News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Bel-Air CC Renovation
« on: February 27, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »
I haven't kept up with much of the renovation and just find a small amount online.  Any additional insights of how it is going and what the impact plans on being?  I have played this course before and used to coach at UCLA (not golf), so I know this course well as our AD was a member.  I did find this article by Adam Lawrence, but not much out there.

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/bel-air-country-club-starts-major-thomas-restoration-project

Also it mentions Tommy Naccarato as the golf historian, who I believe was one of the big sparks to get the King's Putter organized if I'm not mistaken?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Joe Schackman

Re: Bel-Air CC Renovation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 02:23:01 PM »
Check out the Yolk with Doak. A 3-hour conversation with much of it focusing on Bel-Air:

http://www.friedegg.co/tom-doak-podcast/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 03:54:46 PM »
Jeff:

The work should be wrapped up by the middle of March ... all of the greens are finished and seeded, and they just have a handful of fairways left to grass.  I have posted a handful of pictures of it on Instagram  @doakgolf  , but of course I am outspoken about not letting too many photos out there before opening day, to leave people some potential upside in their reactions to the work.

The members have slowly but surely gone out to see what's been done, and the reaction is very positive.  I had a few of the old guard come up to me in January when I was there for an extended stay, and say they had voted against the renovation, but they just hadn't imagined how different the course would look when it was done.

The grand opening is in July.  I'm told they have contracted with one of their members to write a piece of music for the opening ... he's been hitting range balls about every day since the course was closed.  His name is John Williams.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:32:36 AM »
Thanks Tom.  I had the honor of meeting John Williams once in the clubhouse once, I'm told he is there often. Such a humble guy. Certainly a star studded membership.
- Steve Prefontaine

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:41:35 AM »
Sitting on the porch by the 10th tee is one of my favorite spots in the world. I am glad the course is in such good hands. Now that there is a range the down time is more bearable as well. It is one of my favorite places to visit.

Jeremy Blumberg

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 09:57:41 PM »
I was fortunate to play Bel-Air last Memorial Day with one of the club's pros. He was able to tell us most of the plans for the reno and they all seemed great to me. That said, I really loved the course and will certainly be looking to get back on once it re-opens.
It is a special place--both for the golf and for the ambiance/membership as well.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »
I'm not sure if this guy is a GCA member, but he had some interesting thoughts with a few pics.

http://top100golf.blogspot.com/2010/01/zen-golf-bel-air-country-club.html

P.S. The funny part was all the snarky comments at the bottom of the page, especially the 3rd one by some guy who rips into everyone and everything...

Kyle Casella

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »
Perhaps many of you have seen, but Bel-Air re-opened to members yesterday. Tom and Jon Cavalier have posted a few photos on Instagram (including a shot of the restored Mae West mound). It looks very good!

If you haven't listened to Tom on the Fried Egg podcast talking about the work, I highly recommend it.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »
The width on the first hole alone is remarkable

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 09:11:24 PM »
Looks quite good from pictures.  Congrats to all involved!

Jeff,

Were you at UCLA when Lynn Shack played?  I am left-handed and in my next life I want his syrupy golf swing

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 01:17:57 AM »
Looks quite good from pictures.  Congrats to all involved!

Jeff,

Were you at UCLA when Lynn Shack played?  I am left-handed and in my next life I want his syrupy golf swing

Lynn was definitely before my time.)

BTW I’m playing here in late August and excited to see the renovation as guests will be just starting to be allowed to play then it appears.  Was very nice previously as just the aura of the place woes you in. So very excited to see the bunker changes and perhaps less trees?  We shall see.
- Steve Prefontaine

thomaslaffont

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »
Anyone play the restored course yet? I can't wait to hear about it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 10:01:45 PM »

Thomas:  I played opening day, with a couple of famous broadcasters who are members, one of them a former college golfer.  They both really enjoyed it.  Neither thought the golf course was easier - just prettier and more interesting. 

Several people nominated the new, shorter #5 as their new favorite hole.  #9 has also attracted a lot of love.  #6 approach claimed three victims - everyone but me.

I had the approach straight over the Mae West mound on #12, and it is very tempting to bail out into the cleavage from that angle. 😉

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 10:37:40 PM »

Member play only until September. I'm planning on playing in October.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back