News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Silis

This is unconfirmed, but according to my source ,( and my source is as connected in Long Island as they come ) the developers of the proposed course next to NGLA have decided to get rid of Jack Nicklaus as the architect and replace him with Tom Doak!!! It seems that the controlling group now in charge doesn't feel like Nicklaus is the architect worthy of creating something special with this piece of property. They also supposedly don't like the general business practices of the Nicklaus group as they've moved further along with the project. I realize that this is an unsubstantiated rumor, but my source was told of this in person by the head golf professional at one of the premier ( aren't they all!! ) neighboring clubs!--------If this is indeed true, I for one am truly excited. To have Tom Doak be able to unleash his design genius on a piece of property with this pedigree is GCA Front Page News!!!!!!

DTaylor18

Re:Unconfirmed News: Doak to replace Nicklaus at new course next to NGLA
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 04:42:51 PM »
I hope this is true, not that that area needs any more great courses.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 04:44:56 PM »
Well No area needs more Jack N courses. I do hope it is true too.

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 05:01:58 PM »
No area needs more Jack Nicklaus courses?

I've played some that are pretty good.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 05:04:26 PM »
That does it Tiger.  You are no longer on my list!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 05:13:08 PM »
Easy now....

I think we should be somewhat supportive of Jack Nicklaus design and Jim Lipe who is a contributor here to Golf Club Atlas.

Either way, I'm hoping that all members of the International Brotherhood of Electricial Workers, whose Local in Long Island, New York have nutured this tremendous property for many years are given the respect they deserve! :)

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 05:37:55 PM »
If true, tis appears the awareness of the masses is increasing.  I'd like to think gca.com is a leading contributor to the Renaissance.  
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 07:34:19 PM »
Interesting about how he author mentions the "business" end of things. As I recall with that private one in Carmel Valley, the contract stipulated that JN Designs controlled the head pro for at least the first year. It wouldn't suprise me if this was the straw that broke tha camels back, other than the deisre to have an option filled thoughtful design, of course.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 08:55:44 PM »
I will stand by the comment that there are plenty of Jack designs. I am sure he has brought some very important things to the design bus. Maybe his clout has forced larger set backs in real estate etc. However I am glad Tom is getting a great site. Jack has had plenty of them for long enough.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 11:19:35 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Andy Silis

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 10:46:59 PM »
Another interesting piece of information my source told me was that the group behind this project already had 60 million invested in the property, permit process, environmental impact etc. so far.This is before the course construction has even begun, not to mention the clubhouse! Even considering the location, this will have to rank as one of the most expensive golf projects ever!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 01:08:44 PM »
We all like gossip, but I think to post something that is unconfirmed and negative about Nicklaus, or anybody for that matter, may be crossing the line a bit.  :(
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

LenBum

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 02:16:18 PM »
Most rumors are just "premature facts". I think this is the case here. Doak in, Nicklaus out is what I heard too.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 02:21:05 PM »
Praise Allah

JWL

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 04:33:57 PM »
Tiger,
I was hoping a fellow Tiger might have a little more confidence in me than that expressed.  But I guess I really don't have a basis for thinking that,  since you have been consistent in your praise.  My bad......anyway
GEAUX TIGERS!!!.

Brad Klein

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 04:38:31 PM »
Amazing what happens when people irresponsibly throw rumors around. They haven't the slightest idea of the most basic standards of reporting, journalistic ethics, or even grammar for that matter.

ASilis starts with a "rumor" (which by definition is "untrue"), a matter presented in the subjunctive mode - as if it were true, or were not in fact the case, or suppositionally. He then concludes from this certain outcomes, and endorses them editorially. Fools then jump on board and make it "true." Voila . . . you have the substance of a thread!

This is why Website reporting and email in general are a disaster. I don't know whether this Nicklaus/Doak speculation is true or not. But let's first find out before people commit themselves, go out on a limb, and start throwing facts around that are not at all factual.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 05:17:47 PM by Brad Klein »

jeff kitchen

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 04:44:47 PM »
I overheard a guy at the Crittenden show talking about this who was involved in it (snooping more like...). I saw the routing too. It clearly said Nicklaus design on it. Sorry to burst the bubble...

JWL

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2003, 04:45:05 PM »
Brad
At least it is nice to know that there isn't any bias expressed  on the board.   :-\

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2003, 05:12:57 PM »
Brad Kleiin,

Be careful, when you start requesting that facts be produced before people draw conclusions, you start to sound like me, and you draw the ire of the factions on GCA.com that don't like to be confused and contradicted by the facts.   ;D

rgkeller

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2003, 05:13:53 PM »

This is why Website reporting and email in general are a disaster. I don't know whether this Nicklaus/Doak speculation is true or not. But let's first find out before people commit themselves, go out on a limb, and start throwing facts around that are not at all factial.

Yes, we should always wait for REAL golf writers to write REAL stories in REAL magazines before indulging ourselves in enjoyable gossip.

Is incorrect spelling as grevious a sin as faulty grammar?

Brad Klein

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2003, 05:19:36 PM »
rgkeller,

waiting for real news would take forever. Better to make your own up.

Actually, all I'm suggesting here is that speculation not be confused with truth. This is certainly an interesting rumor about Doak and Nicklaus,but it needs to be checked out, and if it is true then the reasoning behind it will be crucial.

As for writing mistakes, I plead guilty. Spelling mistakes are almost as bad as grammatical ones, and so I went back and modified (i.e. corrected) my typo.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 05:40:47 PM by Brad Klein »

TEPaul

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2003, 07:23:25 PM »
I'm more than willing to assume for now that this isn't true--just a high-hope type 'rumor'. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if "things" are amoving behind the scenes! So let's not go on about facts just yet--let's just wait and see what happens!  :)

George Pazin

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2003, 12:04:17 AM »
Really, how can these developers expect to get any kind of quality architect? After all, no architect with any kind of reputation at all would risk sullying it by building a new course next to two acknowledged and revered masterpieces!!

;D
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brad Swanson

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2003, 12:36:39 AM »
Gettin' Wiggy with it there, George? ;)

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

Bye

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2003, 10:35:07 AM »
Well all, here's what Tim Weiman told me when I questioned the Doak and C&C courses on the Dingle Pennsula:

"Your question about Doak, C&C and the Dingle peninsula is a classic example of anonymous sniping that doesn’t add much. If you really are a professional in the golf industry and have any understanding of the complexities of permitting, then surely you know that the process can be long, have many ups and downs and is often not served by premature public discussion. There is more than one project on the drawing board in the Dingle peninsula. When either project team is ready to make an announcement, I’m sure they will. But, it could be years before that happens. "

Bye

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2003, 02:52:06 PM »
JWL, I do not wish to spread my feelings that Jack has enough shots at the best/better sites to include those that have worked in his shop in the past or are working there in the present on those projects which are outside his shop. I especially would not want that to include fellow Tigers lol. I also do not want to say that there are not alot of good things which we may not be aware of he has brought to the business to generally improve the quality of golf we play. However, I am not a fan in general of his courses and especially have a problem with his significant contribution to runaway costs. Mr Fazio has his own hand in that one too. Whether there is any truth to the rumor which started this post or not, I do feel it in golf's interest for other design teams to have exposure at some better sites and restorations in the NY metro area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back