able to smuggle you in, Ulrich, and it will be a delight to have you back at BUDA.

That putter, though, we'll stop at the border!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill Crane

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
Will there be a limited number of spaces that will go fairly quickly?
Just want to get a sense if a decision could be made in February or March and still be able to join the group.
Bill

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2018, 04:16:57 PM »
Please count me in. This seems like a great opportunity for my maiden voyage to the Kingdom.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2018, 05:53:40 PM »
Mark,

Relax, I have a different putter now. Nothing outrageous in my bag anymore. Well, unless you count the grooveless, hickory-shafted irons, but that should be ok for Scotland :)

This really looks like I can do it.

Ulrich

PS: yes, Scotland. Since Brexit I refuse to acknowledge the existence of England :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:55:20 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »
No probs, Ulrich,  Even if Brexit makes it through all the sound and fury, England will still have a German monarch.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

ward peyronnin

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 08:29:03 PM »
You guys have a great time.

I am disappointed that despite repeatedly pointing out the Walker Cup conflict Buda continues to be scheduled, when in Sept., right over those standing dates. Looks like a good venue
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Giles Payne

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2019, 08:29:59 AM »
I am in this year and look forward to seeing everyone.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2019, 12:24:58 PM »
Not sure about my schedule, but Mark when are you going to start taking deposits or registrations etc?  How many players will you be able to accommodate?  Also I could maybe make 2 of the 3 days and hope this fits.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jason Topp

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2019, 12:18:06 AM »
Plane tickets purchased!  Getting fired up. Looking for a game the weekend beforehand.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2019, 05:16:08 AM »
Plane tickets purchased!  Getting fired up. Looking for a game the weekend beforehand.
I'm sure there'll be plenty on offer.  The pre/post BUDA golf arrangements normally take a while to get started...

Mark Pearce

Re: BUDA 2019 - Goswick and Dunstanburgh Castle 6-8 September - more details
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2019, 07:35:01 AM »
A few more details of price and deposits on the OP.  We are, at the moment, limited to 24 places in each round (and, to date, more than 40 have expressed interest!).  Once I get deposits your slot is held.  I can't hold slots until deposits are in!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:44:44 AM by Mark Pearce »

Michael Graham

Re: BUDA 2019 - deposits being taken to secure places
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:30 AM »
Mark,

What's the best email address for you? I'll Paypal you the deposit now for me and my brother.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »
Mark and John... please post your details for sending a deposit. Is PayPal your preferred payment method? If yes, to what account do we send the £100 payment? If you would prefer a different payment method please let us know.

Thanks for everything!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »
I don't do Paypal.  If people wanting to pay in pounds, message me and I'll let you have bank details to do a BACS transfer.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »
US deposits can come to me via PayPal in either USD ($129) or GBP (£100).  PayPal address is jwmayhugh AT gmail DOT com   Just be sure it is marked as a gift if that's an option. Otherwise there are fees charged.Venmo is also possible if you prefer that, as is a check. Contact me by email if you want to use one of those methods.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:16:46 PM by John Mayhugh »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 02:31:19 PM »
US deposits can come to me via PayPal in either USD ($129) or GBP (£100).  PayPal address is jwmayhugh AT gmail DOT com   Just be sure it is marked as a gift if that's an option. Otherwise there are fees charged.Venmo is also possible if you prefer that, as is a check. Contact me by email if you want to use one of those methods.
Thanks, John

mike_malone

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »
 A few of us are going to Kilspindie on Monday 9/2 in the afternoon. I may be able to add more since my host is enthused by our crazy lot. If interested let me know.
AKA Mayday

John Mayhugh

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »
Please hold off on sending in any more deposits. I think the event is proving more popular than expected, and Mark need to get a handle on number of players and tee time availability. Anyone that hasn't sent a deposit yet, please let Mark know that you want to attend, and then he or I can get back to you when we are ready for your deposit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back