News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Can melting snow show...
« on: March 21, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »
...the best places to locate natural looking bunkers?

Before this week's noreaster, i recently drove through Irem CC in northeast PA and was struck by how the remaining melting snow indicated all the little depressions, nooks, and crannies in the landscape in seemingly random yet precisely logical fashion. 

Could architects do worse than to emulate nature?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Hancock

Re: Can melting snow show...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
There would still be a lot of decision-making by humans. When is the snow melt at an appropriate point to decide where bunkers go? There could be thousands, or two, depending on the severity of the contours. If each hole has tens or hundreds of obvious depressions holding snow, who decides which “random” ones get identified as bunkers?

But, if we wanted to take a negative, critical look at some of the worst bunkered courses that exist, then yes, snow might be a better indicator of bunker location. I’d like to think that smart architects with a two good eyes could see where natural depressions exist without the help of melting snow. Which depressions they utilize is a matter of choice based on their beliefs about what constitutes good golf, coupled with budget and maintenance restraints.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »

Before this week's noreaster, i recently drove through Irem CC in northeast PA and was struck by how the remaining melting snow indicated all the little depressions, nooks, and crannies in the landscape in seemingly random yet precisely logical fashion. 

Mike,

You need a new ocular prescription :`) Those depressions are there all year!!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »

Sure. If you want all your bunkers to be facing North. At least the larger ones.  ;)
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »
I guess I'm trying to find a useful purpose for all this shite that is still falling here as I type at the end of a long, long, long winter.   :'(

Carry on.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
I guess I'm trying to find a useful purpose for all this shite that is still falling here as I type at the end of a long, long, long winter.   :'(

Carry on.

Good try. There’s no good news concerning all the snow falling in your neck of the woods. I’m feeling blessed here in Michigan with zero snow and bright sunshine, even if it’s only 28 degrees. Now I understand the “depression” aspect of your initial post!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
All too true, Joe Hancock.   All too true.

Enjoy the sunshine and send some east, please.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »
Mike,

I've often wondered same about just walking a course on a day of steady rain.  Seems you could get same info as well as learn how the more tricky greens break...

CStrange

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »
There is actually a bunker nick named the snow bunker at Colorado Golf Club.  It is a huge pair of bunkers on #7.  Coore on a site visit liked the look and placement of the remaining snow after a storm, painted a line around it and the rest is history. 

FWIW the bunker faces south/south east.  Prevailing wind during the snow event will have as much impact as north vs south facing on snow hanging around.  Significant snow gets deposited on lee slopes as would have been the case with this bunker. 

V. Kmetz

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 06:08:46 PM »
Mike,

I've often wondered same about just walking a course on a day of steady rain.  Seems you could get same info as well as learn how the more tricky greens break...

I absolutely do this at many of the courses I've worked at/caddied...walked out in a steady rain-deluge and watched the water pond, course and run...even at courses I've worked 200x...

Another oddball habit I have...looking at potato chips for familiar green contours...one time half a bag of Wise Barb-B-Q yielded 12 of the 18 greens at WFW.

cheers   vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »
Mike,

I absolutely do this at many of the courses I've worked at/caddied...walked out in a steady rain-deluge and watched the water pond, course and run...even at courses I've worked 200x...

Another oddball habit I have...looking at potato chips for familiar green contours...one time half a bag of Wise Barb-B-Q yielded 12 of the 18 greens at WFW.

cheers   vk

VK,

Excellent stuff indeed!!

P.S.  That potatoe chip quote is one of the best things I've read on GCA in awhile.  Who knew just a half bag could yield such terrific results.  If you're looking for Jim Engh greens, eat a can of Pringles....its a mortal lock you'll find lots of winners!

V. Kmetz

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »

cheers   vk

VK,

Excellent stuff indeed!!

P.S.  That potatoe chip quote is one of the best things I've read on GCA in awhile.  Who knew just a half bag could yield such terrific results.  If you're looking for Jim Engh greens, eat a can of Pringles....its a mortal lock you'll find lots of winners!

It's also a fine method of slowing down my rate of consumption of the damn things... I tend to eat them one at a time and look at em for a bit before I do a rebuild. (BTW while she may be slightly charmed, it's also a reason my partner questions what the hell she is doing with me)

cheers  vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
While snow can highlight certain features of the golf course… I don't know that it does what you suggest. It has more to do with wind patterns (swirls, predominant wind direction, etc.) and which sides of slopes face north (they hold snow longer) or which holes get more shade (also keep snow longer).
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back