News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Michigan Top 40 Rankings (2017) List with Reviews
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
A guy posting under a fake name doesn't like it, too bad.

Please deal in facts. Sean has posted under his real name from the beginning and though abbreviated clearly falls in line with the wishes of the the site's founder.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57594.msg1346065.html#msg1346065
You need to own what you say and therefore you must post under your name or something very close (JSmith works for John Smith)

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 03:41:19 AM »

This gets brought up every year, the 2016 list will explain it.  It's not fair to compare 18 holes to 9 holes.  9 holers get the advantage of using the best land.  They are to be enjoyed.

Cop out.  The most important aspect of evaluating courses to judge what is there...rather than what isn't there.

Ciao

A guy posting under a fake name doesn't like it, too bad.  We are comparing apples to apples here, sorry u don't like it.  Chapper why don't u focus on ur UK tours.  Some of us put a lot of effort into this list and it's not urs u jumped ship to play with the red coats.  Guys now do more bitching then women.

Well, no one can accuse you of being a class act  ::)

Ciao

The pot calling the kettle black.  You troll the list 2 years in a row and then accuse folks of not responding classy, lol.  You can't make this stuff up.

Asking folks to look at what is in the ground rather than what isn't is trolling?  Ok, I will give you the benefit of the doubt since I don't know you. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

BCowan

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 07:45:10 AM »

This gets brought up every year, the 2016 list will explain it.  It's not fair to compare 18 holes to 9 holes.  9 holers get the advantage of using the best land.  They are to be enjoyed.

Cop out.  The most important aspect of evaluating courses to judge what is there...rather than what isn't there.

Ciao

A guy posting under a fake name doesn't like it, too bad.  We are comparing apples to apples here, sorry u don't like it.  Chapper why don't u focus on ur UK tours.  Some of us put a lot of effort into this list and it's not urs u jumped ship to play with the red coats.  Guys now do more bitching then women.

Well, no one can accuse you of being a class act  ::)

Ciao

The pot calling the kettle black.  You troll the list 2 years in a row and then accuse folks of not responding classy, lol.  You can't make this stuff up.

Asking folks to look at what is in the ground rather than what isn't is trolling?  Ok, I will give you the benefit of the doubt since I don't know you. 

Ciao

It's all rather simple.  Our group put together a list with write ups.  For people to comment on respectfully and enjoy or ignore if they so choose.  It is rather forward and arrogant on your part to question 2 years in a row why we don't include 9 holers.  It's so simple, you compare 18 holes to 18 holes, one is missing 9 holes (I don't care if it has multiple tee box angles) it ain't apples to apples.  I recall someone doing a top 10 9ers in the country or something.  That would be a perfect thread to start or bring back since you are so enamored.  Next thing people will want 6 hole courses to be in the top 100. 

BCowan

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 07:47:02 AM »

Great list with good detail, I've personally played 10 of the courses and would agree with the ranking for the courses I've played.   The diversity of golf across the state is really impressive and aided by some excellent terrain.  Kingsley, Orchard, Meadowbrook are my top three I have played and offer very different and unique experiences.  The destination options in Michigan are getting stronger every year and offer some truly excellent public golf.  It will be interesting to see how the list moves as these new options mature.
[/quote
[/l]

Ronnie 200 plus rounds,

Glad you enjoyed it.  Many more for you to play in 2018. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:49:47 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

DFarron

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 04:37:48 PM »
First of all thanks for the list. I have been away from  Michigan about 35 years, the courses are soo much better than when I lived there!

Any list is like food....some people like strip, other filet and still others don't like any meat lol!

A little surprised on the low ratings of Arcadia Bluffs, Detroit GC South and most of all Bay Harbor. I really enjoyed Bay Harbor a lot.

Looking forward to making a trip up there next summer, maybe I can join your groups outing.

Cheers!

BCowan

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »

Drew,

Good to hear from you.  Be sure to PM me when you know what dates you'll be in town.   

Carl Rogers

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 08:13:53 PM »
What would the list look like for courses with ready access for out of staters with no local contacts?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Terry Lavin

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 10:54:27 PM »
First of all thanks for the list. I have been away from  Michigan about 35 years, the courses are soo much better than when I lived there!

Any list is like food....some people like strip, other filet and still others don't like any meat lol!

A little surprised on the low ratings of Arcadia Bluffs, Detroit GC South and most of all Bay Harbor. I really enjoyed Bay Harbor a lot.

Looking forward to making a trip up there next summer, maybe I can join your groups outing.

Cheers!

To each his own, but I thought Bay Harbor was one of the most disappointing courses I’ve ever played. I thought it should’ve remained a quarry or cement factory or whatever it used to be. And it kills me to say that because I love Petoskey and all of Northern Michigan.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brian Hilko

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 01:52:41 AM »
Amazing list. Great work. Always fun to argue about lists. The work at Orchard Lake is unbelievable. It was my personal favorite on a golf trip that included many of the Detroit golf courses on this list.

I just do not see how Wuskowan makes the list. Great club and conditions are always perfect but the golf course is a bore to me compared to the majority on this list. I found the routing to be very poor. Multiple times in the round you walk quite a ways back to get to tees and an abundance of forced carries over hazards into multiple holes. I found the course to be a big let down.

The 2 exclusions I see are The Mines in Grand Rapids and Harbor Shores. Of the 3 courses Mike built in the Grand Rapids area I thought Mines was the best. Wild property, plenty of half par holes, unique routing and lots of quirk with back to back par 3s playing similar length and the property being broken up into 3 sections but it all seems to work. I thought Mike did an incredible job.

Nicklaus, cart ball, and housing development are three things I tend to avoid but Harbor Shores works. The journey all over town is not something I want every round but adds to the unique feel of the place. Plus there are some fun risk reward holes like 3 and 10. I love the green on 11. I thought the par 3s were fantastic except for maybe 17. I could do without 16 and 6 but overall I enjoy every time I get the chance to play there. I think both these courses could easily find there way into the bottom half of this list.

If Plum Hollow got the chainsaw out and changed some of there mowing lines I could see it quite a bit higher. So much potential. 

I have not played it but is Angel's Crossing good enough to make it? I plan on playing there and Stoatin next year to find out for myself. I have heard some good things including a couple of people tell me it is better than Tullymore.
Down with the brown

BCowan

Re: Michigan Top 40 Rankings (2017) List with Reviews New
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:18 AM »

Amazing list. Great work. Always fun to argue about lists. The work at Orchard Lake is unbelievable. It was my personal favorite on a golf trip that included many of the Detroit golf courses on this list.

I just do not see how Wuskowan makes the list. Great club and conditions are always perfect but the golf course is a bore to me compared to the majority on this list. I found the routing to be very poor. Multiple times in the round you walk quite a ways back to get to tees and an abundance of forced carries over hazards into multiple holes. I found the course to be a big let down.

The 2 exclusions I see are The Mines in Grand Rapids and Harbor Shores. Of the 3 courses Mike built in the Grand Rapids area I thought Mines was the best. Wild property, plenty of half par holes, unique routing and lots of quirk with back to back par 3s playing similar length and the property being broken up into 3 sections but it all seems to work. I thought Mike did an incredible job.

Nicklaus, cart ball, and housing development are three things I tend to avoid but Harbor Shores works. The journey all over town is not something I want every round but adds to the unique feel of the place. Plus there are some fun risk reward holes like 3 and 10. I love the green on 11. I thought the par 3s were fantastic except for maybe 17. I could do without 16 and 6 but overall I enjoy every time I get the chance to play there. I think both these courses could easily find there way into the bottom half of this list.

If Plum Hollow got the chainsaw out and changed some of there mowing lines I could see it quite a bit higher. So much potential. 

I have not played it but is Angel's Crossing good enough to make it? I plan on playing there and Stoatin next year to find out for myself. I have heard some good things including a couple of people tell me it is better than Tullymore.

Brian,

Thanks for the detailed post.  The following courses were 1 vote short of getting counted. 
Angels Crossing  Lakewood Gailes Loop Red  Stoatin Brae  Cedar River   
Port Huron   

I agree with you in regards to Orchard Lake.  Orchard, Franklin, and Meadowbrook are a cut above the rest in SE MI.  I don't know how Wuskuwan made the list, Tony hates it and so do a few others, it got a few high marks but last year no one could remember why they liked it for a write up.  The last 15 are far from dialed in. 

I haven't played Harbor Shores and having played some of JN best tracks, I'm not really all that motivated to play it.  I completely disagree with you in regards to the Mines.  I feel it's MD's weakest course.  A lot is due to property constraints, but there is other things that hold it back.  I feel Diamond Springs is far and away the best in the area.  Pilgrims Run has incredibly great land and I feel that is 2nd, but a big miss due to how great the soil and land is. 

We agree completely on Plum Hollow, its so sad they want to maintain a CC in a declining area.  The course is so neglected. 

I thought Angels Crossing sucked, I played 9 holes in late October last year and left after 9, but was able to get in 18 at CC of Jackson (thank God) I made that decision for Jackson is a gem.  AC, looks like an Art Hills course trying to do Raynor greens.  I'd highly recommend playing Battle Creek with Stoatin, they are 15 mins apart.  Some good 36er days bellow.

Battle Creek/Stoatin Brae
Muskegon/Diamond Springs
Pilgrims Run/Kent

In regards to Little Traverse Bay area (Petoskey, Charleviox, and Harbor Springs) anyone with any sense is going to head straight to Belvedere, and then hit the repeat button each day you play.   An evening 9 at Charleviox muni or 18 at Boyne Ross would be a nice addition. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:23:22 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »

What would the list look like for courses with ready access for out of staters with no local contacts?

Carl,

I believe the other night I counted and 22 of the 40 are either public or you could play them on a GAM golf day which are on Mondays.  Richard Hetzel drives up from Cincinnati to play in them.  I'd say that is pretty damn good, I'd like to know of any other state that has that many assessable courses.  That number is only going to increase with the publics that will make the list next year. 

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 07:33:06 PM »
Interesting list.  I noticed that Glen Oaks (Farmington Hills), and Beech Woods (Southfield) didn't make the list.  A pity, those are the courses I grew up on.  JK JK.  Beech Woods is a Doak 0.  Good range though.

I noticed that the superintendent position has just been posted for Detroit Golf Club.  Any scuttlebutt on this?  Not that it's any of our business.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Mike Schott

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
Interesting list.  I noticed that Glen Oaks (Farmington Hills), and Beech Woods (Southfield) didn't make the list.  A pity, those are the courses I grew up on.  JK JK.  Beech Woods is a Doak 0.  Good range though.

I noticed that the superintendent position has just been posted for Detroit Golf Club.  Any scuttlebutt on this?  Not that it's any of our business.

Hi Tom.

I live about 2 miles from Beech Woods. It has it's value in that it's inexpensive, accessible and fun. I'd actually rate it a 1 but that's picking nits. Despite being sp close to Glen Oaks, I've never played it. Farmington Hills Golf Club is my home course.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 11:17:36 AM »
Hi Mike.  San Marino (9 holes) was one of my other regular plays growing up!  Now of course it's FHGC and 18.  You ever play it while it was still San Marino?  You are right, I shouldn't be so hard on Beech Woods, but I was constantly drilling tree trunks and sawing off branches in those days.  If I could do it all over again I would have just gone to Rackham regularly.  Give Glen Oaks a go sometime.  It's less claustrophobic than Beech Woods at least and there's a couple of good holes.  First course that I broke 80 on.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Mike Schott

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 02:02:58 PM »
Hi Mike.  San Marino (9 holes) was one of my other regular plays growing up!  Now of course it's FHGC and 18.  You ever play it while it was still San Marino?  You are right, I shouldn't be so hard on Beech Woods, but I was constantly drilling tree trunks and sawing off branches in those days.  If I could do it all over again I would have just gone to Rackham regularly.  Give Glen Oaks a go sometime.  It's less claustrophobic than Beech Woods at least and there's a couple of good holes.  First course that I broke 80 on.

[/size]
[/size]I did play San Marino a few times. 9 was a pretty cool hole. Have you played FHGC? It's a pretty good muni with some good holes. I like 7, 8, 12, 13, and 17.[size=78%]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back