News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Newport National
« on: October 04, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
Newport National was sold a year or two ago.  the new owner's intent is to grow membership.  So what used to be $75 or so with $55 specials is now $125 to attract members and not daily fees.  they were booked in the summer with NY tourists but now it is empty.  Played today with a gift certificate and there was no one ahead of us or behind.  I would guess there were less than 8 groups on the course.

That being said, what was of interest was that they are breaking ground on a new nine in the spring.  Live nearby and never a mention in the media.  Originally, it was to be 36 but then came the recession and houses were built where the second 18 was to be.

The third nine will be across the street with a clubhouse and I think a driving range.  Design firm is again Arthur Hills, but with Steve Forrest.  The original 18 was largely Drew Rogers and is very well designed.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Newport National
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 06:36:26 AM »
they were booked in the summer with NY tourists but now it is empty. 

Cliff,

They never appreciate us until we are gone!

I have an email into my "Maine Guide" for a late season golf trip, but if they start taking me for granted up there, I can always head back to my roots in Newport!!

We just did a surfing/hiking trip in September to Narragansett and Newport. Cliff Walk was really spectacular so thanks for posting this update. I am always looking for an excuse to go back to Newport and I think Newport National is very good. I have always liked that it has a "temp style clubhouse" but I realize that I am not the norm.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:02:28 AM »
NN has always had sort of a no-frills feel, and it is a pretty good golf course with some features you don't see every day playing your normal CCFAD.  The crushed-shell paths are a nice touch, and the whole place feels like you are playing in someone's paddock in back of a farmhouse.  I hope the elevated greens fees don't turn expectations towards too green and perfect.  You'll read many reviews (including the course website) that says it's a links, which it isn't, but I'd call it a wide-open parkland with links in mind.

NN used to be an every-year visit in March for me when the temps first hit 50 degrees and I needed to dust off the clubs.  Fees were discounted, and it's just close enough to Boston early morning without traffic (~1h) that it totally works.  I just haven't been back in a few years.

Great to hear they are adding a 3rd nine...hopefully it leads to a fourth too!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:17:02 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 12:40:57 PM »
Small world - I was there yesterday. I really like the place. There is a great mix of holes and lots of strategy in a very idyllic setting. Green complex are very good.

Surprised by the amount of open / farm land near them. Is there enough demand for another 9? How disjointed will it be to play the front 9 of the Orchard course and then the new 9? 27 is always a tough number to manage.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
I have played most of the top Public courses in New England. I don’t believe there is a better one thanNewport  National.

I would conjecture that the main purpose of the new nine is for a clubhouse and driving range. The new owners have deep pockets and as I mentioned would like to grow the membership. It is hard to attract members without a clubhouse and driving range.

I concur the logistics of nine holes across the street will be tricky. When I looked the open farmland is a bit to the left of the entrance. I’m not sure how they will get this to integrate with the rest of the course. The land also looks very flat so I suspect will do some earthmoving.  Will the nine fit in with the 18 they have? We’llsee. But if greens fees remain at the current level I will not see.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Newport National New
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:16:07 PM »
The new owners have deep pockets and as I mentioned would like to grow the membership.

I have said it before, ShoreGate on the Jersey Shore, lost a step when they added a third nine similar to the first two. Make it a different look similar to Sleepy Hollow and Maidstone. 9 holes for the "family" golfers is my suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:12:39 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back