News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: What is the worst hole at Cypress Point?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 07:29:34 AM »
For me there was a "biggest surprise hole." Number 15. When I played it I had never seen or heard of the majesty of 15. Walking from 14 across the road and turning the corner, I thought I had seen the most beautiful and perfectly designed hole in history.
All of that.  I loved 15 even more when I hit my tee shot to 6 inches......  It may be impossible to have two consecutive par 3s as good as 15 and 16.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »
For me there was a "biggest surprise hole." Number 15. When I played it I had never seen or heard of the majesty of 15. Walking from 14 across the road and turning the corner, I thought I had seen the most beautiful and perfectly designed hole in history.
All of that.  I loved 15 even more when I hit my tee shot to 6 inches......  It may be impossible to have two consecutive par 3s as good as 15 and 16.

From the courses I have played, I agree although 14 and 15 at Ballybunion are pretty darn good.

Ira

MClutterbuck

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 10:13:35 AM »
#16 is fantastic and unique, but I am not sure I would want to play that hole every day in a medal competition.

I have the feeling that most mortals would ultimately realize that they'd average a lower score by laying up to the left, per the original intent. 

But you have some serious self discipline and probably aren't much fun to hang out with if you do that as a guest on your first play.

Agreed. I am not disciplined in that manner as a guest. And got lucky on 16.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 11:34:19 AM »
#16 is fantastic and unique, but I am not sure I would want to play that hole every day in a medal competition.

I have the feeling that most mortals would ultimately realize that they'd average a lower score by laying up to the left, per the original intent. 

But you have some serious self discipline and probably aren't much fun to hang out with if you do that as a guest on your first play.

Agreed. I am not disciplined in that manner as a guest. And got lucky on 16.
  I didn't get the choice.  My caddy handed me my driver and told me I'd hate myself for ever if I laid up on what was probably the only time I ever played CPC.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Peter Flory

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 01:31:35 PM »
So, how did it go Mark? 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »
So, how did it go Mark?
Ball came to rest in the collar of rough at the very left edge of the green complex.  Chip and two putt bogey.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 05:38:21 PM »
18 is under rated as are 14 and 6.  15 (eye candy) and 17 (too many random trees in the fairway) are over rated.  But, the easy winner is #1.  It's a complete bummer starting off a game of a lifetime (or two) with a completely blind tee shot over an impenetrable hedge.  Given the massive dosh the club takes in annually, how about funding a "Boston Big Dig" to shift the turistas underground for a 100 yard "Cypress Experience" (with holograms of humpback whales) and cut down the hedge and grass over the "Bing Crosby" tunnel?

IMO....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »

From the courses I have played, I agree although 14 and 15 at Ballybunion are pretty darn good.

Ira

They are pretty good. I had forgotten that Ballybunion had back to bak par threes. Also a 5-3-3-5 stretch that is pretty unusual.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »
They are pretty good. I had forgotten that Ballybunion had back to bak par threes. Also a 5-3-3-5 stretch that is pretty unusual.

As is 3-5-5-3, which is how the Cascades ends.

WW

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »
Least favourite:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back