News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

Semi-OT: An Author's Last Round, at Freshwater Bay
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »
I'm sure (and certainly) hope many of you have read this remarkable piece of prose circulating today, but if not, you won't regret doing so now:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/my-last-round

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Jason Topp

Re: Semi-OT: An Author's Last Round, at Freshwater Bay
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
Thank you Benjamin!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
I did read it, Benjamin. We have similar tastes when it comes to good writing. And this is, for me, exceptional (golf) writing. Nothing forced, nothing consciously arty or spiritual, nothing overdone/milked for effect -- and not a false note in it. The first time in many a year that i wished they included the author's email, so I could write him to express my compliments and thanks. if there were 3 or 4 essays of that quality and truth in every issue, the golf magazines would be still be in print and being read. (It also makes me more than a touch ashamed, embarrassed and aghast at some of the the rhetorical garbage I've spouted on here over the years in the name of caring about golf and gca.)   
Peter 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:39:35 PM by Peter Pallotta »

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:42:52 AM »
I found it sad but uplifting.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 02:01:51 AM »
Wow that was emotional as I can certainly reflect on my own life and how this could be me someday, but certainly share a strong connection to my dad through this wonderful game. To say goodbye, we never welcome it, but I applaud the author for crystallizing his last round as symbolic of his life's journey forever linked with golf. 

Godspeed John Barton
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Richard Fisher

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:09:38 AM »
 Older GCA readers may recall a similarly elegiac piece in (I think) Golf Monthly by the long-standing British  golf writer David (Dai) Davies who, diagnosed with terminal cancer, chose to play his final game at Brancaster - a location which would I think be shortlisted by many of us for the Last Round.

Drew Groeger

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 11:18:59 AM »
Great article. It certainly brings perspective.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 02:08:08 PM »
Very poignant and sheds some light on how much the game means to many. I loved the way he finished with a par on his own terms.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »

Thanks to the link to a good piece I would not have otherwise seen.

I wish I could have been his editor. I’d have argued loud and long to remove the two paragraphs beginning with the things he doesn’t miss about golf.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 03:42:29 PM »
I wish I could have been his editor. I’d have argued loud and long to remove the two paragraphs beginning with the things he doesn’t miss about golf.

Different tastes. For me those paragraphs were like the 'mistake' the Navajos purposely weaved into their otherwise perfect blankets. They reinforced the presence of an actual person instead of celebrating processed cheese. To bring it to gca: I'm told by posters I esteem that The Old Course has several weak holes...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:48:00 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Scott Senior

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
That certainly makes you sit back for a minute and reflect.....

Thank God we all have golf.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 10:35:06 PM »
To bring it to gca: I'm told by posters I esteem that The Old Course has several weak holes...

I have heard the same thing, Peter, and what I would say about that is this:

Get rid of the weak holes, and the great course would be even greater.

(His list of grievances is the stuff of another essay. It doesn’t belong in this one. IMO, of course. Do I need to say that?)

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 07:29:30 AM »
I'm with Peter on this one. Language is his craft; it is not ours, and his perspective weighs greater for me.

What kind of course is Freshwater Bay? If I were to play a last round under similar circumstances, I would have ... never mind...new thread coming.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »
About ten years ago my Dad wanted one more round. He was quite ill and at 92 was unsteady on his feet. Instead of a final round we went to the practice tee with my son. The three of us hit balls for about thirty minutes. We rooted for good shots and booed the bad ones. I have a picture of my Son and Dad sitting on a bench. Erik has his arm around Dad. It is a very special memory. Dad put my first golf club in my hands and I put the first one in my son's. I'm not sure when my final round will be, but I want my son there.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

Re: Semi-OT: An Author's Last Round, at Freshwater Bay New
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 05:45:20 PM »

What kind of course is Freshwater Bay? If I were to play a last round under similar circumstances, I would have ... never mind...new thread coming.

Played Freshwater Bay today.
I had read the article but hadnt grasped the connection when I researched Freshwater Bay.
Some really, really cool and unusual holes-the three coolest in a near secret unexpected location(14-15-16) while playing an otherwise out and back seaside course.
A really unique piece of downland-narrow and barely wide enough for parallel holes.
Spectacular views and a blast to play.
I often hear the word "Holiday Golf" when describing a course under 6000 yards with some awkward terrain and a few unusual holes.
Sign me up for a steady diet of Holiday Golf .They've yet to disappoint.

A grand choice by the author for a final round.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:41:34 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

Bruce Katona

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »
I just read the article.......good one & thanks for sharing.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 11:13:57 PM »
Very moving and beautifully written.

This chap is a couple of years younger than me. That is very humbling.

My son has just come home from Glasgow University for a few days and we are heading up to Cavendish this afternoon for a game. Father and Son golf is a wonderful thing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back