News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Way

Re: History Behind "Evangelist of Golf"
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 04:30:24 AM »

Were you hoarding them or something?

No, but I have given one to a young man who said he was not a magazine rater. As the value falls I am afraid he may convert.

That would be SAD !

That book, and the story of its acquisition, are among that young man's most prized possessions.

I went the library route with Evangelist Joe. It's worth making an inquiry.  Luckily (but not surprisingly), the Lake Forest, IL library has a copy that they loaned to my library.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »
Why can't books be like art? I don't get the notion that everyone has the right to own even the finest offerings. How great would have the Harry Potter series been if only 10 copies of each book had been published?

Totally agreed John.  Imagine home much better the world would be if every religious manuscript only had 10 copies as well!

During the time when that was almost true, I believe it was called the dark ages. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »

No, but I have given one to a young man who said he was not a magazine rater. As the value falls I am afraid he may convert.

That would be SAD !

Certainly would be SAD to have someone polluted by your book rating golf courses. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JJShanley

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 06:06:35 PM »

That would be SAD !

That book, and the story of its acquisition, are among that young man's most prized possessions.

I went the library route with Evangelist Joe. It's worth making an inquiry.  Luckily (but not surprisingly), the Lake Forest, IL library has a copy that they loaned to my library.

I've used my university library to Inter-Library Loan (it's a verb in my world!) a number of golf items in recent years.  If there's a state university in your immediate vicinity, taking out a membership might help you source copies in the short term.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 06:34:46 PM »
The "holy trinity" of golf architecture books? Some would say maybe not, but it is pretty close, and keeps me interested each time I read and reread one of them.

IMG_0339

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:40:02 PM by Robert Kimball »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 06:53:20 PM »
Peter Yagi's catalog has (had?) for 5C. The next PBA auction of golf items is just over a month away. One might show up there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back