News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: America's Top 15 Public Courses to go Private on January 1st!
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 10:23:32 AM »
Btw - the deadline for submitting membership forms has been extended, until EOD today. I wouldn't have believed it.
Perhaps an ill-timed decision on the part of these great publics? Maybe the private course model is really struggling these days.
I suppose the younger generation doesn't want/need 'the home course' as much as previous ones - so much great golf to be played on so many different courses, and they can travel to 2-3 of the very best every year for less than the cost of monthly dues.
For them, maybe 'architecture' that you could happily play every day doesn't mean as much.
PS - for those you have submitted already, I have seconded your applications. You're all in!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 06:31:06 PM »
Old MacDonald
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Tang

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »
Having played 13 of the 15, I'd go with Pacific Dunes.  For, me, there is no better golf than true links golf along the ocean.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
What part of "FICTION" is a certain respondent decomprehending? This has no basis in reality, other than the courses being real, public-access joints.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
The only course that I know of that has gone from public to private is Long Island National, but that is not member owned private. I don't know if the transition was successful financially. It was a great place the first couple of years and we had a 7:04 AM tee time (separate purchase) on Saturday's split between 7 men and 1 woman. Here is John's review from the old days:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8279.msg159233.html#msg159233

Any others?
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »
Mike,

I can think of two:

Emerald Dunes in West Palm Beach, FL

Hartefeld National near Kennett Square, PA
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »
My home course went public to member owned private.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Andy Ryall

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 08:30:25 PM »
Pacific Dunes given the variability in weather conditions and tee/green combos on 9/10, would present intrigue and interest on a daily basis.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 11:52:34 PM »
I suspect many would put Chambers above a few on this list...

If Chambers was private so that there was less play and as a result there was less traffic on the greens and the rounds were quicker, it would be a serious contender for me.

My answer in this scenario is Pacific Dunes. I'd happily retire there.

Pasatiempo is a close second.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

V_Halyard

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »
I will also hypothesize that I have a private jet and that joining the newly private Bandon Golf Club includes all four courses.

Ira

Sand Valley: assuming if I choose Sand Valley, I get to include C&C Sand Valley, DMK Mammoth, the Par 3 and all future unannounced tracks.
I give up Ocean views but get phenomenal and enjoyable golf, Hot Summer nights, Beer Brats and soon to be retooled Super Bowl bound Green Bay Packer games.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 03:17:34 PM »
In REALITY world, Pebble is the last 1/3 of the these 15 courses that I would pay what is cost to play there, AND that I would WANT to play.

BUT

To spend my whole life playing golf on a highly private PB - On The Monterey Peninsula - is too good to pass up.
(And hopefully a few neighboring private club members would be kind enough to have me as a guest at their fine course after I have been kind enough to host them at the very hard to get on private Pebble Beach.)

Even if I never played any other course on the Monterey Peninsula, even just enjoying the Peninsula for life only on PB would be heaven.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »
What would dues be at Pebble if it was limited to 500 members and did not allow unaccompanied play. Assuming no initiation fee. $30,000/year would sell out. Would $15,000,000 cover expenses?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »
I was told membership would be capped at 400, with monthly dues of $2800, not including the F&B minimums of about $1100 a month - to foster an old fashioned  'home club' atmosphere - and then a few other odds and ends (eg storage, club cleaning etc). Basically $48 K a year, all in. Fair enough; but the real challenge for me would've been the additional (and inevitable) assessments and one-time-project-funding fees.
But anyway, it's all a moot point now - the powers that be have rescinded the offer, and retroactively too. **

Peter
** Note that this post in its entirety is a fiction, a capping conceit to a hypothetical scenario.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:16:53 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 06:04:17 PM »
What would dues be at Pebble if it was limited to 500 members and did not allow unaccompanied play. Assuming no initiation fee. $30,000/year would sell out. Would $15,000,000 cover expenses?

How could 15 mill not be enough, even for a club in the Monterey area....

Would be interested in how much they do now...

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 11:30:42 PM »
Have only played 9 of the 15. I would have to go with Pacific Dunes or Pasatiempo. The par 3's at Pacific Dunes just make me weak in the knees. Pasatiempo because of the green complexes. Have not played Harbour Town but I would get claustrophobia. Have not played Bethpage Black but the walk would kill me on a consistent basis. Have not played Kiawah or Whistling Straits and never will based on what I have seen on TV-too many other courses on my bucket list and not enough time.

Parker Page

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2018, 12:14:10 AM »
With sincere apologies to all the others on this list - Pebble.

It might be of interest to another current thread that no one on this thread so far has chosen Whistling Straits.
Judge Smails: "How do you measure yourself against other golfers?"

Ty Webb: "...Height?"

Jay Mickle

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2018, 07:46:44 AM »
P2. I love living here in Southern Pines and it would be nice to add Pinehurst to my Mid Pines and Pine Needles memberships. Perhaps this offer will be available next year and I can add Dormie to the list.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back