News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil Regan

Orkney Islands: Just Wondering...
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:31:39 AM »

I read an article about the Orkney Islands today that set me wondering.

Lyrical Isles By Sara Lodge
http://www.weeklystandard.com/lyrical-isles/article/2009131

From the article:
Skara Brae, Europe’s most perfectly preserved Neolithic village, was uncovered in 1850 by a ferocious storm. It lies by a beach and resembles a mini-golf course. There are sandy bunkers and grass-topped mounds. ... These early people made tools, heather ropes, intricate jewelry, and dimpled stone balls—a bit like sea urchins—that may have had a ceremonial purpose.

Dimpled balls that may have had a ceremonial purpose ?
Archaeologists' default explanation for mysterious artifacts is always "ceremonial purpose."
As the song goes, a thing's a phallic symbol if it's longer than it's wide.
But there is an urge as natively human as ritual, namely sport.
Grassy mounds by the sea ? Dimpled balls ?
Just wondering. :)
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

James Boon

Re: Orkney Islands: Just Wondering...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »
Neil,

I was on Orkney last summer and visited Skara Brae. I've also seen these carved stones at both the Scottish Museum and the British Museum (actually only this Saturday just gone) and magical as it would be, I dont see an early golf ball when I look at them...  ::)
http://www.teachinghistory100.org/objects/about_the_object/carved_stone_ball_from_skara_brae

Other than my honeymoon, Orkney is the only place I think I've visited in Scotland without my clubs being in the car just in case. I believe there are a couple of courses but I just didnt have time. A shame as certainly parts of the coast were screaming to have a golf course draped over them.

I did recently read up about when Scapa Flow was used as a naval base in the first world war and sailors coming ashore for a game of golf on Orkney. I recall mention that shore leave didnt leave long for dawdling so the players used to pretty much run around. If only...  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back