News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Is this Open exciting!?!
« on: July 22, 2018, 12:16:19 PM »
This Open has the most interesting and exciting stories and twists and turns of any championship in a long time.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

MCirba

Re: Is this Open exciting!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »
Intense.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »
Just a bit
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »
Thrilling! So many twists and turns. I really enjoyed it, and what a course....

Brent Carlson

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »
Having played Carnoustie I wouldn't say it's a great course.  That being said you don't need a great course to be a solid major venue.  Carnoustie did its job well, kind of like Medinah does in the US.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »
Having played Carnoustie I wouldn't say it's a great course.

???
Each to their own I guess.
Atb

Brent Carlson

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »
Having played Carnoustie I wouldn't say it's a great course.

???
Each to their own I guess.
Atb

I'm not knocking it, it's excellent.  I do feel it's a notch below Muirfield, Dornoch, TOC, etc.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 04:33:30 PM »
It was terrific. The course got more difficult as the day wore on, and there were so many ups and downs. Except for the Champion Golfer of the year. Rock steady was he.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »
Francesco's surname is derived from the word "Molino", which is someone who worked in a mill.

He surely 'ground' it out today. Complimenti!
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »
Doesn't it just 'feel' right - the tournament and the course both? a) the hottest/current best golfer on the planet (2 firsts and 2 seconds coming in) is the one who wins it, and b) 60 year old short-hitting Bernhard Langer makes the cut and more than holds his own on a 7400 yard golf course. With all the potential variables (weather, set up etc) it turns out just right. Hurrah for deep pot bunkers, wispy rough, meandering burns, only-intermittently irrigated fairways, out of bounds markers, and the humble sanity to accept that Mother Nature trumps feverish ingenuity and our best laid plans.
Congratulations to Francesco!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:27:47 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Peter Gannon

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »
Great tournament, and another lesson on what golf is, and can be!   The best man won, even though I was rooting for Tiger, Jordan, or Rory.

John Kirk

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »
Hopefully, Francesco Molinari's final round won't get lost in in history.  I thought he played a great round today, the most memorable of the year so far.  Yes, even better than Spieth's 63 at Augusta on Sunday.  I found it riveting watching him grind out 16 pars, with two birdies on the easiest holes, to beat a tightly packed leaderboard.  A great day of golf watching.

Colin Shellard

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 06:01:09 AM »
Couldn't agree more - a fantastic Championship which produced a very worthy winner. He was in control of his ball all day, and on the odd occasion he slightly missed it his short game and putting held fast. Was great to see Tiger back in contention for a while, and with Rory, Rose and the other leaders ebbing and flowing on the back 9 it was a brilliant watch.

What ever Molinari has done to sort out his putting - he needs to have a word with Rory!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 06:37:31 AM »
Couldn't agree more - a fantastic Championship which produced a very worthy winner. He was in control of his ball all day, and on the odd occasion he slightly missed it his short game and putting held fast. Was great to see Tiger back in contention for a while, and with Rory, Rose and the other leaders ebbing and flowing on the back 9 it was a brilliant watch.

What ever Molinari has done to sort out his putting - he needs to have a word with Rory!

Butch Harmon, on Sky, said quite early in yesterday's round that Rory's problem at the moment was his wedge game, which wasn't quite dialled in to the degree you would expect, and when/if he sorts that he'll be back at world number one. Watching him play yesterday I think I agree -- so many times he biffed his driver way down the hole where almost everyone else hit an iron, and had a very short approach. And he just didn't get it close enough often enough. You can't expect anyone to make every 20-odd footer they look at.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 11:33:28 AM »
If nothing else, Jordan has firmly grasped the title of "Best player to most likely choke in the final round" given his meltdown yesterday and at Augusta.

Tiger may be known for his occasional epic, foul language outbursts....but I really wish the mic'd crew would stop following Jordan, with his incessant two year old-like tantrums.... gets old quick.

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
Adam

That's interesting. His wedge to 18 on the final round certainly was fairly average for those guys. Given Butch's comments, it does beg the question why Rory bombed it down there to wedge distance. Sometimes I wonder if Rory is so naturally gifted that he's not had to refine his game management to the same level as the other guys.

Niall

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
If nothing else, Jordan has firmly grasped the title of "Best player to most likely choke in the final round" given his meltdown yesterday and at Augusta.

Given his finish at last year's Open and his 64 in the last round of this year's Masters, I don't understand your conclusion.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Schackman

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »

Given his finish at last year's Open and his 64 in the last round of this year's Masters, I don't understand your conclusion.

Ya this seems like a harsh take. I think Tiger spoiled us on what it takes to close out a major.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »

Ya this seems like a harsh take. I think Tiger spoiled us on what it takes to close out a major.

Well, Tiger certainly didn't spoil us on what it takes to come from behind to win a major.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 04:46:05 PM »
There's a simple reason Tiger doesn't win from behind. When he's on, he blows away the field. When he's not, the handful of times are too small to draw a simple conclusion.

Jordan isn't a choker, he's a golfer. It happens all the time in professional golf, we are simply spoiled by the reign of Tiger. Read more about every single pro golfer if you find this questionable.

I love Rory and root for him all the time, but to me, he is the living embodiment of why Tiger made his first swing change in the late 90s: when he's on, he's a sight to behold, but when he's not, he won't always close the deal. If he learned to dial in his distances, he'd likely pile up a bunch of more majors. And I hope he does, I love the way he plays.

If Tiger ever returns to the attitude he had under Butch, he'll blow away Jack's record...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »
I'm not saying he's a Greg Norman or anything.

But after his gag job in 2016 where he had the lead in the Masters before he blew up, 2nd only to Norman,

And now 54 hole co-leader at the Open, and shoots a 76, the worst score among anyone in the top 30...

I'd say he's a proven final round gagger, even if he doesn't do it every time...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »

I'd say he's a proven final round gagger, even if he doesn't do it every time...

I guess it takes a gagger to know a gagger. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »

Well of course...I've gagged a few, but then so have you!   ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »

Not so much that I earned a nickname on account of it Sandman. ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »

Not so much that I earned a nickname on account of it Sandman. ;)

We all have our proud moments Garland!!  I have no problem owning mine. 

P.S.  You may have beat me twice by narrow margins on each occasion, but i sure put the stank on you in Canada!!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back